Skip navigation

Countless Troops

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Countless Troops
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on March 20, 2012 at 7:32 am

Hy,
Im playing for around 25h and im near to the boarder with the island from athen/spain in the south.
I cap larissa and sorounding areas and try to conquer the west - direction of albania ( i think )
but the enemy is overwhelming.
I destroy unit after unit of hoplits and he send more and mor ... i play on hardest game-mode
how is this possible?
i use cavalery with phillip as commander and cap food supplys and mines as much as i can...destroy the spearmen which want to retake...but the countless gruops of hoplit...I cant discribe it.
In the north im in war with the illyrier and pella is my most eastern city...under attack by athens landing troops and from the east (dont know tribe-name)
i cant expand because i got not enough troops...i must guard so many boarders against attacks

what can i do? pls help ^^

oh yea...and i got a problem with range-enemy...i found a threat about auto attacks if u are under range attack...is this still an issue?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

One good tactic is to focus on wiping out one faction at a time. When you zoom out far enough you'll see the faction colours, and once an entire faction is eradicated, they can't come back.

It's also worth strengthening your borders. The enemy will attack any weak point, so if you don't have a large enough garrison on one of your borders, they'll attack you. Remember to tear down walls in your inner kingdom to free up unit points that can be used on your frontier.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 20, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thanks for response
yea, i´ll try to.

For today i wanne re-organize my supply-lines and hope i can archive gold and food
for my campain in the west

any help with the auto-attack Rick? :)

Posted on March 21, 2012 at 6:51 am

Are you talking about this tread?

If you ever see that happening, you can easily fix it by moving your ranged units a little closer.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 21, 2012 at 8:54 am

No, was an older from 1 year ago or so.
And my problem is not my range unit...its the enemy range unit.
He throw spears and my men stand still.
i mean - even with a general in the group - they dont move.
brave soldiers ^^
a meele unit should always try to get in meelerange to fight if it is attacked by a range
thats my problem with a city near diamos - the enemy came with 7-10 range units
an my units in the city are going to intercept...
i can see when they engage to fight with the first 2 range units in close cambat...then i must check my other fights an hope, that they can handle it
but when i come back i see that my little force is under range-fire
they destroyed the first 2 units but they dont fiht the other 5 (because they dont move by their own)
and their fate is sealed...

Posted on March 21, 2012 at 10:14 am

Unfortunately, the troops in Hegemony Gold never take their own initiative. At first this sounds like a simple request, but it's really quite complicated. If the brigades just think "Any time I'm taking fire, I should move to attack my enemy", then what would happen if the enemy was faster than them? Your brigade would be chasing them all over the map until one of them dies or starves.

The good news is that we've been working on adding this feature to Hegemony Rome. You'll be able to set some sort of stance or standing order to say "Hold this point, and if somebody attacks you, move to intercept, but move back to this point once you scare them away."

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on March 23, 2012 at 5:10 am

Micromanagment FTW ^^
I crushed to the south and now im in war wih theben.
I start a little recon-mission around the theben-citys
goddamned they got so many troops...i wonder how they can feed them all ^^

is there a possibilitie to change a captured city to a macedonian city?
i got a plenty of city full of manpower but i cant use it to regroupe
with my forces because they are still hostile (under my control but not macedonian)

i thougt about building workers for my mines and replace
the workers from my origin citys (slaves always beeing
converted to manpower in pella/larissa - so my mines are full of workers)

Posted on March 23, 2012 at 11:56 am

With the exception of a few quests that will turn specific cities Macedonian, no, there's no way to do that. The game is supposed to take place over the life span of a single man, so it doesn't really make sense historically.

Like I said, tearing down walls when you don't need them is really important; not only does it save you money, but it makes the city less likely to rebel, so you need less troops to keep them in line. It's also worth noting that spearmen are generally your best choice for garrisons, because they're cheap but they have a lot of manpower.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 10, 2012 at 5:35 am

Ok, after 80 hours of gaming *g* i now conquered the illyrier an reach the tribal region and
face great horse armys and large numbers of range units wih them

is the northern terretories (northern from danube) belonging to one region and one tribe ?
there are only 5 or 6 citiys but they have huge units and i have to take long ways to reach them

i hope i can take one or two and can make peace with the rest

i started a long-range-recon mission with one boat an drive along the coastline east->south->back to the west and around the spartan island

i wonder how long it will take to conquer the whole map ^^

so far as i can see i must use many mercs to proceed because my hometowns are in macedonien and are too far away from crete and rhodos and the persien citys and i cant risk to loose my units in the middle of nowhere

according to this i have another question rick

when i conquered to the east from pella i have take some citys with harbours and supplylines via water.
im not sure but i think it take much longer if these routes are bloked by an enemy to become normal
isnt it?

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on April 11, 2012 at 4:40 am

during my recon mission i found out that most citys have generals
but i dont see them in units if i conquer the land

the ai dont use the generals ?

besides - sparta without walls - thats what i call historical !

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm

No, the ai doesn't use generals. Not sure if it's deliberate, an oversight or a bug but I wish they would.