Skip navigation

deep ocean ?s

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > deep ocean ?s
Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 12:50 pm

why can't i go out into the middle of the ocean? it will only let me go near the shores. also, what does the little wave icon mean? instead of making a whole other thread, ill ask this question too. i completed an objective and it said i've unlocked a general and he will be stationed at a city i have not captured yet. does that mean the general is lost to me or he will appear when i conquer that city? i can see how maybe later migrants could appear also in places i have not captured too. how would that work out. i've found that it is very important to settle your migrants.

i really like this game. hopefully this will be a continuous series like total war. i wonder if you guys could make the landscape more realistic cuz the mediteranean from pictures ive seen is so beautiful of an ocean and like aqua green colors and clear. it would be awesome if you guys could detail it more and the landscape change in different areas like real life with different colors. maybe add colored plants or trees that are known to be in the particular area. instead of just the same trees, two colors of green for the trees and ground, and a rock here and there. gameplay is the most important. but the gamers would be amazed by that kind of detail in graphics and be very much appreciated. it really adds to the experience and realism. maybe its not possible with the engine or technology you guys use. im not really knowledgeable with graphics and engines and all that stuff. but i read you guys created a whole new engine. btw, any news on a release date for the rome game? at least will it come out this summer? i think you guys made a good choice on choosing rome and gaul. i read caesars gaulish war commentaries last year and past couple years have become so interested in ancient history. the romans and greeks so im loving this game and really looking forward to rome.

hope i haven't asked too many questions but i wanted to keep it all in one thread instaed of making multiple ones.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Navigation of the time was primitive. Didn't have practiced concepts of star-based navigation (maybe some island city states, but I'm confident most would not), much less tools like sextants or compasses. So your boats must stay close to islands, both because sailing across seas accurately can't be navigated, but also because your boats can't survive rough waters.

The wave symbol means you aren't close enough to the coast, and your boats will take damage. This isn't a problem if it is a short distance; you can cross it with little damage, and the brigade inside perfectly fine, but long times in areas marked by a "Wave" sign on the pointer will destroy them.

If you unlocked the general, you get him when you captured the city. Like a homeless unit, you can get recruits back once the city is yours, the unit itself is not destroyed.

As for migrants, I've never had a problem with them spawning too far into enemy territory, so I've yet to see if they can be attacked by the enemy AI and killed. That would certainly be devastating. I've had some times when migrants spawned in territory controlled by the Illyrians. It worked just as if I had any unit in their territory, I could control them, and had them run to the safety of my borders. So they will spawn in an enemy region you do not control, but you still can control them and have them move towards you.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm

i can see how maybe later migrants could appear also in places i have not captured too. how would that work out. i've found that it is very important to settle your migrants.

Migrants won't appear if there are enemies really close to their spawn point and will respawn if they get killed by the AI.

wonder if you guys could make the landscape more realistic ...

I'll agree this was something I wasn't satisfied with in the original game. While the engine did support a more diverse landscape, Philippe was our only artist for most of the project, and as you pointed out, most of his attention had to be focused on elements that more directly affected gameplay.

Thankfully, the situation has changed considerably in Rome. With Britt and Clarissa working on the project from the start, we've been able to include a lot more variation on the map including increasing our vegetation from two generic tree types to over 30 species native to the region. Early in the project, Britt was tasked with identifying the major biomes on the map and, as mentioned briefly in Jim's recent essay, we've tried to gives these distinctive looks so that players will quickly know whether they're in the Black Forest of Germania or in the cultivated lands of Cisalpine Gaul. We've also significantly improved our tools for Rome which means, rather than procedurally placing many of the textures, trees and props like we did in Greece, we can now efficiently design areas by hand allowing us to create more distinct and memorable landscapes including recognizable locations like Stone Henge or the white cliffs of Dover.

While we're still a small team and Rome isn't going to have the detail and diversity of a game like Skyrim, I think players are really going to enjoy exploring the new map.

btw, any news on a release date for the rome game? at least will it come out this summer?

