Skip navigation

This should be added

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > This should be added
Pages 1 2
Level 7 Human school
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on May 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Okay so I know that you can't exactly destroy the faction , but there should be like a time so say so that eventually the faction will concede to your side. This should have some limit to it like only having this option when all the factions cities are controlled by you. Please someone from LDA consider this in the game : but over all great game i play it almosy endlessly.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 9, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Having the AI surrender cities and sue for peace are things we're working on for Hegemony Rome. They're part of an overall effort to flesh out the AI so it can play on more equal footing to the player in the sandbox mode.

If you haven't tried it already, you can propose a truce or an alliance in Hegemony Gold and if their intimidation exceeds their hostility then they will actually pay you to stop the conflict.

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm

thanks I think that is a wonderful idea for Rome but it would be nice to be able to subdue your enemies to your side as Philip did through his campaign in greece though he still favored his own men instead of the spartan or the Athenians; I also think the spartans should have a more powerful army i mean not to much overpowering then lets say the Macedonians but to a more historical reference where they had highly trained armies working as one unit against another. Thanks though for the feed back.

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Oh,
and another thing that could be added is the number of special units that can be trained like the hypastists the should have been more of them in the game . However there still should be a limit to them since some people who have the game currently would probaly spam the special unit types. So please let me know if you are going to add this in Rome like the Prehtorians and the urbans . If you like this I could probably think of more ideas that could be helpful if you like?

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Hah and one last thing in gold the southern Attica region the factions there spawn a lot of peltast or missile units they have; however, in the Greek peninsula everyone thought that was a show a cowards especially the Spartans. So I was thinking that maybe instead of peltasts maybe like lightly armored infantry for say. That I know is a big change but it would have made it more realistic so maybe add it to Rome but instead of light infantry maybe access to gladiators? I also have a question about Rome what kinds of troops are you going to be using legionaries , scoutarii ? , triarri , hastati , and principes. Since this was mostly what there armies were made up of so I know this is a lot to put in but this would make the game more accurate like you guys want it. Then I was also wondering if we have access to Iberian as did the Romans had in Rome at this time since they conquered that are from Carthage. Then also maybe Numidian mercenaries. This would also make the game very fun for a lot of people to get access to different troop comps not like in Greece where they all had the phalanx formation. Then while playing as the barbarians would their units cost less and have greater numbers as depicted in other historical games in the campaign? If this would be implemented that would be great!

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 10, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I can't remember which unit it is but one roman type is hardened veterans fought with spear and these guys were tough. They saved for the last line of defense , they really were just a beast against cavalry and somewhat elephants.So if they ar added then maybe making them a really strong melee type but I think they had smaller shields and had less armor so if you do add them then put the defense stat down for good measures. Sorry if i keep writing ideas to you guys but I really like this game so I wanna put my opinion in a little too.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm

triarii

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm

thanks it would be interesting though if they put that into the game don't you say.

Posted on May 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm

it would be nice to be able to subdue your enemies to your side as Philip did through his campaign in greece though he still favored his own men instead of the spartan or the Athenians;

Unfortunately, we didn't really have a diplomacy system when we wrote the Philip campaign so we were somewhat limited in how we could represent the historical events. We had a few scripted events for cities like Larissa that would "ally" with Philip once you completed a particular objective but that was about it. When we expanded the diplomacy system in Gold we were able to include diplomatic events directly into the Peloponnesian objectives and you'll see even more of that in Rome to represent Caesar's ever-shifting relations with the various tribes.

and another thing that could be added is the number of special units that can be trained like the hypastists the should have been more of them in the game .

We've had a lot of requests for more special units in Rome and we are working on trying to individualized the units as much as possible. However, as our main campaign takes place after the Marian reforms, most of the that individualization will be in terms of the specific legions like Caesar's famous 10th rather than as specialized units like the Triarii which were no longer in use at this point.

the southern Attica region the factions there spawn a lot of peltast or missile units they have; however, in the Greek peninsula everyone thought that was a show a cowards especially the Spartans

While we did actually make it so the Spartans can't built peltasts we found we had to give the other factions a little more diversity then they might have actually had in order to balance the gameplay.

maybe access to gladiators? I also have a question about Rome what kinds of troops are you going to be using legionaries , scoutarii ? , triarri , hastati , and principes. Since this was mostly what there armies were made up of so I know this is a lot to put in but this would make the game more accurate like you guys want it. Then I was also wondering if we have access to Iberian as did the Romans had in Rome at this time since they conquered that are from Carthage. Then also maybe Numidian mercenaries.

As I said above, our units are based on what Caesar had during his campaigns in Gaul and these were fairly limited. At that point the Roman army had consolidated around the standard legionary so we won't have the triarii, hastati or principes classes. However, we will have a number of roman auxillary unit types as well and we're working on including some of the specific mercenaries he used like the Numidian or Creten archers. Hopefully we'll have the chance to do some roman units from other periods as DLC or expansions later.

When while playing as the barbarians would their units cost less and have greater numbers as depicted in other historical games in the campaign? If this would be implemented that would be great!

The non-roman factions will definitely have the numerical advantage in the campaigns. Caesar's own legions were specifically described as being undermanned throughout the campaign and we plan to represent that fact.

If you like this I could probably think of more ideas that could be helpful if you like?

While I can't promise we'll be able to implement all of the ideas we get, particularly as things are locked down closer to release, we're always happy to hear them and I'll do my best to explain our reasoning if we can't include them.

