Skip navigation

Hegemony Rome First Screenshots

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Rome First Screenshots
Pages 1 2
Level 8 Human True Nerd
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Let me just say this one thing about it: those screens made me so excited about your new game, that i left Skyrim and Sword of the Stars II behind and for the last week or so, i've been only playing Hegemony Gold, for the first time in months! I'm sure this one will be as much fun as Philip of Macedon and later Hegemony Gold were.
Keep up the excellent work, cheers!

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on December 14, 2011 at 4:44 am

Wow, thanks! Rob's been losing a lot of sleep to Skyrim lately, so it's nice to hear that we've successfully cured somebody of the addiction :)

If you haven't already, make sure you sign up for the newsletter so you don't miss any important updates!

Level 8 Human True Nerd
Posted on December 15, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Wow, thanks! Rob's been losing a lot of sleep to Skyrim lately, so it's nice to hear that we've successfully cured somebody of the addiction :)

If you haven't already, make sure you sign up for the newsletter so you don't miss any important updates!

Of course i had, although i check the site for news anyway daily right now :) Tell me, are you going to make the world much bigger compared to Hegemony? If the Cities are large enough to have men on the walls, everything else must have been resized as well. Damn, even if Christmas is soon (and my long expected 10 days of vacation from work), i wish it was spring already :P
Nice evening from Italy!

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 15, 2011 at 2:50 pm

i check the site for news anyway daily right now

Our plan with the newsletter is more of a occasional summary of news for people who don't visit too often. If you're interested in the day-to-day stuff (aka developer ramblings and office antics) check out our twitter or facebook pages if you haven't already.

are you going to make the world much bigger compared to Hegemony

Geographically, the map covers about the same amount of terrain as in Philip/Gold, but this time around the guys are a little smaller and the terrain is much more detailed so effectively the game map is quite a bit larger. I'm not sure we really appreciated the difference until we started individually placing a million+ trees and rocks :)

This time around we're also trying to leave more open spaces for large battlefield manoeuvres and of course in Greece the entire centre of the map was water whereas in Gaul the water is just around the edges and there's a lot more land.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 17, 2011 at 5:30 am

Fantastic job guys :) Screenies look great. Now you've gone and made me play another HEGEMONY WoAG campaighn, shame on you taking my attention away from Skyrim and SWTOR :)

Level 9 Human gamer, Historian, trader
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 22, 2011 at 1:48 am

Let's hope this Roman game holds true to class warfare within Rome itself, from early fights between Etruscan King Rulers and Latini Tribal ruled, to later fights between Patricans and Plebs, only solved by LAW changes - Codification of Laws (12 tablets), Lower classes allowed into the miliary (around 370BC?), military pay, and and Marius Reforms etc etc. The REPUBLIC government was a major advancement for ROme because other nations had real class warfare that killed many and destroyed nations! (arab spring?)

CLasses you should have are

(1) Rulers
(2) Ruled
(3) Slave
(4) Criminal (hidden?)

Governemnt Types

(1) Monarchy - (Dictatorship but with religious backing)
(2) Tyrant - (As above but no religious backing)
(2) Republic - (Aristocrats in charge but Plebs have some degree of power, varies by laws enacted)
(3) Democracry (Mob rule - plebs in charge)

ETc etc

Hope to something similar

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

I think archaic Warrior is missing the point of this game entirerly.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on December 25, 2011 at 7:21 pm

My only question is this:

When can we preorder? Im itching to hand over my money for this!

Posted on December 26, 2011 at 11:10 am

My only question is this:

When can we preorder? Im itching to hand over my money for this!

We really appreciate your enthusiasm. We are considering doing pre-orders closer to release but we want to be able to give a more specific release date or be able to give access to pre-release versions if we do. For now we're still cramming on development but we'll know more in the next few months.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on December 31, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Thats good to hear, will be looking forward to future news.

Side note: Wife just saw Gold for first time, 5 minutes later she has bought her own copy and now also wants Rome, she likes to adopt starving indie devs ;)

Also, she owns a book that contains every single shield insignia from every roman Legion if that will be of use. Can either give you the books ISBN # or try to scan it in if needed.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 1, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Looking good, definitely gonna get it when it finally out =D

Level 9 Human gamer, Historian, trader
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on January 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I think archaic Warrior is missing the point of this game entirerly.

Maybe so but it would be to the games decrement not to have any political / class warfare elements.

AW.

Posted on January 2, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Maybe so but it would be to the games decrement not to have any political / class warfare elements.

Some interesting ideas, but like the previous games, Hegemony Rome is focused more on the tactical and logistical side of warfare rather than the politics. The game is set specifically during the Gallic Wars (58-51 BCE) so the political system and military are based on that period e.g. late-republic government and post-Marius legions. You will get some insight into the politics in the campaigns as they highlight some of the important events going on back in Rome with Pompei, Cato, et al. but the game follows Caesar's campaigns in Gaul and the city of Rome itself isn't on the map.

As far as classes go: we have carried over the slave system from Hegemony Gold as Caesar enslaved a lot of captured Gauls during that period and we're also looking into some options for representing hostages as they also played an important role in his campaign.

Wife just saw Gold for first time, 5 minutes later she has bought her own copy and now also wants Rome, she likes to adopt starving indie devs ;)

Also, she owns a book that contains every single shield insignia from every roman Legion if that will be of use. Can either give you the books ISBN # or try to scan it in if needed.

We appreciate the support :) We do have a few references on legion shield design but if you'd like to post the ISBN I'd be curious to check it out and see if it has anything new. Thanks.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 4, 2012 at 8:29 am

Legions of Rome: The definitie history of every Imperial Roman Legion.

ISBN: 978-1-84916-230-2

Author: Stephen Dando-Collins

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on January 4, 2012 at 5:29 pm

What about sea battle? will it be any differrent from gold? will we see the units one the ship using thier arrows and board on the enemy ship? and will be there variety of battle ships to build or just one kind?

Posted on January 5, 2012 at 1:31 am

Legions of Rome: The definitie history of every Imperial Roman Legion.

ISBN: 978-1-84916-230-2

Author: Stephen Dando-Collins

Looks interesting. Amazon seems to have a few copies left but it looks like it's getting republished as our local book chain here in Canada (Indigo/Chapters) says it's not coming out until July 2012. Without seeing anything myself I can't really comment but according to the Amazon reviews there might be some controversy about the shield emblems listed in the book but it definitely sounds like the author has some new material to bring to the topic.

What about sea battle?

We're not planning any major changes to the naval combat that was in Gold since it doesn't play as critical a role in the Gallic Wars as it did during the Peloponnesian. However, Caesar did fight on the english channel and one chapter of the campaign does involve Caesar's invasion(s) of Britain and ship combat will definitely play a role. There are also a lot more rivers on the map in the new game which will be useful for shipping supplies as well as putting more emphasis on bridge building.

Regarding the scale of ships. Unfortunately this is one area where we had more difficulty trying to unify the scale as making the ships large enough for even the reduced sized guys to walk around on board didn't leave much room for manoeuvring on the map. We haven't locked down naval combat yet so I'll be able to give you firmer answers in the coming months.

Pages 1 2