Work on the game is proceeding really well but, at this point we're trying to avoid making any predictions on a release. However, while we are hoping to get community feedback on a beta version as soon as we can, I think I can comfortably say there won't be a complete version available this summer.

hope i haven't asked too many questions but i wanted to keep it all in one thread instaed of making multiple ones.

We're always happy to answer questions :)

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm

disappointed dude lol about the release date. i thought i read somewhere where the game was probably going to be coming out this summer. so are we like a year away, years, or? i know you can't give exact but based on your feel for what the situation is?

thanks guys for getting back to me so fast. i think it's really cool that we can talk to the team and that you guys listen to your customers. sounds like from what you said i will enjoy it. the fact that you looked into specific vegetation for france and britain is exactly what i was thinking and can't get more realistic than that. for real the concept of these games is really good and hopefully you guys can make a niche for yourselves and continue to make these games time after time. hopefully the game will get the recognition it needs and a wider audience to make more sells so you can put those funds into better technology maybe or whatever it takes to make even deeper and advanced stuff becasue these games are right up my alley.

in philip gold, do i have to garrison troops in cities that aren't mine or my allies? i always tear down the walls and garrison one unit of spearmen since they are cheap but wonder if once the area is secured and they have consistent food, that maybe garrisons aren't needed at all.

Level 6 Human Dad
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 21, 2012 at 10:24 am

Great news about the graphics. I'm sure the distinct graphical enviroments will be more enjoyable to play. I do hope the graphics also increase the intuition of the game. Sounds like the Hegemony team is working that angle. I want to stress that the players really appreciate that, and the intuitive nature of the Hegemony games is one of the game's better features, in my opinion. I think designing any war/strategy game with intuition is inherantly difficult when the goal is to create a realistic game experience. So I'd like to praise the developers on getting a good handle on that delicate balance. I imagine the balance between playabilty and realism can be challenging. I wish all the Hegemony team all the luck on refining that in Hegemony Rome. Make it great and don't rush...we'll wait and play Hegemony Gold in the meantime.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on April 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm

disappointed dude lol about the release date. i thought i read somewhere where the game was probably going to be coming out this summer. so are we like a year away, years, or? i know you can't give exact but based on your feel for what the situation is?

While we were hoping to have the game out earlier, those initial estimates were done before we actually had solid feature and asset lists and, when it came down to making a choice between rushing it out to meet a somewhat arbitrary deadline vs taking the time to do it right, the choice was pretty clear. There are various quotes from game developers about the first 90% of the project being about making the game playable and the second 90% being just for polish. We underestimated that second 90% in the original Philip of Macedon game and then tried to compensate in Gold, but we're determined with Rome to get it right the first time. So, while we're still in the later stages of the first 90%, I can definitely tell you it's not years away and we are hoping to give players access during that polishing phase so it might be sooner than you think.

in philip gold, do i have to garrison troops in cities that aren't mine or my allies?

Yes, if you control a hostile enemy city you will need some level of garrison to keep it from rebelling. However, as you've discovered, tearing down the walls significantly reduces the required garrison size and if you use basic spearman it can be fairly cheap to hold and actually generate a net positive amount of income.

I do hope the graphics also increase the intuition of the game. Sounds like the Hegemony team is working that angle.

It's nice to hear that that issue is appreciated because it has definitely been one of our main design considerations in the past and in Rome particularly. Hegemony is a big game with lots going on, so hopefully the fact that you'll be able to quickly asses the strength of an enemy city by the number of guys on the wall or that you can tell that a farm's production has halted because the farmers are cowering from the enemy rather than working the fields, will make strategizing smoother and more natural. And frankly, it's just more satisfying to have your besieging army shoot the defenders off the wall rather than just having a garrison count tick down or to have the wall crumble beneath your siege towers when you finally take the city rather than just a flag changing colour.

Make it great and don't rush...we'll wait and play Hegemony Gold in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience. We really appreciate the support and kind words from the community and we'll keep doing our best to deliver the game you guys are hoping for.