Skip navigation

food shortage and what are workers for?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > food shortage and what are workers for?
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 30, 2012 at 4:15 am

I have a question regarding food production in newly conquered cities. Though I have linked farms to these cities and upgraded the supply line, they are starving and thus start rebelling. I'm not sure if I have to assign workers to those farms in order to make them produce anything. I haven't produced any worker unit so far, as I assign slaves (which come in abundance :-)) to mines where they are actually required. Yet farms don't seem to require any hand at all and produce food all by themselves. Or, am I missing something?

btw, I just wanted to say it. The supply model in this game is simply superb ....

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on January 30, 2012 at 5:16 am

farm production rate change from season to season

you need garrison unit in capturing city :no food = no garrison effect = city rebel

It will take some time for you farm produse the food: x/week

x= rate of production

week=7 day about 70sec in real time
op that help a bit

worker can build wall,watchtower,move food to army or city(you have to do it yourself),can be put in mines if you run out of slaves

my english is a bit rust

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 30, 2012 at 5:55 am

thanks for ypur reply. Without knowing the actual mechanisms I already assumed that establishing the food supply requires some time. I wonder if there is something I can do to avoid cities rebellions in the meantime, since having workers transport food or moving sheep flocks around takes a while .... Probably I should have done that beforehand. But does allocating workers to farms any good?

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on January 30, 2012 at 7:43 am

We tried to design Hegemony to be fairly intuitive for players who understand the logistics of military campaigning.

Make sure your army is well supplied. Load a worker unit with food and have it follow your army, screening with scout cavalry.
-The worker doesn't use food itself.
-The combat units will automatically feed off the worker units food and pass it around to other combat units.
-The scout cavalry can dash ahead and grab flocks of sheep and other vulnerable points.
-Bring along a siege train of some catapults to shorten city siege times. (the longer the siege the more food you need)
-When you capture an enemy city, move in well supplied units to fill the city with food.
-The city needs food for the garrison to have any effect on preventing rebellion. (the key point to watch)

When workers are loaded with food and tag along with an army, they are acting like camp-followers. For extended campaigns into the sparsely farmed northern regions, or if I want/need to start a campaign in winter, I have started with as many as one fully loaded worker for every two heavy infantry units.

March into enemy areas around harvest time to keep well supplied.

You can also have flocks of sheep follow your armies. Combat units will automatically feed off them, the same way they feed off food-laden workers, except that the sheep permanently disappear.

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on January 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I wonder if there is something I can do to avoid cities rebellions in the meantime

If the captured city is out of food then there isn't much you can do to prevent it from eventually rebelling. If you do have a little food then you can choose to tear down the walls of the city to reduce the size of garrison needed to prevent rebellions.

But does allocating workers to farms any good?

Nope. In Hegemony Gold the farms automatically produce food according to the season and whether they've been recently torched by the enemy. This is actually something we're changing a little in the new Rome game as you're far from the first person who's tried to put workers into a farm.

Level 7 Human Ranger Gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 19, 2012 at 7:10 am

I was wondering how supplies worked for ennemy factions/cities/units. I'm currently fighting my way around Thebes, and it's insanely difficult ! They load army after army toward my troops, all the while leaving their cities without depleting their food stocks ! All the while, my units just merely crossing the radius of a city depletes half of its stock.

For example, I'm surrounding Thebes now, and the near city of Anthedon has the following troops garrisoned in it :
- 9 hoplites units (each 40 men)
- 10 peltast units (each 10 men)
All these units are leaving the city at once to help Thebes : there's currently 615/1200 foodstock in it. When all those units will have left the city, there will still be 600/12OO foodstock in town ! Most of the units don't carry more than 15 food.