Skip navigation

Hegemony: The World

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony: The World
Pages 1 2
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Just putting this out there as a wish for next decade. A Hegemony style game, but of the entire world. Start out as a tribe and try to conquer the whole world. I know how insanely impossible this would be, hence why I think it'd take you at least a decade after Rome to make it.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 3, 2012 at 11:08 am

i wouldn't want to wait a decade to get another game from longbow

Level 7 Human Dad
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 4:47 am

The idea of the whole world is simply crazy. The Hegemony team has a lot of work now just to refine their basic game. I wouldn't want to conquer the world against this current AI. But how about barbaric central europe...maybe 400-450AD at about the final collapse of the western roman empire...start as a germanic city state and conquer and economically expand to compete to be the primary faction to run the emerging holy roman empire. This idea is really ambitious, unfortunately it might be a little obscure, and difficult for the Hegemony team to sell to the masses. But I imagine the lack of knowledge/written records of the boondocks of central germania at the time might give the Hegemony team the flexability to make it extremely fun. Also that same flexability might enable the Hegemony team to find an interesting way to market this obscure scenerio to the gaming community. The Hegemony team must laugh at the naive ideas we players come up with....

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on May 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Who knows, perhaps if Rome becomes a runaway success, we may see something in the scale of the Total War map for the 3rd game.

I love the sound of it, yet a tiny part of me cringes at the length of a single game trying to conquer that lot ;)

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on May 7, 2012 at 9:58 am

@ P-Dynamo - I like the tribal idea, and I think it could make for a very interesting game. I recently read The Battle That Stopped Rome, about the Teutoburg forest. Aside from a great analysis of the battle, it had intriguing study of the combatants' socio-cultural background. Granted, it is way before the time-frame you suggested, but I believe that tribal cultures, especially those in transition to more modern states could be a great arena for a Hegemony style game.

Level 7 Human Dad
Posted on May 7, 2012 at 10:30 pm

@ Brushy-Thanks for the compliment and agreeing with my point of view. I agree with the unexplored socio-cultural aspects, and I think the unexplored nature of those aspects could give the Hegemony team the opprotunity and flexability to make it potentially very entertaining. Your spot on about the fascination w/tribal cultures transitioning to more modern states. You state that perfectly.
It's that tribal transition to statehood that is the basis of my agenda. I'm biased toward a game which takes a relatively small city/nation and tasks the player with building up infrastrures, logistics, economics structures/relationships, military armies and technologies, key character development, and finally, diplomatic aspects to creat a great nation/empire and fighting a climactic campaign with a rival great empire. I love total war Europa Barbarum, but unlike Hegemony, I find EB too strategic. (Though I still love it, and it's ambition to be realistic and historically insightful/educational) I think maybe...and I mean maybe, Hegemony has the potential of getting the balance right between strategic and tactical aspects of a strategy game. I really appreciate how Hegemony is tactical yet still perfectly transitions to higher strategic level also. First Hegemony includes logistics and infrastructures with roads/supply lines which creates such fantastic realism. Second I love how recruiting for armies is limited and I love the special unique units with generals that realistically enhance the performance of armies. Gosh I could go on...but I would like to see some improvement on developing your faction to give some economic or battlefield advantages to your campaign. For example in other games you can invest in improving agriculture and mines and even military technology which gives the opportunity to defeat your rivals using a little more creativity. Just my thoughts...I apologize for rambling. I hope the Hegemony team agree with my vision/opinion. And if they do..I wish them luck in integrating it into future games without making those future games too much like the other strategy games that have proceeded Hegemony.

Level 8 Human Heroine
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on May 8, 2012 at 9:06 am

I was thinking about it as I read other thread. Now I see that this thread goes about the world indeedly.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on May 8, 2012 at 10:39 am

But how about barbaric central europe...maybe 400-450AD at about the final collapse of the western roman empire.

When we were researching topics for Rome we actually did write up a rough design from around that period based on Clovis I and the Merovingians, but as you point out we were concerned it was too obscure to sell. After spending years trying to explain who Philip was we were interested in trying someone who had a little more name recognition.

But I would like to see some improvement on developing your faction to give some economic or battlefield advantages to your campaign. For example in other games you can invest in improving agriculture and mines and even military technology which gives the opportunity to defeat your rivals using a little more creativity.

The Hegemony games are a little different from many strategy games in that they take place over a fairly short time period so you don't see huge population changes or tech development like you do in something like Civ or Total War. This was partly so we could tell the story of a particular general/campaign, but also because we wanted to keep the focus on the tactics and empire management since, as much as I like tech trees, they frequently (and perhaps even realistically) tend to become the dominate factor in determining victory.

That said, we were really interested in expanding the empire/infrastructure side of the game in Rome, so with the new construction and upgrade systems there will be a lot of options for customizing and improving your faction. By upgrading city buildings you'll be able to improve stats like resource production, recruitment time or defenses, and you'll also be able to assign generals to command a fort/city to improve things like morale and garrison strength.

Level 8 Human Heroine
Posted on May 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

Well, now you are composing on 2 hegemony games. Will it delay upgrades to Greece war? Since Rome war is also exciting I am in favor of deepening Greece war, since its that I liked to play more than being fond of switching to Rome.
Like if you planning on expanding the world map there could be a connection between Greece and Rome as 1 game.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on May 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Will it delay upgrades to Greece war?

While there may still be more patches for Hegemony Gold, we're not planning any major new content for the game as all of our development efforts are focused on Rome now.

Like if you planning on expanding the world map there could be a connection between Greece and Rome as 1 game.

