Skip navigation

Travel East?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Travel East?
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 6:07 am

Thanx for many hours of enjoyment with Hegemony Gold. As little as I want to keep you from developing Rome, I have a question or two.

Firstly, as much as I like the seamless zooming I still feel that the ability to zoom in so close is almost redundant. Other games do this better, and I always play my Hegemony battles half-way out for overview. It seems to be a craze amongst current game designers, that games must have excellent close up graphics. Personally, I miss a game that is able make the “semi-distance” representation look authentic. Hegemony is really good in this respect, but I wonder if this (the half-way in representation rather than really close in) is something that you plan to develop further?

Secondly, I kind of miss the Man management approach to historical war games in general. If we believe the precept that war is a social institution, getting the “right” kind of men would be just as important as getting the “right” kind technology. This would land us in the realm of HR and Man management, a whole new schebang that few wargames depicts in a satisfying way. Do you have any thoughts on adding Man management, such as character development?

And lastly, I note that the functionality of the game actually would do great in a Japanese feudal setting. Is Longbow interested in going someplace else after Rome, or are you firmly set on the ancient European?

/H

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Glad to hear you're enjoying Hegemony!

I think you'll be happier with the graphics in Hegemony Rome. Although we have spent some time improving the close-in graphics, as you can see here, you'll also find the semi-distance representation looks more authentic. If you take a look at this screenshot (click to embiggen), which is as far as you can zoom out before switching to the strategy map, you'll see a small brigade of troops in the mid-left. They're hard to see if you don't know they're there!

As far as "man management" goes, we tried to get a bit of that feeling with the general and levelling systems in the first game. We're expanding it a bit in Rome, so you're going to see much more variation in your generals, and you'll also be able to assign generals to cities. We'll also be playing up the variation between Caesar's legions, so they'll all have different stats, and you'll want to use them for different tasks.

I think the engine would work really well for Japan as well! As a matter of fact, at one point in time we were seriously considering doing a game about Emperor Jimmu, the legendary first emperor of Japan. One of the reasons we turned it down and went with Rome instead was because we wanted to stick with a more historical setting, but certainly there's other periods of Japan that would work well.

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on July 5, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I found another screenshot WOOHOO