Skip navigation

Keeping track of it all

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Keeping track of it all
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 17, 2012 at 5:29 pm

So I've just started getting into the game. I love the time period, and I'm thoroughly impressed with the game's treatment of it. I'm having a lot of trouble keeping track of things, though, and I wonder if I'm missing some aspect of the interface that's supposed to be making this easier. It's difficult, even with only a dozen cities, to manage where my forces are, where they're drawing reinforcements from, and whether they have experience points that need to be spent. I can only imagine this becoming a hopeless mess as I expand further.

Worse, though, is the incredibly frustrating issue of managing an interesting battle only to zoom out and discover that while I was busy I've lost three cities. I don't mind getting my butt kicked, and being as I'm new at this I kind of expect that, but it drives me crazy (and makes me quit playing the game and come to the forum) to be losing because I wasn't informed I was even under threat. Since the "you're being attacked" indicators at the top are flashing for the battle I'm paying attention to, is there ANY way to find out you're being attacked elsewhere without just having to abandon tactics and leave the game constantly zoomed out?

Any help with all this would be greatly appreciated. It's a really cool game, and I'd like to not suck at it. :)

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on June 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm

We're still trying to figure out ways to make it easier to keep track of an expanding world, while not losing the core Hegemony concept of one-giant-continuous-map.

For now, set the middle alert tab, the one named, "Units, Buildings and Cities Under Attack", to auto-pause when anything you own is attacked. If you mouse over the alert, the check box to enable auto-pause appears...

When the game pauses, you can hit the "c" key to jump to the unit attacked. Repeated hitting "c" will cycle through all of your units, buildings and cities that are under attack. If you hit it once, you arc to the next site, which can help you keep your bearings. When you are comfortable with where the battles are, double-hit "c" to quick jump.

That way you can issue quick response orders to various situations and still focus most of your attention on more critical battles and campaigns.

The gameplay mechanics will be more refined in Rome. Rob is working on having reactive AI for your own friendly units, ideally with behaviors that players can choose from, such as, "retreat into city if attacked", "charge if attacked with ranged weapons", etc., so that you don't have to watch them so closely.

As to reinforcements and supply for an expanding kingdom, if you set up a supply network and protect it, reinforcements will generally take care of themselves. One often overlooked bonus, is to take advantage of healing shrines. When a unit is within the radius of a friendly healing shrine, supply lines are ignored and the unit heals as if it was in its home city. Another bonus is to camp a large army within the radius of a logistics shrine, to replenish their supplies.

Remember that when camped, a units view distance drops, so always keep a cavalry recon unit as a picket.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on June 17, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I totally missed the existence of an autopause function, thank you! That will make things a whole lot more manageable all by itself, and certainly in combination with the "c" hotkey. I'll take the rest of your advice to heart too, it sounds like I was making things harder on myself than I needed to.

Thanks very much for the quick reply. Like I said, it's a fantastic game, and hopefully now I'll be able to play it without getting overrun.