Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold 1.5.6 beta 1: Sheep Edition!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Gold 1.5.6 beta 1: Sheep Edition!
Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 28, 2012 at 5:18 am

We're hard at work on Hegemony Rome, but we haven't forgotten about our Hegemony Gold players!

This is all about sheep and farms, hence the name 'Sheep Edition!' The most important change is that the AI sometimes weren't capturing sheep, and since there's a cap on how many sheep are allowed on the map, this meant there was no room for new sheep to spawn near the player. That shouldn't happen anymore.

Just to be safe, we're releasing this as a beta, so download it here and let us know what you think! We don't expect there to be any show-stoppers here, so unless anybody reports any problems, this update will probably get upgraded to a full release some time next week.

Keep reading for the full change log.

Bug fixes:
* AI should more aggressively capture sheep, ensuring that new sheep respawn near the player.
* Fixed a bug where workers couldn't pick up food from farms.
* Documentation now specifies that sheep spawn over the winter, rather than during the spring.

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 30, 2012 at 11:23 am

I have found a problem with the sheep version. Every few seconds the screen will flash going from normal to black etc.... this only started happening after I downloaded the new sheep version.

Posted on April 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hmm, I don't see what change could have caused that. Does this always happen, or does it only happen after you've been playing for a while?

To rule out coincidence, can you downgrade and see if the problem goes away?

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on April 30, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Seems the ai is more agressive now, get much more attscks in this version.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on April 30, 2012 at 2:54 pm

It was straight away. Ahh it seems it was just coincidence, I downgraded then re-upgraded and the problem went away. Thanks for the help.

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on May 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm

(I'm German, so please excuse me if my English isn't always correct)

I downloaded the 1.5.6 version of the game and was quite surprised, when the Paeonians, who I got a truce with (in the Archidamian War), came with some cavalry to grab the sheep on MY land in Eumolpia!
It's not that the Macedonians would need them in this scenario, without any batteline infantry other than spearmen they are quite useless for attacks and sheep are horribly slow. But if I can't even transport units on ships near the northern Aegean coastline without violating the truce between me and Thrace, the Thracians and Paeonians shouldn't be able to enter my territory either, I think.

Moreover I had some bugs too, for example, I was playing the Archidamian War scenario for some time when suddenly the whole screen became black (the cause was maybe that I had just jumped to the next enemy by pressing V). I couldn't see anything of the map, I also tried to zoom in or out or to jump to another location with the buttons X, C, V or the groups 1-0, but the screen remained black. Also a reload didn't solve the problem (interestingly, while the screen was totally black, the screenshot of the savegame was totally white).

Another bug is, that if my fast units like cavalry are attacked by slow enemies (e.g. hoplites) and I let my units make a fast withdrawal, some of the hoplites standing near the riders follow them without falling back (i.e. with the cavalry's speed, which is about three times their normal speed).

Also, generals seem to be nearly immortal while commanding a brigade, but that (especially with phalangites due to their longer spears and/or in narrows) leads to the brigade being annihilated by the enemy. Because if the enemy's forces reach the general, they attack only him (the other troops can't or simply don't want to follow up) and one after another, the brigade will be totally sacrificed for the general's good, who won't survive in the end anyway. It would be more realistic if the generals would be mortal, I think.

If you have a truce with a faction and want to "upgrade" this truce to an alliance, you need to have all the money that you would have to pay, although you are already paying something for the truce between the two factions. E.g. I wanted to attack Potidea for that hegemony objective while not having to conquer all these cities of the Chalcidian League, so I made a truce with it, paying it 525 gold. And although I had saved other 300+ gold, I couldn't form an alliance for 800 gold. And breaking the truce makes it impossible to form an alliance with it.

While being a Thessalian city in the sandbox mode, Larissa is still Pheraic in the Archidamian War, which it shouldn't be in fact, because during the late 5th century BCE Aristippus of Larissa successfully expelled Pheraic troops from his country and even continued his victorious campaign.

Also if it isn't that important, the message that you can't assign a trireme to a home city without a port doesn't appear when I once tried to do so by mistake. That could be the case, because I tried it with an Athenian trireme.

How should I be able to get a benefit from the Dalmatian 'Wealth of mines' with Dalmatica having so horribly little supply dots? Sure, I can use one or two of the unused supply dots of Epidamnos and these other cities at the Adriatic coast, but even then I can't use at least half of the mines there. And there are no near forts to connect the mines with. And due to the quite labyrinthine area I cannot connect cities which are further away.

Please don't think now, that I wouldn't like your game, it's marvellous and I can't await the release of Hegemony Rome too, but given that I am kind of perfectionistic and that you still improve your work, I wanted to post this.

