Skip navigation

Hegemony Gold 1.5.5 and Hegemony: Philip of Macedon 1.1.6 released

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Gold 1.5.5 and Hegemony: Philip of Macedon 1.1.6 released
Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

After last week's beta for Hegemony Gold 1.5.5 went without a hitch, we decided to release it. We also released a new build of Hegemony: Philip of Macedon that fixes a rare crash.

To update, just log into the Download Centre and you'll be able to redownload the latest version of any games you've bought. And if you're still playing Hegemony: Philip of Macedon, be sure to check out Hegemony Gold: Wars of Ancient Greece; it adds two new campaigns and a whole slew of gameplay tweaks that make the game more interesting to play, and upgrading is only $10.

If you bought you game at another site, the update will show up there eventually, but you can also get it right away by registering your purchase here.

Level 6 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on February 29, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Need some help with the Patch for Hegemony Gold.
Do I have to download a whole new game (222MB)?
I thought a patch would be around 2-6 MB or so.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 29, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Unfortunately we don't have a patching system so you will need to re-download the whole game. With patches there's a lot of maintenance and testing required to make sure they work with every version of a game that's been released so, since Hegemony is is pretty small, we find it safer to have people download the complete update. It will install right over your previous version and you should be able to launch it with the same shortcut you used before. The version number appears in the top-right corner of the titlescreen if you want to confirm you're playing the right one.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on March 2, 2012 at 3:46 am

Ok, thats no problem, but whats about my savegames? Still running under new version?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on March 2, 2012 at 7:29 am

Ok, thats no problem, but whats about my savegames? Still running under new version?
yes your save game should work fine.

Level 7 Human Ranger Gamer
Posted on March 2, 2012 at 7:41 am

The new icons for some of the units are very nice ^^ It's discreet, but adds a lot to the global attractiveness of the game.

Posted on March 26, 2012 at 3:45 pm

It's actuallty a very little detail, but it bugs me a little too ^^ It's that "Click here for more objectives" line : could it be raised up (close the expenses/income line) to be less "in the way" ?

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on March 27, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Is there a list with all Objectives and the benefits for fullfilling it?
I like the missions when my cavalery unit "grow" - same as one of my infantery units
Theben hoplits units are 50 men and mine just 40 exept the one which is 56 (grow through
multiple missions)

Posted on March 29, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Is there a list with all Objectives and the benefits for fullfilling it?
I like the missions when my cavalery unit "grow" - same as one of my infantery units
Theben hoplits units are 50 men and mine just 40 exept the one which is 56 (grow through
multiple missions)

If you go to the Companion Cavalry or Hypaspists page in the manual it will give you a list of all of the objectives that expand the size of each unit.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on March 30, 2012 at 5:01 am

shame on me :(

here comes another one (i hope its not in the manual too)

can just pella grow with settlers or any city ? i mean grow = more supply nodes
my problems are citys sorrunded by many mines or farms and i have no chance to connect all
of them
its very hard with occupied citys but its even harder when its a macedonien city with only 3 nodes :(

and i think it must be possible to deccide if you want to have a sea-line or a land-line

yesterday i lost 2 citys cause they where connecte just over sea and in the wintersaison
they started to starf and to rebel so i let them fall back to athen

edit
i just read the entire manual and wanne ask for settler and migrants. what are the differents
in the game ?

Posted on March 30, 2012 at 5:32 pm

shame on me :(

here comes another one (i hope its not in the manual too)

No problem. We realize the manual could be better organized. It works well as a reference for more information on something you've already found (e.g. by clicking a link in an objective or hitting F1 when the mouse is over an object), but it can be a little awkward if you just want to browse.

can just pella grow with settlers or any city ? i mean grow = more supply nodes
my problems are citys sorrunded by many mines or farms and i have no chance to connect all
of them
its very hard with occupied citys but its even harder when its a macedonien city with only 3 nodes :(

and i think it must be possible to deccide if you want to have a sea-line or a land-line

yesterday i lost 2 citys cause they where connecte just over sea and in the wintersaison
they started to starf and to rebel so i let them fall back to athen

Only the native Macedonian cities will except Migrants to increase their population. This was intended to represent the urbanization program that Philip II undertook when he was crowned. The max population for each of these cities is based on their relative sizes during the time period.

The number of supply nodes on a city is fixed. The intent was to have this correspond with the historic trading level of a city and to force players to choose what routes were priorities.

edit
i just read the entire manual and wanne ask for settler and migrants. what are the differents
in the game ?

