Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold 1.5.6 beta 3

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Gold 1.5.6 beta 3
Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 14, 2012 at 8:34 pm

One more build to tidy up a couple of loose ends with the last beta. This one fixes a crash that occurs when you have very large armies sharing supplies, and Spartan AI not always relinquishing control when you complete the Ionian War.

Download the build here and let us know if you have any trouble!

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on May 15, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Wow, and another correction soon after the bug report. If only all software studios handled support like this...

So if I load a game where I (should) already have control over the Peloponnese the AI stops with its silliness or do I have to reload an older save to trigger the event correctly?

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm

do I have to reload an older save to trigger the event correctly?

Unfortunately the answer is maybe. I made two fixes to address the AI issue, the more fail safe one is only triggered when the Homecoming objective is complete and you gain control of the mainland Peloponnesian factions. The other fix will interrupt a particular type of AI which may or may not be the one causing you trouble. I was trying to be careful to limit the scope of my changes because AI behaviour can be hard to predict and I'm trying to avoid undue side effects.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 16, 2012 at 7:48 am

I loaded the most recent gamesave and everything was fine.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

I had large armies taking over Messene after conquering Sparta and then the season got stuck at "early winter" for 8 hours of gameplay or so, which emptied out most of my supplies rather fast, so now my empire has more or less rebelled all over. I tried to change season via the console + this new beta and savegames but still have these awfull long winternights with rebellions and hunger everywhere, quite stressing in fact - sheep is the only solution to keep some few cities from rebelling.

Yours /Delphi

Level 7 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on May 22, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Winter is coming

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 23, 2012 at 1:45 am

Winter is coming

Indeed, it is. I can, though, use my very old savegames, but unfortunately not the last three autosaves and the quicksave counting approx. 128 hours of gameplay. So I lost about 100 hours of gaming by going back to savegame four counting 28, hehe. I really like the game, coming in from the TW-series, which I have been following from the start, it is a tempting game and when all is said and done, this new beta has improved the gameplay a lot for me, ie more aggressive enemies towards claiming mines back and especially taking sheep from everywhere and transporting them back to their cities, much more enemy-action to my game edit: removed game written twice.

Yours /Delphi

Posted on May 23, 2012 at 1:13 pm

and then the season got stuck at "early winter" for 8 hours of gameplay or so

If you go into the console and type 'debug on' you'll get a bunch of text in the top-left corner of your screen. The first row should say something like 'Day: ??, ??, Season: ??, Year: ??, Mult: ??' If you could let me know what it says that would be helpful in figuring out what's going wrong.

You might also be able to fix the problem using the 'setday ??? -abs' command. Using the '-abs' tag is probably important as that will set the date to the absolute value otherwise it will only increment it.

Thanks for the report.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 24, 2012 at 9:23 am

and then the season got stuck at "early winter" for 8 hours of gameplay or so

If you go into the console and type 'debug on' you'll get a bunch of text in the top-left corner of your screen. The first row should say something like 'Day: ??, ??, Season: ??, Year: ??, Mult: ??' If you could let me know what it says that would be helpful in figuring out what's going wrong.

You might also be able to fix the problem using the 'setday ??? -abs' command. Using the '-abs' tag is probably important as that will set the date to the absolute value otherwise it will only increment it.

Thanks for the report.

1) It says: Day: 32777.80078, 17,8 Season: 0,20, Year: 91, Mult: 1.00.

2) Tried it, but it says: Error: Usage: SetDay [-abs] <day>

3) You are welcome.

Yours /Delphi

Posted on May 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I've figured out the problem and will include it the next update. It turns out the way I was storing the date didn't have enough resolution to properly increment the time in really long games running at very high framerates.

Posted on May 24, 2012 at 5:34 pm

So I was a little too quick with my last comment. While my diagnosis was correct it turns out the cause was a little more obscure. Apparently, by default DirectX forces all floating point math to be single-precision (only 7 decimal points of accuracy) and, while they do have a setting to allow high precision math, their documentation warns that this can lead to performance issues and unexpected behaviour.

So, while the issue appears to be fixed, we're going to need to do some more testing to make sure there aren't any side effects.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 25, 2012 at 1:55 am

So I was a little too quick with my last comment. While my diagnosis was correct it turns out the cause was a little more obscure. Apparently, by default DirectX forces all floating point math to be single-precision (only 7 decimal points of accuracy) and, while they do have a setting to allow high precision math, their documentation warns that this can lead to performance issues and unexpected behaviour.

So, while the issue appears to be fixed, we're going to need to do some more testing to make sure there aren't any side effects.

Thanks for looking into it. I have a crash dump now, which I will mail to you. It actually looked like a direct-x issue.

Yours /Delphi