Skip navigation

New Idea!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > New Idea!
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 7, 2012 at 10:34 am

So, I have been reading this forum, playing this game, and reading some of my histories. I have a suggestion that I think would really help the game(s). At a certain point it becomes absurd trying to control the empire you are building with spearmen to keep them in order. Plus tearing down the walls is more dangerous then I thought it would be (kudos to you an your AI tactics). I understand that this game takes place over one life time, no where near the length of time needed for say and Athenian city to "become" a Thebean or Spartan city. What I am suggesting is a factoring sliding scale. Basically I am annoyed when a "enemy" city, now in the middle of my empire. Which is under no threat of attack, and has been fully stocked with food for the last 3 years needs 3 units of spearmen to keep them in line and the SECOND that their is under 55 in the city... VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Basically my arguement is this. While a subjugated city will always have resistance the power of the movement lays with the general population. Here's another take.

Revolutionary: The garrison is undermanned! Time to strike!
Average citizen: Why?
R: To rejoin the Macedonian Empire of course!
AC: We were under constant threat then though!
R: But we Are Macedonians!
Other Average Citizen: We are also full!
AC: Yeah, I haven't had this much food in ages!
OAC:Not to mention all the surrounding area is under Athenian Control, We'd be crushed in a week!
R: But its our duty!
AC: I am a farmer not a career revolutionary!

I would say for a certain amount of food you have ( abundunt food is never bad). For each city node used ( jobs are good too). And for the distance to reach the edge of their former empire ( or main city in the event of its "eradication") their should be a reduction in the amount of garrison needed. Just because Phillip tore down walls doesn't mean that this was the only way, or dare I say, even most effective way of population control.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 7, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thanks for the ideas. From now on I think all new features should be proposed with dialogue :)

There is definitely some room for improvement with the rebellion system and there are plans to work on this in Rome. This may change as we do more testing, but the current plan is that cities will be debuffed (lower income, lower recruit production, lower defense) by having low morale (insufficient garrison) but will not outright rebel as long as their is food and some level of garrison present. There will also be buildings you can construct in the city that will affect that rebellion behaviour. This will also tie into options for forcing a city to surrender. We're hoping this will relieve the current on/off mechanic and add a little more strategic depth to city management.

Level 6 Human Weird
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on June 13, 2012 at 1:34 pm

for what its worth this idea gets my vote :D

I hate the idea of people cracking games to undermine legitimate gamer buyers and owners, let alone the impact it has on indie developers and small firms that cant really afford to loose revenue, that said a beautiful game can still be ruined by poor biased reviews.