Skip navigation

"Overcrowded" & "Forest"? WTH?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > "Overcrowded" & "Forest"? WTH?
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 6, 2012 at 11:04 pm

What are the actual effects of being "Forest" or "Overcrowded"? I can't find any documentation anywhere on what exactly (heck, even generally) they do.

It's clear enough what makes both states happen; when a unit is close enough to a forest, or another (allied) unit it will get a little symbol over it and a label in the text box. What's up with that?

My impressions are that "Forest" has something to do with sight distance while "Overcrowded" is bad. Does anyone have anything more concrete than that? I'd really like to know the cost of overcrowding, as it's darn helpful sometimes, but range units really seem to hate it.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on February 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Unfortunately there isn't a good article in the manual but if you hold the mouse over the applicable icon next to the unit's name when it's selected you'll get a short tip about each effect.

As you surmised, the Overcrowding debuff is to help reduce the benefits of piling all your units on top of each other. Generally, it reduces the combat effectiveness in proportion to the number of units that are overlapping so that two units on top of each other will fight half as well.

When units are in forested terrain their view distance is significantly decreased but they also receive some protection from ranged fire.

Hope that answers your questions.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on February 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm

That's just what I was looking for, thanks. All this time, and I never thought to just hover over that little icon.

I appreciate how accessible everything is, but now that I'm 175+ hours in I'm looking for a little more detailed understanding of my choices. Your overcrowded description helps me weight pros and cons better, thanks.

As long as I'm posting; I've gotta say that I'm really impressed with this game. Not only am I having fun, but I'm learning a little about ancient Greece. I actually spent a while yesterday figuring how Phillip's empire expanded historically, and comparing that to my approach.