Skip navigation

TreadMarks under other OSes...

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > TreadMarks under other OSes...
Level 12 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on August 13, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Just as a test, last year I tried installing TreadMarks 1.6.2 in Linux Mint 10. By golly, it worked, and better framerate (by far!) than under Windows. Go figure.

Used PlayonLinux to get it to work. This should work fine for any variant of Linux, also.

Any other OSes represented? (BTW: Now running LM13:Maya, and it rocks.)

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 15, 2012 at 2:35 am

i've been using codeweaver's crossover to play treadmarks
on mac osX ever since apple started using intel cpu's
and my treadmarks server has been running on xandros linux (v2) for what seems like forever,
again using codeweavers crossover that came bundled with xandros.

toodles,
harmless
:)
and osX's default keystroke combo [[ command+shift+3 ]] for full screen shots,
has worked flawlessly for all of the end of game screen captures i've taken.

Posted on August 23, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Now if I can just get the server to actually fire up... ::mutter:: Using current version of PlayOnLinux, which is primarily a wrapper around WINE... that is (ordinarily) easy to use.

The command line I'm trying to use on the shortcut is "env WINEPREFIX="/home/rdanner3/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Treadmarks" wine C:\\Program\ Files\\Tread\ Marks\\TreadMarks.exe C:\\Program\ Files\\Tread\ Marks\\dedicated.cfg"

(Apparently, "\ " is an escaped space, while "\\" is an escaped backslash.)
Problem is, it isn't starting the dedicated server (which is using the exact same configuration file I use successfully in Win7) at all. Still not sure what's going wrong. Anyone using Linux have any ideas here?

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 25, 2012 at 12:30 am

only thought i have [ to simplify life ]
is to copy your TM directory, some other place and take out any spaces
in the folder names... like... copy it all to a folder called TM on C -> ie C:\TM
at least on window computers, this works just fine.
if nothing else, it makes typing easier.

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 13 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 1, 2012 at 3:42 am

Just as a test, last year I tried installing TreadMarks 1.6.2 in Linux Mint 10. By golly, it worked, and better framerate (by far!) than under Windows. Go figure.

Used PlayonLinux to get it to work. This should work fine for any variant of Linux, also.

Any other OSes represented? (BTW: Now running LM13:Maya, and it rocks.)

For Windows
i've used TM on windows 2000, win 98, win xp 32bit, win vista 32-64bit, win 7 32-64bit

For linux
WINE under Puppy/Ubuntu linux 32-64bit, and CrossWeaver (old version) under Ubuntu linux

i have tested it on:

Sony PCG-XG500, 700mhz PIII 256MB SODIMM(SD) RAM 8MB Savage IX video card with winxp\puppy installed with lowest quality graphics

performance, 100% on both OS's

---------------------
For higher-end pc's

i tested ubuntu linux 32-64bit\windows xp 32bit\7 32-64bit OS'S with a p4 3GHZ and the other being an AMD Athlon 64 D-core 2.3GHZ with gaming video cards ranging 256MB to 1GB

all of em were PCI Express with dvi\vga inputs (not hdmi)

with the highest graphic quality settings on, performance was 80% to 100%

both OS's performed about the same on each computer

in my situation TM ran slightly better on windows xp\7 than linux probably because all my pcs have been tweaked with nlite and i have either removed or disabled Microsoft's turds lodged in thee "services"

if you don't know what "services" are in windows. then chances are your pc is a sluggish fuck and you might blame incorrect "things" such as your PC itself for being to slow. :)

Posted on September 16, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Well, LOL! I use iolo System Mechanic Pro (currently in v11) to manage the services in Windows. My biggest issue is that in Windows, my frame rate is rarely above 20 unless my graphics size is too small to look worthwhile, but that's probably because I'm forced to depend on the video chipset burnt into the Intel i3 CPU. (Laptops don't exactly come with configuration options in re:video, you know...) ::sigh::

But the main issue I seem to have with the attempts at bringing up TM server in Linux (especially since I'm using a known-to-work dedicated.cfg (the one from my Windows-side server...)) is the fact that the stupid AT&T router is not permitting us to even ping the master server. (Yes, I have the current IP set.)

The newest version of the Black Plague is rockin', BTW! Based on the Multiple Rocket Launcher and lasting a mere 45 seconds, it still produces serious fraggage. Last deathmatch, I had 99 AIs in (in two teams) and it was nothing but "Chaos!" the whole 20 minutes...still came out of it with over 270 kills. (Thanks, Rick, for correcting the 255-kill rollover bug!)