Skip navigation

Hegemony/GOG.com

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony/GOG.com
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on April 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Out of curiosity, have you spoken to the fine folks over at GOG.com?

Stands to reason with their policies of zero DRM, and fair pricing, coupled with the new direction of including new and/or indie games, that GOG.com would be a good place for you guys to have the series on, good market exposure and all that jazz.

Everything also gets a large section on the front page on release, so even Gold could bring in new sales there, wouldn't slip under the radar.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 8, 2012 at 2:54 pm

We are big fans of GOG and I know Rick and Philippe both have a sizable collection of their games. Up until recently we hadn't thought of talking to them because, with the exception of their own Witcher games, their focus had been on older games at a much lower price point than Hegemony. However, I know they've started adding some newer titles like Grimrock and have expanded their price range a little so it might be worth checking out again.

As Rick recently pointed out in a rant on reddit, we appreciate that many player's like to make all of their purchases through their favourite digital stores and we try to support the most popular ones. However, there can be a surprising amount of overhead that goes into getting a game on a new distribution platform and, at least in our experience, it's often not worth the time it takes away from development so we approach them more carefully now.

Thanks for the feedback. GOG definitely seems to be one of the more promising up and coming digital retailers and we'll likely look into it.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on April 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Ack, didn't mean that to come across as a demand for it to be there (Steam is good enough for me), was just trying to be helpful, but yes in my ignorance I have no idea about the demands placed setting these things up.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on April 9, 2012 at 12:31 am

It's very helpful for us to hear where you guys like to buy your games. We don't have the resources to support every distribution platform out there so comments like yours are useful in helping us decide. Please keep the comments coming, they're always appreciated!

Level 7 Human questioner
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 9, 2012 at 3:39 am

I found out about the game through Gamersgate who are my preferred third party downloader.

However I bought the game directly from Longbow. Where I can I prefer to buy direct.

Level 8 Human Heroine
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 9, 2012 at 4:59 am

I like gog, becuz thery are selling old games, which were good in their time.
So why would Hegemony fit as a newer game in that category?
Well Im avtually seeing them having also Witcher 2, Heroes V or Assassins Creed.
Yes now its fits more into and could help selling

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 9, 2012 at 11:33 am

From what I've heard, GOG have dropped the "Good Old Games" moniker so that they can start selling new games. As Rob said, Grimrock is going to be the first new third-party game they'll ever have released, so I think they're taking this transition slowly.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 15, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I demand Desura. Mainly because I use them, but also because you could use Desura for "Alpha Funding" for Rome, in essence pre-orders to get into the alpha/beta.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on April 16, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I demand Desura. Mainly because I use them, but also because you could use Desura for "Alpha Funding" for Rome, in essence pre-orders to get into the alpha/beta.

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer Desura over something like GOG or Steam, or even Gamersgate? Don't get me wrong, I own a couple of games on Desura myself, and I don't have anything in particular against it, except I find the website and client somewhat obtuse.

Anyway, if Longbow were to release their games on GOG, that would be awesome. However, it would mean no DRM, and I wouldn't hold it against Longbow if they wouldn't want that.

Level 9 Human Truffle Farmer
Posted on April 19, 2012 at 11:43 am

However, it would mean no DRM, and I wouldn't hold it against Longbow if they wouldn't want that.

I'm curious, have you looked at the right-hand side of the longbowgames website? They are very much against DRM to my knowledge. (good for them!)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on April 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

However, it would mean no DRM, and I wouldn't hold it against Longbow if they wouldn't want that.

I'm curious, have you looked at the right-hand side of the longbowgames website? They are very much against DRM to my knowledge. (good for them!)

You need a serial key to unlock the full version. That's a very mild form of DRM, in my opinion, but I haven't seen it used in any GOG games, so far.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 4:59 am

In this case, serial codes are the lesser of two evils. The way Hegemony is designed, there was no way we could make the demo noticeably smaller by stripping out content. This is why the demo and the full version are identical. If we hadn't used serial codes, we would have wasted your bandwidth by forcing you to download the same thing twice.

Anyway, DRM is about access control, and our serial codes don't control your access in any way. Other software uses serial codes to connect to the Internet and make sure you haven't installed it too many times. Hegemony does nothing like that; the serial code only tells it to turn a demo into a full version.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 5:53 am

For me it was wonderfull to see that i can download the full version with my reg code from steam here, this hepls me a lot when the players here in germany could not log in steam at the last days.

With the download i was able to continue my conquest of greece, thank you for this good service!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm

In this case, serial codes are the lesser of two evils. The way Hegemony is designed, there was no way we could make the demo noticeably smaller by stripping out content. This is why the demo and the full version are identical. If we hadn't used serial codes, we would have wasted your bandwidth by forcing you to download the same thing twice.

Anyway, DRM is about access control, and our serial codes don't control your access in any way. Other software uses serial codes to connect to the Internet and make sure you haven't installed it too many times. Hegemony does nothing like that; the serial code only tells it to turn a demo into a full version.

I have nothing against registration keys, when they're used in this way. I was merely saying that I don't think GOG would allow it. At least, no GOG games that I'm aware of use registration keys.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I've personally preferred Steam. After all, I only heard of the game because it came up in the "recommended for you" section in Steam, it also allows me to give the game a recommendation so my friends can see it.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on April 28, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Their Witcher 2 release from GoG also had a key. They also give a key for NWN.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on May 2, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Just out of curiosity, why do you prefer Desura over something like GOG or Steam, or even Gamersgate? Don't get me wrong, I own a couple of games on Desura myself, and I don't have anything in particular against it, except I find the website and client somewhat obtuse.

I support them because they support me. I use both Linux and Windows and they have a lot of games for Linux. I don't think anything is wrong with their client. They are also the only one who helped me out when a geoip database went nuts and thought I was in England not America for a while.