Skip navigation

Unfinished graphic in HGOLD

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Unfinished graphic in HGOLD
Level 6 Human Dad
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 8, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I noticed a bunch of unfinished graphics in HGOLD. Does anybody know what they are? I imagine they were structures that had to be cut to meet a deadline, but I wouldn't mind knowing what they were and how they were intended to be used. Sorry if this is a re-post. Happy Easter!

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 9, 2012 at 12:37 am

The development of Hegemony was a long and very iterative process, and a lot did get left on the cutting room floor. If there are any files in particular that you're interested in, let me know and I'd be happy to share what I remember.

Level 6 Human Dad
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

ok, what are those small stone sttuctures that I see near cities. The structures look like ruined forts. When I first started playing HGOLD I tried to get my workers to construct something from them. I even noticed that they seem to be illustrated on the strategic map. On the strategic map they seem to be illustrated as thin stone pillars...like maybe shrines or spirtual monuments? Just curious.
Also on the Danube river there seems to be inactive large stone ports/docking areas. what are those..they look cool?

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 9, 2012 at 9:06 pm

They are probably villas. These were active in Hegemony, as a place could be repaired and a hero recruited. These were disabled in Hegemony Gold.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on April 10, 2012 at 10:08 am

Patricius is right, the ruined buildings near cities are what's left of the old villa feature from the original Hegemony. At the time we were trying to model how Philip would promote new generals by giving lands to members of his Companions. When we started Gold we quickly realized this was going to be a problem now that player's could play any faction on the map. Not only did the historical analogy not hold up as well but the majority of villas were concentrated in Macedonia with relatively few spread around the rest of the map. We considered placing more villas around the map for other factions, but after looking closely at the feature we decided that, although it added flavour, it didn't provide any "interesting decisions" (to quote Sid Meier) and was also harder to teach then just awarding the generals directly.

The ruins you noticed along the Danube were placed as landmark and don't do anything on their own. There's an objective later in the game where you need to position a fleet at a couple points along the Danube and those ruins were meant to make it easier to find the right positions.