Skip navigation

Retroactivity of Rome AI?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Retroactivity of Rome AI?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 27, 2012 at 6:15 am

Specifically for you loveable developers at Longbow =)

Will the improved/new Rome AI (specifically Sandbox's intended 'expansionist' AI) and diplomacy options be made available retroactively to Hegemony: Wars in Ancient Greece for those buying Rome?

I've long since had plans to create a campaign based solely on console commands, but when I heard Rome would have additional modding support I put them on extended hold, because that way I could probably design something far more 'consumable' that others could enjoy, too. If the new AI of Rome was made available to Greece, that would be the icing on the cake.

The primary thing is I have multiple ideas for an alternative history Greek campaign (What if Argos didn't move for peace at what would have been the Battle of Epidaurus during the 'Peace' of Nicias?) and would like to express them in a more elegant and fun manner than text in a forum with spoiler tags working as objectives and console commands. I certainly have ideas for Italy and Northern Europe (what if Thurii had been a bigger success?) but my plans for Greece are richer.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Unfortunately, the new AI and modding changes won't be ported back to Hegemony Gold. Rome has undergone significant changes under the hood in order to support more units with more AI and it is no longer compatible with the code in Gold. Furthermore, the rule changes in Rome are significant enough that even without the engine changes the new AI wouldn't know how to play gold properly.

However, while there won't be any major new additions for Gold, we will do our best to continue supporting it.

Good luck with the Greek campaign ideas!

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on August 4, 2012 at 12:06 am

Just wondering... if the moddability of Rome is such that one could recreate/import the greek map into the rome game/engine and mod-create their own campaign from scratch? I don't think it would be quite as easy as the OP was hoping for but is such a total conversion possible in Hegemony: Rome at all?

If yes, then I don't see what could be stopping a whole range of people creating a whole range of their various little favourite historical/fantasy scenarios.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 4, 2012 at 10:04 pm

It's our goal to make the map editor available in the long run, but unfortunately we're not going to have the time to get it polished enough for the public for the initial release. When it is ready though you'll be able to import the freely available NASA satellite data for anywhere in the world as well as sculpt your own terrain from scratch.

What we are hoping to have ready on release are easy ways to add units, stances, city/unit upgrades and factions and to modify most game stats. The game also uses a new lua scripting system that will make it easier for the more adventurous types to setup custom scenarios.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 6, 2012 at 9:23 am

Sounds like more functionality than I ever hoped for. Very much looking forward to cooking up some ahistorical adventures. Thanks for the feedback =)

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on August 6, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I thought about Egypt, the fights against Beduins in the Sinai, Nubians in the South, the mysterious Sea Peoples, perhaps some peoples like Kanaan or the Hittites or Lybia as well and of course also some bitter internal struggles... Will it be possible somehow to make pyramids buidable? I mean, also obelisks, the sphinx or mastabas would be cool, but they do not represent Egypt as good as pyramids would... So, would it be possible for a modder to make pyramids buildable objects like the bridges, forts or camps? And to make them buildable only on specific points of the map (like Saqqara, Meidum, Dahshur or Rostja/Giza where there actually WERE pyramids)?

But on the other hand, there are some disadvantages too, I think, the biggest one being the really LONG period of Egypt's history as an advanced civilization... Perhaps some single, albeit ahistorical scenarios could be extracted like a family trying to stay neutral during a civil war between Upper Egypt and Lower Egypt, being at war with both at the beginning but forced to effect some sort of treaty... Perhaps with two very aggressive and powerful opponents, who will attack one another and eventually siege the settlement governed by that family, simply because it's on their way...

Would bring the player into the situation that s/he would be forced to defend him-/herself against really BIG armies instead of 'just' conquering or delaying enemies...