Skip navigation

Elemental questions

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Elemental questions
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 19, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Hi,

I have recently noticed this game bundle on GameStop (former Impulse) and with a great help from Katapraktoi's Let's Play serie I really got tempated to buy ;)

However I would like to know few thing and since I have not found any form of manual...

1) Experience/leveling/abilities - some info about heroes - how much they are effective, what abilities (pasive/active) can they learn, how much strength they gain by leveling etc...
2) Concept of slaves and migrants?
3) Supply routes - if I understand properly you have to link all your building to be able to replenish lost troops? Any details on this unique tool?

Thanks in advance for reply and if there is some guide book I missed apologies in advance.

Regards,
Marty

Level 22 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on June 20, 2012 at 6:56 am

You can always download the demo from our site or from Steam.

That gives you a chance to try the game and browse the ingame manual before buying.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on June 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

1. Only units level, leaders add experience to a unit. They provide a mrginal bonus.
You have four items to level: unit speed, siege speed, food usage and morale. All of these items are quite straightforward what they do and can provide quite an edge if used properly.

2. When a unit breaks (morale is down to zero) it stops to fight and tries to flee, if you catch them before they flee and escape they can be captured or executed. Captured enemies turn into slaves that can be used to work in mines or to transport food for large campaigns.

3. Supply routes allow food to transfer between cities they also provide a small gold bonus. Units are replenished automatically if there are no enemies nearby, if they are in supply of a city and the home city has enough recruits. Recruits are generated automatically and if you can change the home city of all your units.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on June 20, 2012 at 1:45 pm

migrants?

Migrants are only in the Philip of Macedon campaign and are given as a reward for completing certain objectives. Once earned, you can move the migrants into a Macedonian city to increase its population and therefore increase its city's gold and recruit production. The migrants only appear in the Philip campaign as they were designed to represent the significant urbanization program Philip began shortly after taking the throne.

I have recently noticed this game bundle on GameStop (former Impulse)

If you haven't noticed already, GameStop is still selling Hegemony at the old $30 price but you can get it from us, Steam or GamersGate now for just $20 if you do decide to buy it.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on June 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Hi,

thanks for replies. Game bought :) I prefer GameStop digital distribution over Steam because Steam is still using DRM and that is something I will not support. Plus I like the GameStop client, it is tidy in my opinion.

Regarding game I really like the game play but I have some remarks/suggestions/questoins.

Does unit loose it experience when it flees from battle?
Can game be modified some way? Mean balance etc?

Maybe a suggestion for Hegemony: Rome
More RPG - more abilities for unit and heroes, definitely (at least for sandbox) possibility for heroes to level up and customize (mostly sandbox).
Some kind of towns evolution, I know the child mortality rate was tremendous those times but prosperous towns should still have some way to grow.
Supply routes between towns should be created automaticaly - I don't really see a reason not to.
Can unit attack enemies in close proximity automaticaly?

Regards

Posted on June 21, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Steam is still using DRM ...
Thanks for the purchase! But just to clarify for anybody else, the Steam version of Hegemony doesn't use their DRM and you can even use the serial code that steam would give you to unlock the demo from our site or from anywhere else you can download it. You can also register your serial number with us ( https://www.longbowgames.com/gamereg/ ) and we can look it up for you if you were ever to lose it (just yesterday I replaced an order that went back to 1999).

Does unit loose it experience when it flees from battle?
Units in Hegemony are persistent, so unless you disband it, the unit will keep it's experience.

Can game be modified some way? Mean balance etc?
All of the units' stats are accessible in the file 'globals.xnt' in resources/data and can be edited in any kind of text editor

More RPG - more abilities for unit and heroes, definitely (at least for sandbox) possibility for heroes to level up and customize (mostly sandbox).
Rome does feature a completely new upgrade system that allows you to use XP to promote a wide variety of officers in your legion which add additional abilities to your units. A similar system also allows you to build upgrade buildings for your cities. The "heroes" or generals in Rome will still have fixed skills but there are now a lot more variations than the four skills in Gold. You can also assign generals to be city "governors" which will apply applicable bonuses to the city.

Some kind of towns evolution, I know the child mortality rate was tremendous those times but prosperous towns should still have some way to grow.
The reason cities don't really grow in Gold/Rome is because the games were meant to model a relatively short period of history (10-20 years) where you wouldn't have seen huge shifts in population. We also wanted to keep the focus on the military aspects rather than on growing cities.

Supply routes between towns should be created automaticaly - I don't really see a reason not to.
You're correct that you do always want to connect your cities but, particularly later on, you will find the number of connections is limited and you'll need to make choices which cities you want to connect to each other.