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 11, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Okay thanks its just that would be nice to seem some different factions in the campaign; one question are we able to see the Roman peninsula and conquered Spain? Then will the the senate give us access to phretorians after some milestone? Then over time say after defeating some tribe become access to some more? Also you didn't answer my question about if the germanic and helvatian are allied and declare on the allied tribe in Gaul or after that ? Also will the German be playable if included ? If these are spoilers then i okay I'd rather wait.

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 11, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Oh, yes and would the Germans get a x factor of fear in the Roman hearts which in Caesars they were he most feared? Also i saw the video on game reactor and I am not sure who said this but that Caesar was a great general , I will say that he was but in other writing you can see that he lost more battles than he won. Yes I can understand the Gauls were a tough people to conquer but still he made a lot of his victories exaggerated by 3 times the real battle. Also will there be a expansion pack for Scipio africanus and or Hannibal that would be very much appreciated. If you are going to do Hannibal than actually make him darker skinned and his men ass well unlike how 14th century Italy depicted him. That would make it more realistic unlike some other series who do this as well and make them white ; however, they weren't black more like Phoenician.

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 11, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Also will the Britannians have chariots and or at least head hurlers? that would be a cool thing to add to a specific faction.

Posted on May 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm

are we able to see the Roman peninsula and conquered Spain

This is an outline of the map that will be covered in the initial release of Rome.

Then will the the senate give us access to phretorians after some milestone?

It was my understanding that the Praetorian Guard didn't participate in the Gallic Wars so there currently aren't any plans to include them in the initial game. They could be an interesting addition for DLC though, so we'll keep them in mind.

Also you didn't answer my question about if the germanic and helvatian are allied and declare on the allied tribe in Gaul or after that ?

The first campaign will include the Helvetti migration from Germania into Gaul but I'm not sure whether the Helvetti will specifically be allied with the other German factions at that point. In general, the different factions will be allied as appropriate for the different time periods covered in the campaigns.

Also will the German be playable if included ?

The germans will definitely be playable in the sandbox. As will various British and Gallic tribes.

would the Germans get a x factor of fear in the Roman hearts which in Caesars they were he most feared?

We don't have any plans to give the germans an explicit bonus against Roman morale, but they will be balanced using the standard stats to provide an appropriate threat to Caesar's troops.

Also i saw the video on game reactor and I am not sure who said this but that Caesar was a great general , I will say that he was but in other writing you can see that he lost more battles than he won.

That was me in the game reactor video, and while I do stick with the characterization of Caesar as a brilliant general, I certainly wouldn't call him perfect. I think it is generally accepted that his Gallic commentaries were largely intended as propaganda back in Rome and we've tried to take into account his likely exaggerations when designing the campaign.

Also will there be a expansion pack for Scipio africanus and or Hannibal that would be very much appreciated.

We have done some research into the Punic Wars as a possible expansion. There are some issues concerning which side the player would play since no one wants to play the loser and, while Hannibal was the aggressor for the majority of the war, clearly it didn't end well for him and this would make for a rather disappointing ending. That said there are ways we could work around that so we will keep it on the list when we look into expansions.

Also will the Britannians have chariots and or at least head hurlers? that would be a cool thing to add to a specific faction.

The Britons will definitely have chariots but we don't have any plans for head hurlers. While I think there may have been one instance in the Gallic wars where someone threw a head, my understanding is that the heads were usually collected as highly valued trophies rather than thrown away.

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Thanks for the consent though that's always great. When I'm talking about the head hurlers I believe they sometimes did keep them as trophies , but in other cases they would actually use them as like humiliation o just to scare the piss out of there enemies. You know what I mean seeing other fallen Romans head cut off and then thrown at me i for one be grossed out then scared excuse ,me but, scared shitless lol . I'm just saying these things could be very well considered x factors maybe for future games?

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 15, 2012 at 7:01 pm

And yes i know that it was to be believed as a propaganda attempt , but for hardcore historians gamers it probably pissed them off , and also I'm just trying to say that it was a mistake lol. Also for people who don't know this would have been told the wrong somewhat incorrect information , but I guess I'm a history nut since I know this and I'm only fourteen.

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 15, 2012 at 7:46 pm

okay so I know this has nothing to do with your guys game but do you know how to install mods to any game? Since I also play other strategy games like the Europa series , Rome. So I was wondering how to install the epigoni mod so I am able to play historical gmae.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I think most historians agree that Caesar's writing was very political, and that he often inflated his numbers, so calling it propaganda is hardly controversial. What is controversial is just how much he inflated his numbers, and that's definitely a fine line to walk. Unfortunately, there are very few contemporary sources for the war other than what Caesar wrote himself, but when in doubt we'll try our best to at least keep the history plausible.

As far as epigoni goes, you would be best off asking about that in the Paradox forums.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

You could also change the colour of an objective icon on the map once it has been completed. This would make it easier to know which ones you have completed because it can get dificult telling which ones you have completed.

Level 7 Human school
Posted on May 16, 2012 at 4:11 pm

lol thanks it just I believe that its just to far to say he was a great general. To me he was basically a public figure making all else better than they actually were like most of his battles make them outrageous numbers and saying that they won them. Yes i know in some cases that is true. Then not talking about the battles he did lose. Also vitabret you are making no sense to me what so ever.

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 18, 2012 at 12:15 am

Unfortunately Rome: Total War is not a good history reference. I don't think historically the British celts used heads dipped in lime as a thrown weapon.

Quite a few of your suggestions don't reference history at all but sound very much like a total war game.

Pages 1 2