Skip navigation

Favourite faction (Hegemony Gold), and why?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Favourite faction (Hegemony Gold), and why?
Level 7 Human Student
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on June 2, 2012 at 1:44 pm

What's your favourite faction of Hegemony Gold's timeframe, in the area the game covers? Real life or in-game, both relevant!

Mine is, quite controversially, Persia. I'll write a wall of text explanation later.

Level 8 Human Amazing Gamer
Alignment: Evil
Posted on June 4, 2012 at 10:39 am

Sparta, easily...It just sucks that they took out the Spartiads(did i get that right?) in Gold. That makes expanding against Thebes a BITCH.

Level 7 Human Student
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on June 5, 2012 at 9:21 am

Sparta, easily...It just sucks that they took out the Spartiads(did i get that right?) in Gold. That makes expanding against Thebes a BITCH.

Sparta is so overused! Too mainstream! =P

But, to be honest, I find Athens somewhat more interesting than Sparta for various reasons. Persia I like because I like the Achaemenid empire as a whole - a unique, quasi-feudal world-scale-important-empire. There's rather little we know about them, so they are somewhat mysterious as well.

Level 8 Human Amazing Gamer
Alignment: Evil
Posted on June 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Who doesnt want to be the Spartans??? I personally have 2 Sparta games going, and a Thebes and Crete game. Personally, I find it hard to gain motivation to keep playing after a certain point. Like, for Sparta, after I had conquered all of Peloponnese, I just sat there and let my cities build up, thinking "Well what now??". Dont really have the motivation to go all the way up to Macedon with my Spartan hoplites.....

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 24, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I like Sparta, but what's up with them having only triemes, hoplites, and catapults as native units? No spearmen or even helot peltasts?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 27, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I quite like the Cretans. The problem is that the Spartans, Persians and Athenians are the nearest factions, and Sparta invades too sometimes. That said, it gives space to breathe.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I like the Persians as the challenge with them is withstand continual raids while assembling an invasion of Greece.

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on July 16, 2013 at 11:20 pm

I like Thebes because of the Sacred Band and large number of hoplites in one group, friendly relations with other city-states and close proximity to powerful factions such as Phocians, Athenians and Spartans which make the game challenging.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on August 17, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Macedonia because they have the powerful phalangites