Posted on May 1, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I downloaded the 1.5.6 version of the game and was quite surprised, when the Paeonians, who I got a truce with (in the Archidamian War), came with some cavalry to grab the sheep on MY land in Eumolpia!
It's not that the Macedonians would need them in this scenario, without any batteline infantry other than spearmen they are quite useless for attacks and sheep are horribly slow. But if I can't even transport units on ships near the northern Aegean coastline without violating the truce between me and Thrace, the Thracians and Paeonians shouldn't be able to enter my territory either, I think.

Rob says he found this bug yesterday, so hopefully it will be fixed in the next beta.

Moreover I had some bugs too, for example, I was playing the Archidamian War scenario for some time when suddenly the whole screen became black (the cause was maybe that I had just jumped to the next enemy by pressing V). I couldn't see anything of the map, I also tried to zoom in or out or to jump to another location with the buttons X, C, V or the groups 1-0, but the screen remained black. Also a reload didn't solve the problem (interestingly, while the screen was totally black, the screenshot of the savegame was totally white).
I think this is an older bug, but the extra information you gave us might help us track it down. Thanks!

In the mean-time, you can fix your game by opening the console with the ~ key and typing this command:

movecamera -move 600 600 -zoom 0 -angle 0 -instant

Another bug is, that if my fast units like cavalry are attacked by slow enemies (e.g. hoplites) and I let my units make a fast withdrawal, some of the hoplites standing near the riders follow them without falling back (i.e. with the cavalry's speed, which is about three times their normal speed).
Unforunately, this isn't something we'll be able to fix in Gold, but Rob has been hard at work improving the movement system in Hegemony Rome.

Also, generals seem to be nearly immortal while commanding a brigade, but that (especially with phalangites due to their longer spears and/or in narrows) leads to the brigade being annihilated by the enemy. Because if the enemy's forces reach the general, they attack only him (the other troops can't or simply don't want to succeed) and one after another, the brigade will be totally sacrificed for the general's good, who won't survive in the end anyway. It would be more realistic if the generals would be mortal, I think.
The generals are always the last to die in a brigade; we like to imagine that the other solders are jumping in the way of the general to protect him :)

But brigades won't always fight to the death when they have a general attached. This only happens if your heroics is sufficiently high. If your general has five stars in heroics (like Philip) it's more likely that they'll fight to the death.

If you have a truce with a faction and want to "upgrade" this truce to an alliance, you need to have all the money that you would have to pay, although you are already paying something for the truce between the two factions. E.g. I wanted to attack Potidea for that hegemony objective while not having to conquer all these cities of the Chalcidian League, so I made a truce with it, paying it 525 gold. And although I had saved other 300+ gold, I couldn't form an alliance for 800 gold. And breaking the truce makes it impossible to form an alliance with it.
Thanks. I've let Rob know about that, and he'll take a look to see if we can fix that in the next update.

While being a Thessalian city in the sandbox mode, Larissa is still Pheraic in the Archidamian War, which it shouldn't be in fact, because during the late 5th century BCE Aristippus of Larissa successfully expelled Pheraic troops from his country and even continued his victorious campaign.
Oops! That was accidentally copied over from the Philip campaign. Luckily, Larissa doesn't really come into play in the Archidamian War.

Also if it isn't that important, the message that you can't assign a trireme to a home city without a port doesn't appear when I once tried to do so by mistake. That could be the case, because I tried it with an Athenian trireme.
It should say "Command not available". Can you give me instructions to repeat the bug?

How should I be able to get a benefit from the Dalmatian 'Wealth of mines' with Dalmatica having so horribly little supply dots? Sure, I can use one or two of the unused supply dots of Epidamnos and these other cities at the Adriatic coast, but even then I can't use at least half of the mines there. And there are no near forts to connect the mines with. And due to the quite labyrinthine area I cannot connect cities which are further away.
To connect mines further away, create waypoints by holding the Shift key while right-clicking on the terrain. Of course, long trade routes have a higher chance of being blocked by the enemy, so make sure you have the area secured.

Please don't think now, that I wouldn't like your game, it's marvellous and I can't await the release of Hegemony Rome too, but given that I am kind of perfectionistic and that you still improve your work, I wanted to post this.
Thanks! We love getting this kind of feedback.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Rob says he found this bug yesterday, so hopefully it will be fixed in the next beta.

I think this is an older bug, but the extra information you gave us might help us track it down. Thanks!

In the mean-time, you can fix your game by opening the console with the ~ key and typing this command:

movecamera -move 600 600 -zoom 0 -angle 0 -instant

I could also send you my savegame if it would help.
I have already continued with another savegame that I had saved five minutes before. There, everything was okay, even if I scrolled onto the same piece of the map (the plain between Olynthus and Mygdonia) and pressed V again.

