Skip navigation

great advise from the people

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > great advise from the people
Level 7 Human Dad
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 3, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hegemony team...rob and rick
I'd like to recommend a refinement in the future. I find that I get more enjoyment playing games when I can customize my character. Even if it's superficial. I would like to recommend for personal and in game organizational/strategy reasons to allow some appropriate customization of military units. For example allowing the player to name his own units. (exmpl: the 8th hoplite-mountain brigade) Maybe add the ability to give a unit a standard with some basic color or geometric shapes to choose from. Perhaps when appropriate, allowing the player to develop the size of his units, within game balance limitations. (example a hoplite unit w/troop strength of 20 instead of 40 or 50)
I understand some of these recommendations might sound simple but may actually be challenging for game balance. But I for one would get more enjoyment from conquering the ancient world with my own units that I've either developed or nurtured/built up. Or at least units that I perceive as my own. Just another idea from the people. Hopefully you perceive this idea as a refinement. Keep up the great work!

Matt

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I can't guarantee it yet but we have been looking at allowing players to rename units and cities in Rome. Custom insignias might be a little tougher but it's an interesting idea and we'll keep it in mind.

As far as other customizations, it might not be exactly what you're talking about but Rome has a much more flexible upgrade system then Gold. You'll be able to use your experience to promote a wide range of officer types that can improve stats like morale, recruitment speed, combat strength, view distance, etc. There's also a parallel system for spending resources to construct building upgrades in your cities.

Thanks for the comments.

Level 7 Human Dad
Posted on April 4, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Rob,
This all sounds wonderful. History is full of critical or significant generals and military units. The customizations you mention sound great and will greatly increase the uniqueness and effectiveness of the military units players rely on to execute their strategies. The customizations also sound intuitive. Players should also get extra satisfaction from succeeding with the units/generals that they developed. Sounds like Rome might blow Gold away. I wish you and your team all the luck.
Matt

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

i also think that would be a really good addition to the new game to at least be able to name your own units. a few months ago i finished the book, "caesars legion," which was mostly about his spanish tenth legion. pompey was the first i believe to start naming the legions. so it would add more realism but mostly for organizational purposes so that you could find your units easier. as for naming cities, i don't think that would be necessary.

Posted on April 20, 2012 at 11:44 pm

One of the things that attracted us to Rome and Gaul was the unique personality and history of the legions. In Philip/Gold we got a lot of requests for more custom units like the Companion Cavalry and the Sacred Band, so in the Rome campaigns we were aiming to give all of your legions unique names, portraits and other identifiers. These will probably be fixed in the campaigns so that the story/objectives still makes sense but in the sandbox I don't see any reason why you can't name your units after your favourite legions from whatever period.

Level 7 Human Dad
Posted on April 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

SWEET!Thanks for the great news. I can't stress enough, that the customization options you mention will make our armies easier and more enjoyable to organize and identify. Combining this with the General upgrade options you mention sounds wonderful. Not only wonderful because these options are fun, but wonderful because if your team develops it well, it'll be more realistic too. There is no doubt the team at Hegemony is on it! Awesome!

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 21, 2012 at 10:49 pm

yea i was wondering about the sacred band too. i haven't finished the philip campaign but sounds like there isn't one in the game. i read i believe it was pelopidas' biography a while back and he created a hand picked sacred band unit of 300 men to face the spartans who had taken thebes(where he was from) and who at that point in history were dominant. but pelopidas was successful with the sacred band and used subterfuge to get thebes back which in turn began the downfall of the spartans. they were believed to be unstoppable. later on though pelopidas was killed by alexander the tyrant of pheraes army when he was seeking revenge against alexander. good stuff! it's been kinda difficult understanding these ancients writing styles and keeping up with all the names of people in their stories when you don't know the circumstances. but history has opened up a whole nother world for me that i never thought i would enjoy.

Posted on April 22, 2012 at 2:53 pm

While they can be easily missed among all the other Theban hoplites, The Sacred Band is part of the Boeotian League and based in Thebes. I believe there is an objective to defeat them in the Philip campaign. Although they use the same model as the other hoplites, Britt gave them a custom portrait in Hegemony Gold. You can also control them in the sandbox if you play the Boeotian League.

The Sacred Band is actually one of Britt's favourite units and last summer at Gen Con she used them as a subject for a live painting demo.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 26, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I have a recommendation for a future expansion packs for Hegemony Rome. How about a expansion pack based on the Roman conquest of Italy? Like start as the city of Rome and conquer the Italian cities around?

Posted on April 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I have a recommendation for a future expansion packs for Hegemony Rome. How about a expansion pack based on the Roman conquest of Italy? Like start as the city of Rome and conquer the Italian cities around?

Thanks for the idea. It is one of the periods we looked into when we chose Rome, but we decided there weren't really enough well documented events to flesh out a full campaign. However, it could certainly work as DLC or as part of an expansion and we'll keep it it mind.