Skip navigation

Help with Hypastist

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Help with Hypastist
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 5, 2012 at 12:33 am

So I love the game. But why would you strive for such realism then throw these absurd units into sandbox mode? I get having the Hypastists in the campaign, when you are playing as Macedon, sorta like a safety net you always have to fall back on. But here I am, surrounding this one unit of Hypastist with three hoplites and had two peltast units spamming spears. This all happened underneath the walls of one of my fully defended city they were attacking so I had city ballistas shooting them too....

AFTER they killed ALL my hoplites and my peltast I managed to rout them... On the way to siege the city they came from, I bump into another. Basically in the time it takes them to recover this "God" unit I can partially restore the army they are capable of wiping without taking a single death. So where is my factions "God" unit?

More importantly How do I beat them with an orthodox greek military. they are my neighbors and we start at war so I cant really wait. Any suggestions.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 5, 2012 at 1:32 am

Which faction/unit is giving you trouble?

Level 6 Human Student
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on June 5, 2012 at 6:54 am

Macedonian hypaspists, apparently.

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 5, 2012 at 10:09 am

I am playing as the Chaladian league (spelling?). And I start at war with The Macedons. Like in control of a settlement of theirs and armies are marching. So I can't really put off fighting them. Its either them or the Athenians. -_- But I can't kill the Hypastists. I am just wondering if anyone else has a tactic that seems to work against them.

to be clear. This isn't a matter of resource management or not having enough force or using tactics. This is me wondering how to kill a unit that can rout three units of experienced hoplites. Two of which flanked them, while being hit with ranged attacks and they don't lose but 10 soldiers. I would assume I am missing a big piece of the tactics in the game. But up till fighting them I had not been having much trouble with anyone else. Usually winning battles with fewer units and smart moves.

I am really enjoying the game and I want to keep playing it! I just can't figure out why this unit is so overpowered compared to every other one.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 6, 2012 at 3:27 am

Probably the most important thing to do is to take advantage of any Macedonian cities you've captured (you start with Mygdonia) to build mercenary phalangites. Mygdonia doesn't start with many recruits, but there's a whole spearman brigade standing outside the city that you can disband to get recruits. And don't forget that you can disband slaves to get more recruits still (one of your mines starts with 40 slaves, and you might get a bunch more when you siege Potidea). Finally, Therme is pretty easy to take, and you'll be able to build half a brigade of phalangites there as soon as it's captured.

Another useful thing to do right at the beginning is to make sure the cities closest to Macedonia have lots of guys in them. That will make Macedonia less likely to raid you.

The Hypaspists are a special unit, so there's only one of them. Once you defeat them and take their home city (Pella), they'll be yours.