Skip navigation

Execution of Slaves

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Execution of Slaves
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 30, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Hi there, I have some questions about Slaves and the way the Ai interacts with them.

firstly, I noticed today that the AI NEVER captures slaves, it only ever executes them. Today playing as Persia in Sandbox mode I routed a unit of Phalangists, I managed to capture a full 42 of them and was marching them back when the Macedonia counter-attack drove off my men, they then executed all the 42 men I had just captured.
Does the AI not know how to capture slaves or was this intentional to deny me resources?
I've noticed the AI never captures my men either, it always slaughters them be it 2 men or 20. I could understand executing a small group of 2 or 3, because frankly they arn't worth the trouble of guarding them, but to execute 42 is crazy, thats a full mines worth of free workers.
Also what does capturing/executing a defeated unit mean for the home cities recruit pool?

Any information would be appreciated. Cheers

Level 6 Human Let's Player
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on May 30, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Well I mostly always capture any defeated units I come across, unless it wont be practical ie the enemy is near or too much fog between me and any city I can move them too safely. I have also noticed that also with the AI, but I have found full enemy mines full of slaves so they must be getting them somewhere if not from you. Now with the capturing/executing I believe that it doesn't matter which is done the recruit pool will not gain any of the troop back and they will have to slowly build up normally. But when capturing the troops still are on the field and could be taken back, were as executing will remove the completely.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on May 31, 2012 at 12:34 am

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it has something to do with certain factions not actually using slaves.

For example, if you pass an AI controlled mine and click it, you will see slaves inside, if you cap it, you get those slaves. Other times, with different factions, you will see they only ever use workers, which rout when you cap the mine.

So my guess would be either the AI starts with all the slaves it needs, so doesn't need to capture more, or just one parameter was used in which all AI executes rather than different ones for slavers and non slavers.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 31, 2012 at 2:21 am

thanks for the reply Bansh, but it's not just individual factions, I've never seen my men captured by any faction.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on June 4, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Yeah, unfortunately during the development of the original game I ran out of time before I could teach the AI how to properly manage slaves and prevent them from rebelling so, while they will start out with slaves in their mines, the AI will always choose to execute surrendered units and will build workers if it needs additional mines.