Can unit attack enemies in close proximity automaticaly?
We are working on a new stance/initiative system for Rome that will let you give units standing orders for how they should act and how pro-active they should be.

Thanks for the comments!

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on June 23, 2012 at 4:48 am

Hi,

wow, it is surprising to see gain this kind of feedback from dev. team. I am impressed. Gratitude and respect for listening & answering community ;)

But just to clarify for anybody else, the Steam version of Hegemony doesn't use their DRM Really? I thought 99,99% of Steam games uses this crapy costumer-bullying technique. Thumbs up for those who live free of DRM shackles!

Rome does feature a completely new upgrade system that allows you to use XP to promote a wide variety of officers in your legion which add additional abilities to your units. A similar system also allows you to build upgrade buildings for your cities. The "heroes" or generals in Rome will still have fixed skills but there are now a lot more variations than the four skills in Gold. You can also assign generals to be city "governors" which will apply applicable bonuses to the city.
The reason cities don't really grow in Gold/Rome is because the games were meant to model a relatively short period of history (10-20 years) where you wouldn't have seen huge shifts in population. We also wanted to keep the focus on the military aspects rather than on growing cities.
For both points, I understand why you want to keep heroes/towns steady in campaings. Your Macedon campaing in Gold could very well be used as a teaching aid for history lessons in my opinion :-) However in sandbox these principles seems to be a bit limitation. For the sake of replayability having the posibility to expand town and shape your own heroes would be a great advantage.

You're correct that you do always want to connect your cities but, particularly later on, you will find the number of connections is limited and you'll need to make choices which cities you want to connect to each other.
Well, but if I understand right you only need one link amongst all cities and food/recruit will be redistributed. Only benefit from direct connection between city full of food and starving cities will be the speed of food transport? Maybe I am jsut not getting it right, it is totally new aspect I have never seen in any other game.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Posted on June 25, 2012 at 4:46 pm

wow, it is surprising to see gain this kind of feedback from dev. team. I am impressed. Gratitude and respect for listening & answering community ;)

We're always happy to chat with the community. It's you guys that have our thanks as we wouldn't be able to keep doing this without you.

Really? I thought 99,99% of Steam games uses this crapy costumer-bullying technique. Thumbs up for those who live free of DRM shackles!

I suspect most do (and some use their own in addition to Steam) but we opted out because it caused some reliability issues with the install and there really wasn't any point since the download was the same as what you can download freely from our site.

For both points, I understand why you want to keep heroes/towns steady in campaings. Your Macedon campaing in Gold could very well be used as a teaching aid for history lessons in my opinion :-) However in sandbox these principles seems to be a bit limitation. For the sake of replayability having the posibility to expand town and shape your own heroes would be a great advantage.

I agree there could be some interesting potential there in the sandbox and we are trying to expand that mode to make it a lot more interesting in Rome. While I don't know if there's a realistic chance of including those as in-game features, you should be able to add heroes and change populations fairly easily as mods.

Well, but if I understand right you only need one link amongst all cities and food/recruit will be redistributed. Only benefit from direct connection between city full of food and starving cities will be the speed of food transport? Maybe I am jsut not getting it right, it is totally new aspect I have never seen in any other game.

I don't know if this helps, but in Hegemony Gold, the supply lines have a fixed capacity but they all transport at the same speed. This means that having two lines will transport twice as much food, but the time it takes from the completion of a supply line to when the food arrives is always the same.

We're actually going to be changing this up a little in Rome to hopefully make it a little clearer and more intuitive.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on June 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I agree there could be some interesting potential there in the sandbox and we are trying to expand that mode to make it a lot more interesting in Rome. While I don't know if there's a realistic chance of including those as in-game features, you should be able to add heroes and change populations fairly easily as mods.
Well, leaving some hero leveling mechanism prepared for modders sounds like an option :-) Same goes for towns.

I don't know if this helps, but in Hegemony Gold, the supply lines have a fixed capacity but they all transport at the same speed. This means that having two lines will transport twice as much food, but the time it takes from the completion of a supply line to when the food arrives is always the same.

We're actually going to be changing this up a little in Rome to hopefully make it a little clearer and more intuitive.

Supplies are still tricky for me to be honest. You can not link city A to city B with 2 supply lines? And supply lines between city and farm, city and mine and city and city are equal? Still think auto-connection witihin cities will be fine, plus you can always have some upgrades for supplny line so players will care about their supply lines but not suffer headaches from making „logistic“ decisions.