Skip navigation

Selecting units

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Selecting units
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 12, 2012 at 2:29 am

I follow this forum on an on and off basis, so apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I've been somewhat frustrated for a while about the difficulties involved in selecting units, when several units are positioned close to each other. For instance, trying to select a unit of new slaves, while the unit that enslaved them is still standing on top of them, can be a bit of a pixel hunt. Trying to do the same thing when zoomed out is usually even more difficult.

I have a couple of suggestions for how this could be improved. Firstly, if I already have a unit selected, there's obviously no need to select it again, so it shouldn't light up when I mouse over it on the map, trying to select another unit close by. Secondly, I think some work could be done on the "detection boxes" (or whatever they're called, I'm no programmer) associated with different unit types, when zoomed out. For instance, the spear of the phalangite model often blocks selection of units standing just north of the phalangite unit, which is frustrating, and if I wanted to select the phalangite, I wouldn't be clicking its spear, but its body.

I hope this makes some sense, otherwise I'll be happy to elaborate.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 12, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I do know what you're talking about and it is definitely something I'd like to spend some more time on. Thanks for the feedback and I'll try to bump it up a little further on my todo list.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on April 12, 2012 at 8:57 pm

That sounds great. :)

I think implementing my first suggestion would go a long way to help alleviate this. Unless there's some reason why anyone would want to select a unit that's already selected (which I might well have overlooked). When multiple units are selected, there might be a reason for selecting just one of them, so in that case it should still be possible, obviously.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 13, 2012 at 10:21 am

Unless there's some reason why anyone would want to select a unit that's already selected (which I might well have overlooked)

Unfortunately, I can't ignore the selected unit because that would prevent the drag-move feature.

From what I recall, I think the biggest area for improvement is just improving accuracy. Right now the game uses a fast but fairly simple billboard system, and at a minimum I think this could be tweaked so the billboards better fit the unit meshes. Ideally, there would be a second stage where the game checked the actual unit mesh or a simplified collision mesh but that requires a lot more infrastructure changes.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on April 13, 2012 at 11:24 am

Unless there's some reason why anyone would want to select a unit that's already selected (which I might well have overlooked)

Unfortunately, I can't ignore the selected unit because that would prevent the drag-move feature.

There I go with the overlooking of things. :)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look into solutions. It's not exactly a huge problem, just a bit of a nuissance.

Level 6 Human Misanthropic Aficionado
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 15, 2012 at 5:06 pm

As a temporary work around you could select both units by click and drag and then select the unit card at the botton-center of the screen. It's slightly arduous, but better than pixel hunting.