Skip navigation

Total War Rome 2

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Total War Rome 2
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 13, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Fret not! I am not here to bash hegemony! I really enjoy the series. I am here to pose the question: Total War Rome 2, good or bad for Hegemony Rome? Either way, I will buy both (:

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on July 14, 2012 at 11:55 am

Hegemony Rome will complement Total War nicely and yet is different enough that many Total War fans should enjoy Hegemony Rome and hopefully, will give us a try.

As long as we can release a few months before Total War Rome 2, we should be okay and may even benefit somewhat from the attention they will generate for the genre and time period.

Now, we just have to stay on schedule. :)

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on July 14, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Do you know what dates you are releasing a beta and maybe rome? :)

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on July 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm

We're hoping to get to beta by the end of this year with a full release around the middle of next year.

Regarding TWR2, we're not really that concerned. We've got a really strong idea of what Hegemony's strengths are at this point and we're not really focusing on the same things. Total War seems to be trying to make the individual battles as epic and detailed as possible while Hegemony's more about the flow of the entire campaign that includes the battlefield tactics but also the important strategic decisions about getting the men and resources to the right place to make those battles possible. And besides, creative assembly is like 20x our size so we only need a small fraction of the market to survive.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on July 21, 2012 at 8:30 am

Longbow is actually VERY fortunate that TW2 is coming out. What better way to bring attention to the genre than having a AAA game coming out the same time? Torchlght 2 benefited similarly by the wave of interest in Diablo 3. While TL2 plays exactly the same as D3, fortunatley for Runic (TL2 devs) many fans were disappointed in D3 so they've been forced to look for alternatives- that mean more sales for Torchlight 2(which will be a great game)

Hegemony Rome will benefit because they are different, and not just a "clone" of TW2. I know that after Shogun 2, i'm sort of burned out on the TW formula- unless Rome2 is vastly different i wont be as excited. I'll still purchase it day 1, but any alternative to the TW style while staying in the same time period will be GREATLY appreciated.

I wish you guys the best of luck. Make a great game and kick butt. I say this not only for you, but for me! i want a kick-ass game to play!!!

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on July 25, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I am super pumped about both coming out, I agree that if you release before it will be good. I am looking forward to Rome 2 as much as Hegemony: Rome. I have sunk hundreds of hours into both games. I was so happy (and surprised) when I figured out the mouse click interface to orient and resize units and wondered why in the heck TW games don't have it! TW always makes me sad for it usually being too easy to steamroll its campaigns, for not having a developed enough economy and for a lot of things being "pulled from thin air" like the inability to move all the way across the Italian Peninsula in an entire year, or the ability for two armies to stare each other in the face for a whole year (somewhat fixed with the influence ranges in Empire) and a lot of other things like that which pull me out of the experience. Thanks for making Hegemony Gold, it is one of the strategy games I've always wanted to play and I can't wait to get Hegemony: Rome!

Level 6 Human Gamer
Posted on July 29, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Although I love TW and have been entertained for 1000+ hrs with their products, I found that fighting from a top down perspective growing stale. Dont get me wrong I still load up Rome TW and stomp around just fine. What it lacks I found in Mount and Blade, the command of an army and the hands on battling you can do. I was fully impressed with the immersion although the game lacked some finesse and had it rough spots. I found it was just the thing to ease my mind. Running down looters with 100 Swadian Knights full bore...... or letting my archers just decimate the charging enemy as they slow to a halt on a steep incline.... too much fun.

I just bought Hegemony Gold on steam and am looking forward to the Rome version...

Currently I am running into a lack of sheep. Its been 3 winters and no sheep. The same issue with enemy units fighting over sheep is in the game as of this post.

If there is a patch I am missing please let me know. Im on steam and it is supposed to be fully patched and up to date.

Level 8 Human Warchanter
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 1, 2012 at 4:44 am

I've read that only so many sheep units will be around at a point in time, so if you have some in your cities, you'll need to disband/turn them into food so new ones can spawn.

Level 6 Human Gamer
Posted on August 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I have disbanded them all still no sheep.=(

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on August 3, 2012 at 12:18 pm

There's a new patch, but it's in beta. Link: http://www.longbowgames.com/forums/topic/?id=2786 The reason why you don't have any sheep is because the AI is hoarding all of its. There is a limit, 75 I think, on how many sheep there s can be on the map at once. So while you may hve used up all of your sheep, the AI isn't getting a bunch of wild flocks in it territory.

Level 6 Human Gamer
Posted on August 3, 2012 at 7:35 pm

I have the most updated version of the game .... Finally after 3 years of winters 3 sheep spawned. I didnt kill off any sheep or use em.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on December 13, 2012 at 5:16 am

Rome 2 should be good, especially the graphics. Still sometimes play Rome: Total War 1.
Always been a fan of Total War, however prefer Hegemony, since I bought it last week, as it's more fun, and got the seemless zooming out/in feature between the map and battles.
Of course 'Rome 2: Total War' may take away some sales from 'Hegemony: Rome', as they are the same ancient Rome genre, and similar type games, however the games are slightely different enough, and Hegemony in some ways is better than the Total War series, to be able to still make enough sales.

Rome 2 will be good, and doubt it will be a let down in the ancients genre, unlike 'Age of Empire 4.'
I remember I couldn't wait for Age of Empire 4 (ancients genre) to come out. Obviously as 'Age of Empire 1: The Ancients', was obviously too old and had bad graphics (for today's times). Therefore was always waiting for their updated ancients genre to come out, with good graphics.
Didn't realise how extremely let down I would be when it finally came out, by their childish cartoon graphics... therefore haven't bought the game. So had to stick to playing Age of Empire III.

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Posted on December 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Agreed, the new AoE was one of the biggest let-downs for me. I've played that series since the beginning, but this recent internet based joke is a shame and a sham.

As far as Rome II TW I have an uneasy anticipation. By the end I could only play Rome I with the Europa Barbarorum mod, which added a ton of depth, complexity, and mini-historical essays - the latter being a primary reason why I enjoyed it. I can only hope that Rome II gives enough depth to the campaign map simulation. That same type of historical reflection from the EB mod is paramount to immersion and I hope Hegemony Rome keeps it from Heg Gold - where even campaigns not carried out IRL would have accompanying objectives to give breakdowns on historically plausible reasons why the Macedonians would have invaded the area.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on December 16, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Since it is almost the end of the year I was wondering if the beta is on track for release soon?

I have been listening to the History of Rome podcast(recommend it to all fans of Rome, one of the best history lessons on Rome I have ever used) on my drive to work and it has got me pumped to play hegemony Rome or RTW2