Skip navigation

Server MOD

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Server MOD
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 15, 2005 at 5:34 am

Hi there,

I just started playing this game and I must say it's nice and addictive ;)
I used to play Quake 3 on a very high level and wanted to suggest making an "official" mod for clan matches...

I don't know if there's enough potential for this kind of mod, but I think it would improve the internet gameplay...

Anyone up for this? Because I'm willing to start something up.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 15, 2005 at 10:09 am

Hi, and welcome to the TM Drama Club! :mrgreen:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 15, 2005 at 6:25 pm

Indeed.

There will be much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Clothes shall be torn asunder and the distraught shall cover themselves in ashes. :wink:

In plain English, attempts at change have always resulted in hard fought debate. The one thing that we've been able to mostly agree on is that any official matches should remain stock. The ladders go back a number of years. The integrity of the results relies at least in part on the fact that they've always been based on the same stock set of weapons.

Of course... It's all rather moot at this point. They game barely hangs on. I don't think we've had any ranked games in quite some time. But if we do it will be stock, if for no other reason than to avoid the gnashing problem.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 15, 2005 at 6:27 pm

What Irascible said! :mrgreen: *Waves at irascible and reinierk*

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 15, 2005 at 6:30 pm

High Level? Are you refering to the better GFX? TM already has a mod like that called TM HQ. It you want there to e less ping that another story..but possible 1. less pollys 2. smaller textures 3. Making sure you have all that is on the server. i think that is all....

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 2:58 am

First fo all, "Hi all" ;)

What I meant with "high level" was not the detail level ;) but the competition level (our clan used to play for money etc.)...

Because that scene was so active, people decided to make a mod to support the high "demands" of the pro players... But ofcourse that had a lot of advantages for the "normal players" and made matches more clear, even and balanced...

Too bad that the TM scene is a bit dead, but I think they could revive it if they want it to revive... They just need to listen to the demands of these days... And imho "racing" with tanks is not one of them ;) But the deathmatch options are well worth expanding...

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 11:23 am

First try Dinochrome (shameless plug) make sure you have the RoundUp, Kansazz, Cup and Saucer and PitBull map addons with the Conan tank mod.
Post that, download the mods available in the community for free and make your own server.
Try the 85 Weapons SSO mods server.
There are lots of ways to mold this environment.
The trick is getting people to come and play in your pig pen.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 12:32 pm

Yeah getting us there is the biggest problem TM has, then again it is the only one i can think of right now. There just is not enough of us floating around to keep the servers full like Q3, Halo or Half-Life. No mod can do that...

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 4:29 pm

KT,

Based on usage observations it again is not necessarilly quality it is pace; if you play on Dinochrome, the pace means that with one good player or two middling players, you get an average seven to ten minute round per map.

Players want quick wins (which you still need to earn on a TM server), map changes (fresh terrain to deform) and fast action (then only thing that is different about Dinochrome aside from the Conan).

We live in a an ADD dominated (used to be called precocious) society managed with Riddalin. Quick changes is what they want.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 17, 2005 at 3:08 pm

I agree a fast paced game is a lot more fun than a game that takes forever unless its an RTS. If a match was only 10 mins it would still be nice to see that its not just cell shaded. :wink:
I am all up for game play but i like how it looks aswell.