Skip navigation

Game Freezes

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Game Freezes
Pages 1 2
Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 30, 2012 at 7:53 am

If you have a saved game shortly before the crash and if the game crashes soon after starting that saved game, then you can email the saved game to Rob here at Longbow Games.

You can send the saved game anyway, but the problem will be harder to solve if it doesn't crash on one of our computers.

Bottom line, if Rob can reproduce the crash on his computer, then he should be able to figure it out.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 30, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I'm always happy to check out savegames but Rick hasn't been able to duplicate the bug so far as it is almost certainly driver related and we don't have the same graphics card to test on. I'm looking around intel's site to see if I can find anything more specific but if you want you can try rolling back your graphics card drivers and see if that makes a difference.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 31, 2012 at 6:18 am

I did a bit more research, but nothing solid yet.

When you updated your drivers, did you do it through the Windows updater, or did you download the latest drivers from the Intel Download Center? If you did it through the Windows updater, it could be worth checking their download center to see if there's a newer driver. (The driver version in dxdiag is a different number than what Intel reports on their site, so be sure to use the driver date instead.)

If you already have the latest driver, then it's very probable that Intel introduced a bug in their latest release. In that case, try downloading one of the "Previously Released" drivers they list in their download center to see if that helps.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on February 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

My drivers are from the Intel website. The drivers are for a hell of a lot of chips: per Download Page they cover:
This software driver package will install the Intel® HD Graphics driver for the Intel® Core™ i3 Processors, Intel® Core™ i5 Processors, Intel® Core™ i3 Mobile Processors, Intel® Core™ i5 Mobile Processors, Intel® Core™ i7 Mobile Processors, Intel® Pentium® Processor G6950, 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3 processor, 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5 processor, 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5 vPro™ processor, 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor, and 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7 vPro™ processor.
In other words, pretty much all Intel chips in the past several years, including pretty much every laptop. If you have onchip graphics, you are using it. Maybe a friend will have a laptop you can use to test with, as you guys likely have separate graphics cards for everything.

Posted on February 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Just to update you, Rob got ahold of a tool Intel made to test for video card incompatibilities, but unfortunately it didn't reveal anything.

I've been trying to get some support from Intel so that I can at least point you guys to an earlier driver without this bug, but all they've done so far is brush me off and point me to the latest driver. Even more infuriatingly, they pointed me to this list with only 26 English games and said that the driver is crashing because Hegemony isn't on that list. Ugh.

I just sent another ticket, and hopefully Intel will actually read it this time.

Posted on February 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Okay, so Intel suggested you get your drivers from your computer manufacturer instead of from Intel, since computer manufacturers sometimes modify the hardware. What's the model of your laptop?

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on February 3, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I have the Dell Inspiron 1764. Currently I'm unable to access the drivers from their website, I'm trying to find a workaround though.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on February 5, 2012 at 7:32 am

Turns out using IE is the workaround. I updated my BIOS at the same time, so can't say which update would have done more. It seems to be working now though.

Pages 1 2