Skip navigation

Modding, possibly?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Modding, possibly?
Level 6 Human Student
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on May 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

Unless modding is considered illegal or something by Longbow games (please don't ban me if it is, since plenty of games allow for modding without propogating any illegal activities), is there any possibility of making modifications for Hegemony Gold?

Whenever I play a game for a long time I get tired of the setting, so I usually like to mod my games, or download modifications made by other users.

Level 6 Human Let's Player
Posted on May 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I don't know if it is possible to mod, I am sure it is, but i doubt it will be illegal unless you try to sell it as your own game. Also in retrospect I doubt anyone would even be able to tell if you modded your game file seeing as its all from your computer and its a single player game. I wouldn't worry about being banned or fear of any legal action taken upon you. You bought the game, you can try to change the files and add modifications to the game, however if anything messes up it will be on you so make sure you back it up before hand. Sorry, I wish I could help more, but don't know to much about mods other than the once that are very simple to install and play.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 31, 2012 at 8:39 am

Unless modding is considered illegal or something by Longbow games (please don't ban me if it is, since plenty of games allow for modding without propogating any illegal activities)

As a single player game, you're welcome to mess around with the it anyway you like, and I don't think we've ever had to ban anybody from the forums yet. As DustinRush says, the only real limits are the obvious ones: you can't sell your mods or pass around your registration info. However, if you want to post your modded files (as long as they're not breaking the registration system) here or elsewhere you're perfectly welcome to.

All of that said, unfortunately Hegemony Gold isn't very moddable. This isn't because we're opposed to the idea, we really just didn't have time to clean up our tools so they were good enough to pass around. However, there is a globals.xnt file in resources/data that contains all of the units stats and most in-game parameters, and all of the textures are available in resources/images if you want to change the appearance of anything (if you do we'd love to see it).

In the long run, we are really hoping to better support modding in Hegemony Rome and I'd be interested in hearing what features you'd be interested in modding.

Level 6 Human Student
Posted on May 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Unless modding is considered illegal or something by Longbow games (please don't ban me if it is, since plenty of games allow for modding without propogating any illegal activities)

As a single player game, you're welcome to mess around with the it anyway you like, and I don't think we've ever had to ban anybody from the forums yet. As DustinRush says, the only real limits are the obvious ones: you can't sell your mods or pass around your registration info. However, if you want to post your modded files (as long as they're not breaking the registration system) here or elsewhere you're perfectly welcome to.

All of that said, unfortunately Hegemony Gold isn't very moddable. This isn't because we're opposed to the idea, we really just didn't have time to clean up our tools so they were good enough to pass around. However, there is a globals.xnt file in resources/data that contains all of the units stats and most in-game parameters, and all of the textures are available in resources/images if you want to change the appearance of anything (if you do we'd love to see it).

In the long run, we are really hoping to better support modding in Hegemony Rome and I'd be interested in hearing what features you'd be interested in modding.

Nice to hear that. Regarding what I would like to mod, for now it would be just tinkering with appearances and stats of the units, buildings and resources to adjust them more to my liking (not that the current game is not fine; I just believe there is room for improvemnt when it comes to Persia and barbarians), although if we had the time and tools, overhaul mods would no doubt be on the list.

As for reselling and taking credit oneself, of course not. Just for your information, my background is Total War games - which have tons of mods, and the earlier titles are easy to mod. That should explain my interest in mods. All this being said, Hegemony Rome should keep me content for a long, long time.