Skip navigation

modding questions - hegemony gold

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > modding questions - hegemony gold
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 14, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hi all!
I recently did stumble across this gem of a game - first the demo, then rapidly bought the game. I have now 'lost' a lot more hours to it than I should. I do seriously enjoy it - you really see that a lot of thought went into quite a few design questions.

Now for some questions: I did manage to mod it a (very little) bit - I enjoy having very few recruits but the game stance of 'no recruits' is just a little bit too harsh as only Pella gains any recruits and all cities below size 8 or so gain /none/. So I created a 'intermediate' level between 'normal' and 'off' by 'modding' global.xnt (found in ressources/data): normal recruitment has a value of 0.0275, recruitment off has a value of 0.0. I did change 'off' to 0.006, this gives me a trickle of recruits but still forces me to be very careful with my phalangites. I am thinking of reducing this even further to 0.004

If anyone is interested in copying this, all you need to do is (create a security copy of global.xnt first!) open global.xnt, search for the line:

<recruitment level="off">0.0</recruitment>

and exchange it with

<recruitment level="off">0.006</recruitment>

Thats it. If even I can do it anyone can do it.

Now my question:
1) I would like to raise the difficulty level - is there any possibility to give the AI more recruits than I receive (for example having the AI receive the double or tripple ammount)?
2) Is there a possibility to have the AI gain more units per city, for example doubling them? Increasing their food supply and/or gold supply?
3) Is there a possibility to have the AI attack with larger armies (both when they attack my field army or when they send raiding forces)?
4) Is there a possibility to make battles last longer (=making both loss of soldiers and morale slower)? This would make it harder for me to defeat the AI piecemeal as I have been doing a lot.

Thanks for your help!

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 15, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Glad to hear you're figuring out the modding. We appreciate it is a little limited in Gold and we're hoping to expand it a lot in Rome.

While I believe there is a stat to give factions a recruitment bonus, unfortunately I'm not sure if it is accessible. For combat you could look at some morale loss stats or change the unit's hitpoints in the globals.xnt

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on July 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm

hmm... is there a way to reduce the flanking bonuses? at least for you against the AI. That is how I defeat the AI so handily! Also possibly lowering the attack value of ballistas against cities... and other troops? If I am not mistaken, the enemy never gets stacking penalties, do they?

Thank you for figuring this out, I came to the same conclusion about the no recruitment mode I will be trying this!.

OK I just made the edit that you suggested... now to one of your questions: 1) I would like to raise the difficulty level - is there any possibility to give the AI more recruits than I receive (for example having the AI receive the double or triple amount)?

I think this is the answer: <playerrecruitingbias>0.25</playerrecruitingbias> <!-- player recruits faster than the AI -->

I would love to feel like just brute forcing things is nearly impossible and making the smart victory is necessary to win against all the odds against you.

Here are some interesting things to change that I found which could swing things in the AI's favor

<constfriendlyroutmoraledamage>-0.10</constfriendlyroutmoraledamage> <!-- max morale lost when a friendly brigade routs -->
<constenemyroutmoralebuff>0.20</constenemyroutmoralebuff> <!-- max morale gained when an enemy brigade routs -->