We have looked at doing some of the Roman campaigns in Greece as expansions for Rome (like Caesar vs Pompey in the civil war), but we won't be making any final decisions on expansions for quite a while yet.

Level 8 Human Heroine
Posted on May 12, 2012 at 9:31 am

well, I personally rather hoped into an expansion of Greece war with Alexander the Great in the footsteps of his father Philip
or getting an engine upgrade to Greece after Rome is going Gold to get all improvements made in Rome into Greece
like that I'm thinking about
but admittingly definately interested in Rome war too

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 31, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I'd like to see Hegemony: China. The Spring and Autumn period or the Warring States period are very well suited to Hegemony's engine and China is not often explored, could be a good way to branch out to the Asian market as well.

I would say Japan, but what with Shogun 2, that's been done recently so you wouldn't see as many sales.

Level 6 Human Student
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on June 1, 2012 at 8:35 am

Hegemony is only suitable for short time periods, so the idea would never work. As for China and Japan, there' just not enough outright war in them.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on June 1, 2012 at 9:54 am

sorry mi amigo but you are wrong here- this was the Era of Sunzi, the man who wrote "The Art of War"- you know a military classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_and_Autumn_period

this led directly to the Warring States Period, which as the name suggest- is pretty warlike.

As for Japan, the period is called, the Age of the Country At War or Sengoku. It was a period of all out civil war dominated by figures such as Oda and Takeda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_period

these two periods were full on civil wars which lasted for several hundred years on each side- too wide a time frame for Hegemony, but I'm sure a specific person could be focussed on.

Level 6 Human Student
Posted on June 1, 2012 at 12:53 pm

sorry mi amigo but you are wrong here- this was the Era of Sunzi, the man who wrote "The Art of War"- you know a military classic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_and_Autumn_period

this led directly to the Warring States Period, which as the name suggest- is pretty warlike.

As for Japan, the period is called, the Age of the Country At War or Sengoku. It was a period of all out civil war dominated by figures such as Oda and Takeda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sengoku_period

these two periods were full on civil wars which lasted for several hundred years on each side- too wide a time frame for Hegemony, but I'm sure a specific person could be focussed on.

They lasted hundreds of years, over which the action was spread out. The Chinese period is largely legend, but the Sengoku era is way too complex for a game like Hegemony. It was too much feudal politics and too little actual warfare.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on June 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Largely legend? I'm not an expert on the period, but, if the climate is right for a man to write "The Art of War" the most renowned military classic in existence then I'd say it was fairly real and combat and warfare were fairly common.

As I said, a focus on a specific aspect would be doable and fine, for example the fall of Zhou or the rise/fall of one of the larger states rather than the entire period.

As for Japan, Longbow have already admitted that the Greek world was infinitely more sub-divided and complex than they represent, why would this be an issue for Japan?

Level 6 Human Student
Posted on June 2, 2012 at 11:32 am

Largely legend? I'm not an expert on the period, but, if the climate is right for a man to write "The Art of War" the most renowned military classic in existence then I'd say it was fairly real and combat and warfare were fairly common.
We don't know who wrote the Art of War. That, and the book should have been titled "Common sense".
As I said, a focus on a specific aspect would be doable and fine, for example the fall of Zhou or the rise/fall of one of the larger states rather than the entire period.
Could be, if:
1. We knew enough that isn't Chinese propaganda;
2. The period was marketable. Ancient China isn't a western gamer's cup of tea, really. The Sengoku era, OTOH, has samurai and ninja - which most people are familiar with.
As for Japan, Longbow have already admitted that the Greek world was infinitely more sub-divided and complex than they represent, why would this be an issue for Japan?
Read up on the Sengoku period, then. You'll see why it cannot be represented.

Level 6 Human Weird
Posted on June 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm

We don't know who wrote the Art of War. That, and the book should have been titled "Common sense".

The truth is Sun Tzu wrote the Art of War and his son wrote commentaries on it, as for suggesting not enough is known of the period, well perhaps the best period for a Hegemony title would be the time of the first emperor - as in his campains to unify all the provinces, build the great wall and his own mausoleum which contains a lake of mercury showing the extent of his empire (to quote a recent hisorical programme that did a scientific external study showing the extent of murcury poisoning of the land arround his tomb), not forgetting the terracota armies, all this was in one lifetime and not spanning hundreds of years. That and china even today refuses to allow any archeology at his tomb due to a warning that 'he would return'. what more could inspire a Hegemony title.

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Posted on June 14, 2012 at 4:50 am

Further to this discussion, if you were to choose the sengoku era you could easily focus on a single character from the latter half of the period. there were quite a few major figures that involved themselves in significant campaigning. Oda is the big, obvious one but Hideyoshi (including failed invasion of Korea) and Tokugawa (the actual shogun in the end) would both make for great focus campaigns. In fact, the longbow team could do something similar to what they did with gold and have a bunch of campaigns.

Not that I would necessarily recommend this time frame, there is too much focus already and there are so many more obscure but no less interesting timeframes in europe in the classical and hellenistic era. However it isn't impossible and would lend itself to this time quite well.

Level 8 Human Heroine
Posted on August 15, 2012 at 7:29 am

Sengoku and Warring States era were pretty cool presented by Koei in Dynasty and Samurai Warriors as single character hackn slash and empire mode. Kessen were also rather good but all could be better. What paradox does in their games I find rather booring.
And another time period I would like to see would be 100 years war with Jean DArc like in Bladestorm. More turn based gaming I would prefer too in strategical gaming like civ.
Singe character hackn slash element only like while on console or with pad on pc.

Pages 1 2