Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold now on Steam!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Gold now on Steam!
Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm

We've all been waiting a very long time for this moment, but it has finally happened: Hegemony Gold is now available on Steam!

We apologize for the long delay, but we have another piece of news that we hope will make it up to you: Hegemony Gold is now only $19.99! And of course, if you purchased Philip of Macedon, you can still upgrade for only $9.99, and this offer is also available on Steam!

I had a bit of fun delivering this news on YouTube, so if you want to see me act a bit silly (and who doesn't), watch the video here.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on March 30, 2012 at 5:38 pm

always love the videos!!!! I may buy gold on steam, sometime later on, when my pocket forces me to!

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on March 30, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Bit of a shame that our Keys dont work to register for the Steam version.

Admittedly Im loving the fact you folks are doing something different with the RTS genre, but Id rather wait and buy Rome, instead of rebuying Gold (for the 3rd time no less!) even if it would make life that little bit easier. Damn you for not doing this earlier! :)

Posted on March 30, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I'm waiting on a response from Steam to see if we can set it up so you can register your purchase on Steam.

Sorry for the long delay, it's definitely not the way we wanted things to go. It's a little controversial, but I posted my thoughts on this over on Reddit.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 30, 2012 at 9:07 pm

A fair point you make. Thing with Steam is, its successful because it works. Its like the gaming formula. COD works, many will emulate it, few will succeed. Same sort of deal with brand loyalty. Hardcore BF lovers wont buy CoD, and vice versa.

Then there are people like me. I hate DRM, but Im enough of a realist to know its not going away. Steam is my personal choice of acceptable DRM, couple with the fact that it usually lets me keep all of my games in one place, its just.. easy.

Here in the UK, Steam isnt quite such a powerhouse, Saints Row The Third being pulled from Steam in the UK due to retailer pressure on the publisher being the most recent example.

Another guy there had a point, if not for PoM being on Steam, I would likely never have heard of it, or you guys at Longbow. Even the GiN RTS award, wouldnt have made that difference as Id never heard of them either, until you mention they had Hegemony in the running. Funny how this stuff works really.

I suppose I see DD in the same light as having multiple DVD racks, all in different rooms. Too many and you forget where anything is. D2D, Impulse, Steam, GOG, Xfire (before it closed), GamersGate. Then having Hegemony through both Impulse, and direct from you. Starfarer direct, Towns direct, various MMO accounts, half of which the emails surprise me as Ive completely forgotten. Its all a bloody mess.

Yeah, sorry went off a bit there. Appreciate that you are trying, and my thanks for that. Its the little things that make small developers worth supporting. Hell, the misses practically adopts them!

Level 8 Human It Technician
Alignment: Evil
Posted on March 31, 2012 at 2:28 am

Couldn't agree more.

I, to, never would have heard of Hegemony, were it not for Steam. These days I only buy games that are found on Steam, as I can't be bothered to manage games on multiple platforms. There are a LOT of indie developers on Steam, which is fantastic.

I would really appreciate it, if our existing keys for Gold could be registered on Steam, so I can add the game to my collection there. I hope Rome will be released on Steam on day 1, as I'll be buying it once it is availble there :)

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on March 31, 2012 at 3:40 am

Con-gratz to all steam user ^^

I like to have the package in my cupboard :)
i like to touch the package and have a manuel in my hands to read
online-manuels are good but i like it on paper anyway

i have some troubble with steam the last years and dont like it very much
(troubble with Skyrim/CS/Postal3/DoW2)
but i think in the near future almost every game is connected
to a platform like steam, origin or battlenet
plus i think steam is a good way for developers to minimize risks
and to get exelent feedback cause troubble issues can
better been analyzed this way

btw nice vid and nice haircut rick ;)

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 1:42 am

I talked to a couple of Steam guys at the GDC, and they apologized for the lengthy delay, and assured me that they're working to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen again. I told them that I hope we can get Rome on Steam on day 1, because it does neither us nor Steam any good if it's stale by the time it gets on Steam, and they agreed.

This was all very casual, but hopefully it's a good indication for the future.

Oh, and if any Steam users find their way here and want the physical copy that GerTribe was talking about, there's a round-about way of getting it:

1) Register your purchase on our site.
2) Go to the Download Centre and click the "Order replacement CD" link listed under your purchase.

The CD costs $10, and comes in a proper DVD case with a full paper manual.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 2, 2012 at 3:39 am

That's good to hear.

Couple questions though.

First up - If you are still planning on the Rome beta for pre-orders, how would that work with Steam if it will be Day 1 purchase?

Secondly - For a boxed version, is that Canada & US only, or do you ship international?

Edit: Sorry a third somewhat offtopic question. In Rome, will ships be able to carry more than one unit of troops? Noticed today island hopping for the Nth time that its.. a bit of a pain, thats all :) (Didnt feel worth creating a new thread just to ask that)

Posted on April 2, 2012 at 4:20 am

We are still planning on doing the pre-order betas, but we don't yet know how Steam will fit into that. I'd like to make the beta available on Steam, even if it had to be later in the life cycle of the beta process, but it's way too early to say.

We ship the boxed version everywhere. Our default shipping option is lettermail, so it's cheap, but snailmail can take a few weeks if you're across the pond. (CanadaPost tells us that an international shipment takes 4-7 days, but I don't know how often that's true, because customers only contact me when it's late.)

We haven't done much development with ships yet, so I can't say much on that front. Even if we don't allow multiple units on ships, I'd like to see some better tools for managing multiple ships. A simple improvement would be if you could select a unit in a city (or multiple units) and simply press a "Load available ship" button instead of having to right-click on each ship individually. But like I said, this isn't done yet, so don't hold me to it.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

Appreciate the answers, thanks!

Yep, even just making boarding a little more "user friendly" would work just as well.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 4, 2012 at 3:40 am

I'll just leave this little link right about here: http://www.desura.com/
Desura has a whole section for Alpha Funding. It's mainly indie developers on there. Windows and Linux support, with future Mac support (so we're told). I've bought a couple games off of it, and it works smoothly.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I just tried using my gold key from here on steam and it registered right away. And since you're sensible about where you store save games my game in progress is available in the steam install too. Good job lads.