Skip navigation

sandbox is insanely difficult?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > sandbox is insanely difficult?
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 23, 2012 at 9:57 pm

okay i recently got this game coz it's cheap

and waddaya know, this game is very exciting :D and massive

only been playing sandbox so far, but it's insanely difficult, the enemies are not unbeatable or anything
but i reached a point where i can't expand anymore

i played as Crete (coz i like arrows), and expand to the east, to the persian empire, i conquered 1/4 or so of persian, and begun taking losses, all those cavalry attacked me and routed most of my army

of course they are regenerated, but in couple of islands away, to send them back and forth i need to move back my triremes because they are so expensive and can't be purchased en masse. and even after i managed to fought back all attackers i simply can't advance coz i need to keep some troops garrisoned in persian cities to keep them to not rebel.
i reached the upkeep and can't do anything anymore :(

and that's only after taking 1/3 of persia.

i scrolled out and......... holy.... the map is so huge.... is it even possible to conquer all of these :|

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Crete is my favourite faction to play, but it's definitely one of the hardest. I usually go after Sparta first, but they're no walk in the park to conquer either. It's definitely important to pick your landing spot carefully so your first cluster of cities on the mainland is easily defended.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm

i made a mistake to conquer persia first, they barely had any mines

the forum is so quiet, isn't it?

this game deserves much more attention

Level 9 Human Student
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on January 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I would say that playing the main campaign first is best. Macedon has powerful unique units and you're not completely restricted by the story/objectives. You can expand as you please but you will quickly find Athens to be your worst enemy. Not sure if you have a problem with them as Crete, raiding your coastal cities?

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm

you're right

athens periodically attacking my island

but i intercepted them in the sea and sunk them before they land :D

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on January 26, 2012 at 6:06 am

Also, the main campaign has a bunch of missions that give you extra income as a reward. In the sandbox you don't have that so it can be a bit more difficult.

Although crete is also my favourite. Its just good they finally have hoplites now, in the gold beta they didn't have any sort of heavy infantry.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 26, 2012 at 9:24 am

i'll try the campaigns later

but my favorite is still crete :D, i love isolated land as the starting point, at least there's a territory that will be forever safe

would holding enemy's city for a long time change it's allegiance? i had conquered all of persia and the cities still attempting to rebel, shouldn't they become my cities by now so i don't have to recruit those expensive mercenaries...

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm

If Crete is hard, who is the easiest?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Sparta's not bad. They've got great hoplites, a lot of resources, and they're not too spread out, so it's fairly easy to defend your territory.

Posted on January 28, 2012 at 6:48 am

so i don't have to recruit those expensive mercenaries...

Strategy my dear friend.

You should be saving money by not recruiting expensive mercs. Get cheap spearmen from your homeland regions and ship them up as Garrison troops. Obviously your manpower will limit your expansion but at least you can afford to keep expanding.

As for the rebels going away, no. You can tear down the walls if you want to; the required garrison will decrease when there are no walls. It can be a bit annoying but you need to work around this somehow. All part of the joys of the game.

(I actually modded this to a minimum for my subsequent play-throughs by using some information from Rick. Takes a little bit of effort though.

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on January 28, 2012 at 11:12 am

You can also use "Convertcapturedcities (faction name here)" it will turn all of the cities you have captured from that faction to friendly. That means that you can still recruit thier mercanaries but they won't rebel.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm

@Blxz
even so i still need at least 60 of that cheap spearmen to garrison all, and excruciating effort of transporting them and repositioning them when they died hundred miles from their home city -_-
and one would think that after conquering asia minor you'll get to act like a boss

is that a cheat?

wow thank you :D

Posted on January 29, 2012 at 5:35 am

Not really, you have to hold the land. You would need to keep it for generations to get over the culture differences and have the revolts die down. Until then it needs to be garrisoned. Tear down the walls and it won't be 60 guys either. And yes, moving troops up is a pain. Thats why I modded the game for my second play through.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on March 12, 2012 at 6:42 am

Try to figth only with maximum of your troops and make taktical retreat if you fear to loose the unit.