Skip navigation

Server in Linux....

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Server in Linux....
Level 12 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on October 4, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Got TreadMarks to work (fairly easily, surprisingly) in Linux... now for the server. Anyone have any ideas? (Using Linux Mint 13 (Ubuntu-based) and PlayOnLinux, which is mainly a wrapper around WINE and WINETricks, apparently).

As for getting the server to actually be out there on the 'Net, that may be difficult; AT&T supplied routers are brain-damaged by design. ::sigh::

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 5, 2012 at 12:20 am

won't the router do port forwarding? with my router,
i was able to give my TM server a static ip on the LAN,
and i just forwarded the 3 main ports to that LAN ip address...
ServerPort = 12300
ClientPort = 12350
MasterPort = 12499
and that has worked for me. if the router won't let you
forward any ports, then i'm not sure what you can do.

good luck with it
toodles,
harmless
:)

Posted on October 6, 2012 at 12:41 am

won't the router do port forwarding? with my router,
i was able to give my TM server a static ip on the LAN,
and i just forwarded the 3 main ports to that LAN ip address...
ServerPort = 12300
ClientPort = 12350
MasterPort = 12499
and that has worked for me. if the router won't let you
forward any ports, then i'm not sure what you can do.

Heck of it is that I've already done that. Still doesn't work. Could easily be a misconfig of the Linux firewall, but I'm not that versed on iptables and the like. Could use a bit of help there.

Posted on October 6, 2012 at 4:27 am

the linux firewall on your TM server?
if the router is a NAT router, which most all are, then...
i would not see a need for a firewall on the TM server,
just disable it and see if that fixes things.
i don't use a firewall on any of my home computers
just because they can be a pain to set up and usually
interfere with the general functioning of the computer.
spyware/antivirus software cause enough problems on their
own without the added complications of a full blown firewall.
well, anyway, it's a thought.
toodles,
harmless

Level 13 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 7, 2012 at 5:35 am

Got TreadMarks to work (fairly easily, surprisingly) in Linux... now for the server. Anyone have any ideas? (Using Linux Mint 13 (Ubuntu-based) and PlayOnLinux, which is mainly a wrapper around WINE and WINETricks, apparently).

As for getting the server to actually be out there on the 'Net, that may be difficult; AT&T supplied routers are brain-damaged by design. ::sigh::

the current generation of isps are now locking the "gates" to "your" ports

i have dealt for 4 solid years, your issue. and i have cable internet isp "charter" which is far faster than at&t will ever be.

you have only one option as AT&T and others give you no choice but to obtain your own router\modem as "their" hardware is locked and can no be "jail-broken" without getting in trouble

sorry if you spent a lot of time pondering what i had for 4 solid years.

Posted on October 9, 2012 at 12:53 am

as they say, YMMV, your mileage may vary,
and i am only writing about my experience.
but... i currently have AT&T u-verse,
and i am using the router that they supplied to me.
it is an AT&T branded 2wire router.
been using it for a couple of years now...
and i have had no problem with it once i did the
basic configuration with it. my TM server gets out
just fine... bit i also don't run personal firewalls
on any of my computers, they are just too much trouble.
toodles,
harmless

Posted on October 10, 2012 at 4:38 am

the current generation of isps are now locking the "gates" to "your" ports

i have dealt for 4 solid years, your issue. and i have cable internet isp "charter" which is far faster than at&t will ever be.

you have only one option as AT&T and others give you no choice but to obtain your own router\modem as "their" hardware is locked and can no be "jail-broken" without getting in trouble

sorry if you spent a lot of time pondering what i had for 4 solid years.
LOL! Well, I saw the nonsense back when I had BellSouth FastAccess DSL; the modem itself was a deliberately-crippled version of the Netopia Cayman router/DSL adapter. (And that's just one reason they lost a class-action lawsuit...). The AT&T router is a 2Wire, just as Harmless mentioned. What I'm aiming to do is this: Use the AT&T as a gateway only; I have a Netgear N-class router that is known not to give any problems whatsoever. All I need is to figure out how to hardwire-connect the 2Wire to the Netgear, then deactivate the AT&T wireless transceiver. Once that's done, it's a bit amusing, since the N router actually has 4 transceivers...2 of which are already programmed. And that router is fully capable for both Treadmarks (all the way across my network, not just one comp!) AND TrackMania. Wouldn't matter if I had > 62000 computers, either. LOL My netmask on the Netgear is 255.255.0.0, not something more restrictive.

