Skip navigation

Love the game

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Love the game
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm

So, I bought the game a few days ago, havn't played much, just saved Macedonia from the barbarians.

I love the style of the game, beeing a minature gamer, the units remind me of my miniature units.
The game seems simple at first, then you realise how deep it goes. I'm still totaly new to it, so I have not masterd it yet. I have one qestion tho, the rome game will center around the invasion of Gaul, have you thought about having an expantion( I know very early to talk about that) that sets the game in 200s BC.
In my opinon this is a much more intersiting period for rome then Ceasers period.

1. Instead of fighting barbarians, you fight formed propper military armies, first you fight Pyrrhus with his phalanxs and elephants, then later the charthagenians and Hanibal. This is my book is romes major wars, before it became an empire.

2. Romans are more intresting, instead of the generic legionary, you got the triad system of Hastati, Principes and Traiarii, meaning more uniqe units for rome, and a intresting tactical challange, dealing with diffrent levels of quality troops.

Anyway just some thouhts, now I'm going back to Philip II

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 7, 2012 at 12:59 am

have you thought about having an expantion( I know very early to talk about that) that sets the game in 200s BC.
In my opinon this is a much more intersiting period for rome then Ceasers period.

We researched a lot of history, including Pyrrhus and Hannibal, before settling on the Gallic Wars for the principal campaign in Hegemony Rome. Among many other reasons, we chose the Gallic Wars because it was one of the few periods that gave us enough really well documented events to construct a game on the scale of the Philip campaign in Hegemony Gold. However, if Hegemony Rome goes well we do have plans for expansions that will highlight a few smaller, but still really interesting and often overlooked periods in Roman history. Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait to hear more about those because all our efforts are focused on Gaul right now.

If you're interested in more reasons why we chose Caesar and Gaul, there are a few interviews where we discussed it which you can read here:

Interview with Strategy Informer
Interview with RTS Guru