I don't think we actually use the term settlers in the manual as we didn't want to confuse players with the well known civ settler units that are used to create new cities.

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on March 31, 2012 at 2:30 pm

i found it -.-
the headline is "Settling Migrants" -> brainbug

to the supply nodes - a long way between farm and market means slow food transport right?
is it even to mines?

Posted on March 31, 2012 at 3:48 pm

to the supply nodes - a long way between farm and market means slow food transport right?
is it even to mines?

It's not actually the speed that changes with the length of the supply lines but the rate that changes e.g. short routes can move 50 units of food per day while long routes can only move 10 units per day (numbers are approx). The food will start to appear immediately at the given rate.

The supply line limits don't really apply to mines, you'll get the same income from a mine regardless of how long the line is (although there is a greater risk of long supply lines being cut by the enemy)

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 5:38 pm

It's just a little something : in the Assets window, the new button that's been added for the generals (wether they're attached or not) does not show a pop-up when hovered ^^

It also happens sometimes that when I try to path a way for a unit using the Shift key, the game tries to fore his own "faster" way to reach the point intended. It can be handy, but most of the time, I'm just trying to avoid crossing some bounderies and stuff, and it would fine if the game didn't override my order =P

Posted on April 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm

It's just a little something : in the Assets window, the new button that's been added for the generals (wether they're attached or not) does not show a pop-up when hovered ^^

Unfortunately, at this point in the process we're maintaining multiple languages for the game and so if I add a new block of text I need to add it in three or four different languages. This requires a lot of coordination and I was hoping in this case the icon was clear enough that I could get away without a tooltip.

It also happens sometimes that when I try to path a way for a unit using the Shift key, the game tries to fore his own "faster" way to reach the point intended. It can be handy, but most of the time, I'm just trying to avoid crossing some bounderies and stuff, and it would fine if the game didn't override my order =P

If I understand correctly, you're plotting waypoints using shift but the game is erasing those and re-plotting a more direct route? I know this will happen if you plot waypoints towards a moving target like another unit and if I recall there might be an issue using waypoints before a siege but i'd have to check that out.

The waypoint system in Gold is admittedly fairly basic. It merges the path together as you plot each point and so when the target changes it needs to scrap the entire path rather than just going back to the last waypoint. We're expanding the waypoints a lot in Rome which should fix this situation.

Posted on April 4, 2012 at 3:01 am

Unfortunately, at this point in the process we're maintaining multiple languages for the game and so if I add a new block of text I need to add it in three or four different languages. This requires a lot of coordination and I was hoping in this case the icon was clear enough that I could get away without a tooltip.

I personnaly didn't have any trouble identifiying what it was for ; I was just pointing at it cohesion-wise as it's the only one not having a tooltip, and some new players might see it as a bug or something ^^ It might not be that important.

If I understand correctly, you're plotting waypoints using shift but the game is erasing those and re-plotting a more direct route? I know this will happen if you plot waypoints towards a moving target like another unit and if I recall there might be an issue using waypoints before a siege but i'd have to check that out.

The waypoint system in Gold is admittedly fairly basic. It merges the path together as you plot each point and so when the target changes it needs to scrap the entire path rather than just going back to the last waypoint. We're expanding the waypoints a lot in Rome which should fix this situation.

It really happens mostly in other situations, like I need to send a unit to a city that might be in trouble, or just garrison it. I'll "Shift" its course, but if at some point the path makes a rather large detour, the game will assume the fastest way to do so will be better - mostly, the new route will now cross through an ennemy territory (which I was avoiding in the first place). It mostly happens when there's a 90° angle, and the path will smooth itself to a rough 30° course ; or if two of the waypoints are cities (that form a 90° angle in the path).

---

And I'm sorru if I bother you again, but I seem to have some trouble with the Breaking Truce pop-up. I can right-click to make the Diplomacy window come up, but whenever I left-click to go to the truce-breaking unit, nothing happens...

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on April 10, 2012 at 5:46 am

Whould it be possible to make the colors more different on the strategic map?
sometimes its hard to see where the borders are and which teritory belongs to which tribe

Level 6 Human gamer
Posted on April 10, 2012 at 6:27 am

to the truce-troubble issue

same with me - i click but nothing happens
i can only see which unit is it and so i can find it very fast because there are only a few
on the map and not in the citys