Skip navigation

How do people make good pics?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > How do people make good pics?
Pages 1 2
Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 22, 2005 at 2:08 pm

Wow how all you modders make the textures for stuff-the best I can do is to change the ones that are already there. :oops:

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on August 22, 2005 at 6:21 pm

I use Photoshop

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 22, 2005 at 8:17 pm

Paint shop pro for me, though I hate doing UV based textures :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 22, 2005 at 9:39 pm

There is a nifty screen graber in tm but i forgot how to set it up.. i personally use Paint Shop Pro but i also use Gimp and Photoshop.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 22, 2005 at 9:44 pm

I think it was something about editing the config.cfg file, and adding a screenshot entry... don't remember how to do it either... lol.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on August 22, 2005 at 11:42 pm

Oh, for screenshots...yeah...config file. I'd have to look it up again - been a while since I did it. --RC

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 2:39 am

er you mean like a skin for a new weap/tank(sometimes called texture mapping)? well its a convoluted path...

Posted on August 23, 2005 at 4:46 am

Thx guys :wink:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 11:00 am

I'd suggest getting something to generate decent amounts of chaos for a randomish rust or anything organic (apophysis, fractint, and other fractal software are nice). Depending on what you want, you can posterize and colorize/hue shift it in GIMP. I use inkscape now adays for making templates and layouts. There's of course lithium's uvwrapper program, which will take a TM model and make a skin template for you as well. GIMP usually combines it all... the random colors and texturing, the template, and everything else you want for a decent texture. Realize that GIMP has it's own chaos filters too... btw.

OH! and if you wanna make models, the best way to do it free is getting blender (the thing is AMAZING now). It takes a while to learn, but all you need is the cube and the E key (extrude). I suggest getting to learn about the extrude key and face select, as anyone can make a new gun or tank rather instantly with that. As well, you'll want to look online for how to convert the blender files to lwo's. My other suggestion is that you convert something like the destroyer into a file blender can read so you can get what scale Tread Marks works on. I know you can scale the meshes, but it's easier just have a tiny bit of tweaking as opposed to a ton of it... I HATE having to load TM repeatedly.

This all said, if you want to take it and use it, learn to use google. I've told you all that you probably won't find there... everything else IS there. One of these days I might even post my custom tanks and everything. I'm sure if Noper were here, he'd say the same thing it told me all the time: Don't ask me, ask the search engine.

:D

Posted on August 23, 2005 at 11:31 am

Lol thx,

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 2:45 pm

I back up everything Dudymas says. Gimp, Inkscape, and Blender are wonderful (Inkscape is still a little immature, but it's certainly usable for vector art).

I'll also add that Wings3D is a nice modeller, although that's all it is. It doesn't do all the stuff Blender does. It is, however, quite a bit more intuitive (where as you're unlikely to harness Blender without reading the documentation).

Philippe, our artist, primarily uses Lightwave and Photoshop.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 5:29 pm

I use Paint Shop Pro, Blender, Inkscape, and Terragen for all my graphics.

--RC

Posted on August 23, 2005 at 6:50 pm

hehe, I use Lightwave for 3d work. After all, thats the format that Treadmarks uses. :twisted:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 11:06 pm

Ah man i wish i had Light wave. Its the best but im a poor student that can not aford any thing so im stuck with MilkShape3d. Blender is ok, i couldnt get used to it, so is Anim8or, and Gmax. But Gmax does not suport .lwo format so there is aalot of converting there. Oh Lithium Unwrap is awsome and that other one i thin is called Unwraper or somthing. one last thing, Ultimate Unwrap Is awsome nut it has a hefty price tag for the type of program.

Milk Shape 3D 25$
Paint Shop Pro 90-100$
Gimp free
Photoshop 90-100$
Lithium Unwrap Free (if u find it)
Ultimate unwraper 40$
Light Wave over 2000$ i think unless you get a school discount or somthing
Anim8or free
Blender free
Gmax Free

Ok ill stop sales pitching :wink:

Long Live Open Source

Posted on August 24, 2005 at 4:28 am

I think I'll stick to the free ones since I'm not all too experienced with modeling. (I usually spend hours on paint to get the right effect ) :lol:

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on August 24, 2005 at 7:26 am

Photoshop 90-100$

Huh? That must be for the stripped down version.

Photoshop: ~$600

Posted on August 24, 2005 at 8:50 am

90-100 USD is more like the price for the upgrade.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 24, 2005 at 10:36 am

talking about paint... I wonder why ms never enhanced it... it is a usable free tool; they "took" most other people ideas... they could "grab" more from gimp and make it better... I like paint... it saved me from spiderwebs growing under my armpits when I used to work in the customer service field with terminal pc's :lol:

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on August 24, 2005 at 12:38 pm

Well, it would be a good way for them to undermine the GPL with more and more people discovering The Gimp.

I don't exactly think that's a good thing, though.

Posted on August 25, 2005 at 4:52 am

So does anyone know where I can find GIMP and Blender? (Preferably for free)

Pages 1 2