Skip navigation

Tutorial

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Tutorial
Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on February 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm

In Hegemony Rome will the tutorial be seperate or will you have to play through it every time you want to start a campaign? i know that there are four different campaigns about Caeser in gaul but will the tutorial be attached to the first one? i am asking this because in Gold every time you start the Philip campaign you have to do the tutorial and it gets very annoying. keep up the great work.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 6, 2012 at 4:59 pm

We're still experimenting with the tutorials, and I have a few thoughts on this. The design I'm most interested in right now involves building a nice long learning curve into the main campaign, then having an 'expert mode' that unlocks the features immediately.

I'm generally not a fan of games that make you play through the tutorials before you can actually play, since I prefer to jump right into a game, but there's a lot of difficulties in getting the balance of this design right, which is why most strategy games haven't been ambitious enough to try it.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on February 7, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I've seen games do it so that the tutorial is a separate mini-campaign that teaches you the basics, while still letting you jump right into the main game if you choose to skip the tutorial.

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on February 8, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Thanks that sounds cool. How would you unlock the expert mode though?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on February 8, 2012 at 10:11 pm

It would probably just be a checkbox when you start the campaign. I'm not a fan of games that lock out features until you meet some requirement. I like to compare it to movies: can you imagine if you bought a DVD and they didn't let you watch the special features until you watched the movie?

That applies to the campaigns as well; obviously we don't suggest starting halfway through the story, but if you want to do that, it's your prerogative.