Skip navigation

AI acting kind of strange

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > AI acting kind of strange
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on July 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I've been replaying the Philip Campaign on expert with normal food production and the computer goes ape over food resources. I notice this because as I move into a new area that contains a sheep spawn point there are often 2 or 3 faction's armies fighting to the death over a single sheep. They literally throw everything they have at it and then they all stay there and run out of food. If I'm fast I can capture hundreds of slaves from exhausted hoplite units as when they are revealed on the map they are all suddenly defeated and I get spammed with accounts of troops dying and they often don't get to run away.

I've noticed something similar in the Peloponnese and Phocia where you can see the northern coast but don't have the area revealed yet. Troops just sit there in sight with no food or morale. I often find enemy troops in the territories of other nations seemingly going for their sheep too. It's somewhat understandable if they're fighting each other but its really just about getting the sheep and it makes taking territories far easier than it should be as their manpower is vastly depleted.

There's also the fact that the AI seems to know whenever and wherever you are moving sheep (especially in Scythia) and non-combatants such as the scholars for Paying Respects and will come from incredible distances to kill/capture them. While I understand the need to protect your people and resources the fact that the AI knows my movements without actually seeing them is a little annoying.

And while I'm pointing out odd behavior why do the boats from Corcyra always sail up to the area near Doclea and then promptly turn around and leave without landing troops?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I have noticed the same thing in the same places. Also in Thebes.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I have had a couple reports about the AI fighting too much over sheep and I'm trying to look into it. A couple months ago we were getting reports of sheep no longer spawning and we determined that it was because the AI was ignoring them too much and so sheep were stockpiling in AI controlled areas. I made a few changes to allow the AI to go after sheep more aggressively and unfortunately I'm now getting the impression we may have over compensated.

Regarding your other issues, there is a limited range for which the AI will scan for scholars, princess, etc but due to processing limits it is simpler than the player's fog of war. Ironically, I think the other issue you mention about the boats turning back might be because the AI doesn't know the defences around the landing site and then changes its mind once it gets within view.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Wow thanks for the fast response! The funny thing about the Corcyran boats is that I never have any troops there. I remember a while back they used to land there and tear up farms. For the last...who knows how long...they just sail up, beach and then turn around and leave even though they're completely unopposed!

Now that you mention it I do remember there seeming to be a lack of sheep respawning. I can understand the aggression but I don't understand the massive pile of units (10-20 units) that are just sitting there without food and morale. Then when I reveal the area they're all suddenly defeated. Its like they're just all sitting there for some reason and not really fighting each other and only react when I see them.