Unforunately, this isn't something we'll be able to fix in Gold, but Rob has been hard at work improving the movement system in Hegemony Rome.
That's good news! I mean, it was quite sure that something like the movement is just too ... essential to make some quick changes there, but to hear that you worked hard to avoid that in Rome is the good news.

The generals are always the last to die in a brigade; we like to imagine that the other solders are jumping in the way of the general to protect him :)

But brigades won't always fight to the death when they have a general attached. This only happens if your heroics is sufficiently high. If your general has five stars in heroics (like Philip) it's more likely that they'll fight to the death.

Philip has his Companion Cavalry, giving him to another unit would be a sacrilege! ;)
But honestly, I think if the AI believes, that merging generals isn't necessary for its success (or is it simply not able to do so?), then it isn't that important for me as well.

Thanks. I've let Rob know about that, and he'll take a look to see if we can fix that in the next update.
Then my posting was at least a little bit useful.

Oops! That was accidentally copied over from the Philip campaign. Luckily, Larissa doesn't really come into play in the Archidamian War.
If Thessaly wouldn't be the only helpful faction for players with cavalry-based strategy and quite early intimidated enough to be a good choice in diplomacy I would agree ;).
On the other hand, if they get Larissa too, I'll have to pay a bit more for that alliance...

It should say "Command not available". Can you give me instructions to repeat the bug?
Oh, I thought it would say something a bit more specific, like "Triremes must have a home city with a port" or something like that. My mistake, sorry.

To connect mines further away, create waypoints by holding the Shift key while right-clicking on the terrain. Of course, long trade routes have a higher chance of being blocked by the enemy, so make sure you have the area secured.
The "shift+waypoint"-method is also possible with supply lines o.O? My mistake as well, I knew that this was possible with units' movements, but I simply never thought about defining waypoints for trade routes...

Ehm, that's raised a question: while the majority of the Greek and nearly all "tribal" streets were normally made for simple carts and messengers, Roman streets were also built to improve an army's speed. Will streets have a movement bonus in Hegemony Rome, at least on complex terrain?

Thanks! We love getting this kind of feedback.
If your work remains on a high quality that's very easy, even if the majority will show respect for your work silently and have fun with the game without posting it in here.

Posted on May 1, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I have already continued with another savegame that I had saved five minutes before. There, everything was okay, even if I scrolled onto the same piece of the map (the plain between Olynthus and Mygdonia) and pressed V again.
Ah, that's a shame. Unfortunately, if we can't reproduce it, it's really hard to fix.

But honestly, I think if the AI believes, that merging generals isn't necessary for its success (or is it simply not able to do so?), then it isn't that important for me as well.
The AI will use generals, but they'll never send them on raids, because there's a high chance they won't come back alive, and the AI's generals have perma-death. Because of that, you generally only see the AI use generals when you threaten their cities.

Ehm, that's raised a question: while the majority of the Greek and nearly all "tribal" streets were normally made for simple carts and messengers, Roman streets were also built to improve an army's speed. Will streets have a movement bonus in Hegemony Rome, at least on complex terrain?
We considered that, but Hegemony Rome takes place on the frontier, where the Romans hadn't yet built up such infrastructure. If we make another campaign in Italy I could see that mechanic making more sense.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 2, 2012 at 4:43 am

I think the mercenaries could be improved. They break and run far to easily for their price.

The only mercenaries that are good are the Phalangilite mercenaries that are far to overpowered. e.g 1 unit of phalangilite mercenaries vs. 1 unit of macedonian phalangilites (2,3,5,3) and 1 unit of 25 companion cavalry with philip attacking from behind. The mercenaries lose all their morale but dont route and continue to fight until all my guys have routed. throughout all that the mercenaries only lost 10/60 men.

Do the AI get an overcrowding penalty when in combat?

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on May 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm

@vitabrevit: I don't think so, or if they do, it doesn't properly work with AI troops. I saw that while I was attacking Arethusa from the North: my four hoplite brigades were killed by two hoplites plus two or three peltast companies, who were nearly all on the same place (in front of the city gate). They hadn't even had twenty guys killed!

To your scenario: Looks like your troops would have had a problem with attacking the enemy, because without being attacked, troops don't route, even with zero morale (and I have already seen enough enemy phalangites routing...). Have you really given them an order to attack the enemy? Or have you reloaded while attacking? (that once caused a REALLY embarrassing loss of my troops against the Illyrians... If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself. Or at least you mustn't stop watching your troops...

EDIT: I just had another error with an "exceed number of shared suppliers" in the Ionian War campaign shortly after the uprising of Miletus: