Skip navigation

RBT BOOTED AGAIN.....lol

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > RBT BOOTED AGAIN.....lol
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 15, 2005 at 11:27 pm

its the 3rd time today this has happened???
rbt knocks me off the server and freezes up my pc and the the harddrive gos crazy. im not the only one this is happening to. this is getting me a bit worried. this has happened in the past also. its only in RBT this happens. :cry:

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 11:52 am

Could you explain in more detail; do you see any error messages? Is there any connections sucking up your bandwidth, any CPU intensive programs running?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 7:48 pm

error messages sometimes other than that i dont have other unnecessary programs running.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 7:50 pm

Is it when you are trying to spectate?? I find that this happens regularly when I try check a game in progress--or try to host, and only one game is going on at the time..so, by default, the cursor hits that game, and voila!! I am stuck!!

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 8:15 pm

i have to unplug my computer because its that damaging :cry:
it wont let me reboot normal way. i can be doing nothing just sitting in chat room and this will happen.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 8:19 pm

Time for a check-up---indubitably

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 8:28 pm

RBT can't screw up your computer up like that... maybe something in your computer is doing it... ever thought of cleaning out the dust inside? Maybe a CPU is getting fried, some hardware is failing? U should look into that. Software like RBT can't make your computer have problems that serious... I would check things out...

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 8:37 pm

i just got a new motherboard at the end of last year because of this im not that stupid dust...lol comon man its only in
RBT this happens no where else have i ever had this problem its this game only

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 10:07 pm

Full reinstallation of RBT?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 17, 2005 at 5:54 am

Many's the time iv'e encountered same problems...and just this morning when i tried to register in the RBT Playoff room (carefully following Mask's instructions) i got as far as 'enter, enter', created ID etc.....then...phftttt !!!...and has happened before (and it ONLY happens in RBT) RBT shut down completely.....got 'Report Error' message box from Mircrsoft saying there was a problem with Rival Ball Tournament...when i got back into RBT is was all OK again, my rego had worked, had one game in the RBT public room and everything seemed fine...

my machine was overhauled last Saturday, and J, it was dusted too!!!!!.....LOL......everything was re-installed, including RBT...

don't ge me wrong anyone, i'm not having a whinge......just confirming you're not alone Mask and i wouldn't be surprised if others have experienced same or similar problems.....up until now we've let it slide and carried on regardless...but with the tourney coming up soon, all of us should be made aware that some of us may ecnounter this problem....apart from that

let the 'ICE TOURNAMENT' begin!!!!!! :D :D :D

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 17, 2005 at 10:49 am

Actually d, I have the exact problem too. I have a hunch that the code in the program has some loose ends... I just having only TI-Basic programming experience, I know that if there are open holes in the code, the program may have errors. It's just a hunch that there may be a bug in RBT that is not obvious to the naked eye. On the online side, the lag is probably from either the amount of data that needs to be sent, or the reason there is lag is due to the coding of what data is sent. I feel like I am attacking LDA and if I am, I am sorry, but it just feels like the online side of RBT has just been retrofitted with the same Rival Ball engine with a few modifications. From my perspective, RBT is still a buggy program, has A LOT of potential, and should be attended to more. Sorry if I sounded rude... :cry:

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 17, 2005 at 1:27 pm

If anybody can find a way to reliably reproduce this error, that will go a long way to helping us find the bug.

We're planning on looking at a lot of these issues in September, but we're under a pretty tight deadline with our new game at the moment.

As far as lag, RBT handles that about as well as it possibly could. The problem is that the Internet wasn't really designed to send packets as fast as possible, so it took some work to figure out a way around it while still letting people on dial-up play. If you think about it, RBT needs to send packets even faster than a first-person shooter.

Retrofitting the Rival Ball engine into RBT wouldn't work, because Rival Ball only needs to show you when the other player has destroyed a block, and if there's lag, nobody knows because you can't see the other player anyway.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 17, 2005 at 1:49 pm

Yes, I have kind of noticed... apparently... these errors happen on random, so I don't know exactly what to do to reproduce it... for the lag, would it be possible to introduce some sort of compression, u know that would allow more data to go through or something, or have a new way it determines how the balls go? Perhaps a trajectory type of data could be sent instead of just saying where the ball is. I don't know... but it's just some afterthoughts...

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 17, 2005 at 2:47 pm

As for lags, the most annoying part is when the ball goes stright through the bricks without breaking 'em, and then the opponent catch it as if nothing had ever happened.

Signal loss is a big problem for a few players.