In this area, Charter has been very dishonest. Their prices are ridiculously high, and their speed? Sorry... U-Verse is a heck of a lot faster.

Posted on October 11, 2012 at 5:18 am

hmmmm interesting... lol...
well, we could not get that setup to work either...
we initially had comcast... like forever... then due to reasons
i won't go into, we switched to AT&T u-verse a couple years ago.
we had a netgear wireless router with our comcast connection,
which we really liked and gave us no problems. AT&T showed up
and the installer did his thing, but used only their supplied router
since those were his marching orders. my brother, who used to build
and maintain networks at one point in his life, wanted to keep using the
netgear router, so when the at&t guy left, he tried, for like 4 whole days,
to setup the netgear router behind the at&t router.... basically, the at&t router
was supposed to take the signal in, pass it to the netgear, with the
netgear taking care of all aspects of the LAN at the house...
it never worked... no matter what he tried or configuration, the two
routers never played nice with each other... so he gave up and we put
the netgear router back in its box and it's still sitting in a closet.
the at&t router has worked fine, it was just frustrating is all.

toodles,
harmless

Posted on December 2, 2012 at 8:40 am

In this area, Charter has been very dishonest. Their prices are ridiculously high, and their speed? Sorry... U-Verse is a heck of a lot faster.

i know utah sucks for internet as my buddy r1s1ngw0lf lives there and charter does over there :)

its obviously your area ;), not mine. my area charter is cheaper, has better customer service
and has internet speed over ten times faster than att&t's fastest speed they provide under u-verse.

charter also provides the fastest speed in the whole city :D

so i will not be surprised if you live near utah

Posted on December 19, 2012 at 1:00 am

i will not be surprised if you live near utahBe surprised, then. LOL I live in the heart of the South... Alabama. And yes, I've checked with a hard-wired connection in both cases.

One huge issue I have with AT&T's residential gateway/router is the fact it appears to be highly brain-damaged. Why do I say it that way? Simple. Trying to use it simply as a gateway/Internet source rather than router has been seriously frustrating. I've an N-class router sitting on another desk (in the office, whereas the AT&T box is in the living room) that is completely set up for Tread Marks, TrackMania, etc. serving, and from more than one computer in the house. (Yep. At one point, we had two TreadMarks servers (Jen's Hell and Airport Smackdown) running simultaneously. Worked beautifully, most of the time. Now, the AT&T router won't let either connect to the 'Net. Come to think on it, I ain't sure I can even play on others' online servers. ::mutters:: And this is all being caused by the fact my N-class router isn't VDSL compatible. :sigh:

Posted on December 23, 2012 at 4:40 am

i will not be surprised if you live near utahBe surprised, then. LOL I live in the heart of the South... Alabama. And yes, I've checked with a hard-wired connection in both cases.

One huge issue I have with AT&T's residential gateway/router is the fact it appears to be highly brain-damaged. Why do I say it that way? Simple. Trying to use it simply as a gateway/Internet source rather than router has been seriously frustrating. I've an N-class router sitting on another desk (in the office, whereas the AT&T box is in the living room) that is completely set up for Tread Marks, TrackMania, etc. serving, and from more than one computer in the house. (Yep. At one point, we had two TreadMarks servers (Jen's Hell and Airport Smackdown) running simultaneously. Worked beautifully, most of the time. Now, the AT&T router won't let either connect to the 'Net. Come to think on it, I ain't sure I can even play on others' online servers. ::mutters:: And this is all being caused by the fact my N-class router isn't VDSL compatible. :sigh:

well, your gonna have to replace that AT&T modem :)

i had to do the same thing with charter, it would not let anything go inbound FIREWALL OR NO FIREWALL

(AS THERE ARE SETTINGS HIDDEN THAT CAN NOT BE ACCESSED)

good luck as your only option nowadays is to own the router, and modem (ATT&T BOX BE REPLACED!)

Try setting your stuff via DMZ (That may help)

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 5:31 am

Okay... right now, I'm mainly interested in trying to get the server to even launch. Tried two different command lines, and neither produces an actual server; one apparently does nothing, while the other loads the game, but clicking on "start dedicated server" does... nothing. This despite the fact I have a known-good copy of "dedicated.cfg" in the directory with Treadmarks! Ideas on how to wrestle with WINE to get it to load would be much appreciated. (and yes, I know of at least one server that's run on Linux, so help should be out there! LOL)