Skip navigation

Hegemony Rome First Screenshots

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > Hegemony Rome First Screenshots
Pages 1 2
Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 7, 2011 at 12:01 pm
Tagged: hegemony hegemonyrome screenshots

It's a busy news day here at Longbow. To followup on Rick's interview with RTS Guru we're excited to finally have the first official screenshots of Hegemony Rome.

The sampling we've got today shows off some of the variety in the terrain from the curving Seine river to the marshlands of the Thames and the dark forests of Germania that the Romans's called the Silva Nigra. If you look closely you can also see some of the new details like the legionnaires on the walls of the Roman city in southern Gaul.

This is just small preview today. We've been trying to fit some PR time into our dev schedule so stay tuned for more screenshots, videos and interviews in the comings weeks and months.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm

You guys rule, this is my dream game, finally no giant units, huge maps, big cities and cuztomizable, with units on walls.
This game will be total war killer total war killer total war killer.....

Level 9 Human professional ruffian
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Nice screenshots.....Very excited about this title.

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on December 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm

beyond awesome...

Level 8 Human Paladin
Posted on December 7, 2011 at 8:11 pm

This stuff makes me look forward to it a great deal!

Level 8 Human Delivery Man!
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 8, 2011 at 9:22 am

Looking good. Nice to see the detail increased. Hopefully it will play just as well.

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Posted on December 8, 2011 at 9:35 am

Those screens look fantastic, keep up the good work! Also, great interview, quick read with lots of info. Not going to be an easy wait for HR.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on December 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

I have tingles just thinking about it

Level 7 Human Senior Business Analyst
Posted on December 10, 2011 at 2:50 am

Just read the interview and OMG! can't wait to get my hands on thise game. And I really like all the easpects of the game I have rad so far. The improvements over Hegemony will make it game of year if I may pridict so. I want to beta test!! :D

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on December 10, 2011 at 11:07 am

All these pictures are very cool. Allow me to say that i hope you will redifine the alliance system, allies should act on their own, allowing allies to help each other automatically in case of grave danger, or even call them to join you to a planned war against a few cities, and maybe share spoils of war...at least on sandbox mode where there are not historical battles applied during the gameplay

Posted on December 10, 2011 at 12:17 pm

... allies should act on their own ...

More AI vs AI combat is part of the plan for Rome - this will have the biggest impact in the sandbox mode but will impact the diplomacy. At this point the improvements to the diplomacy system are still largely on paper because they get built on top of everything else, but the system in Gold was literally tacked on at the end and we've got a lot of ideas both to expand it and better integrate it in Rome.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 10, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Question: what is the unit scale in those screenshots? 20:1 ? and what the maximum number of men will be in each unit?

Level 8 Human Contractor
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Can't wait to sink my teeth in to this. Absolutely one of the most anticipated titles for me.

Posted on December 11, 2011 at 12:11 am

Question: what is the unit scale in those screenshots? 20:1 ? and what the maximum number of men will be in each unit?

Although we've made the units notably smaller in Rome to allow for more battlefield manoeuvring room, the actual scale is still well above 20:1 since we need to keep the units visible from a distance and with a map almost 1000km across we still want to keep travel time reasonable.

As far as the number of men in a unit, we are hoping to increase it somewhat and one of the recent screenshots shows a unit with about 50% more men than what was in Gold. However, we're also working on significantly improving the AI for individual men in terms of formations and collisions and the extra processing time this requires puts a limit on how many guys we can have present in the game at once.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 11, 2011 at 8:01 am

Hm....more men on game vs good AI.... i guess it needs the right balance!! both are wanted very much!

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Posted on December 11, 2011 at 9:54 am

Am I seeing some variation in the models? Half the units moving through the trees in the fourth screen seem to have brown hair while half have grey, nice touch!

Posted on December 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Am I seeing some variation in the models? Half the units moving through the trees in the fourth screen seem to have brown hair while half have grey, nice touch!

Yep, units in Rome support multiple faces/hair and shields per group. We've also implemented a new animation system that supports a lot more variety so you'll see the units walking and running in different ways which we're hoping will help convey the lower discipline of the non-Roman factions.

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on December 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm

will the units on the walls have thier own animations and different shield designs, because in the picture they all had plain red shields.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 11, 2011 at 3:19 pm

i believe roman units all had the same shields per unit....

Posted on December 11, 2011 at 5:47 pm

will the units on the walls have thier own animations and different shield designs, because in the picture they all had plain red shields.

ok, you caught us on this one. The shields weren't quite working when i took this shot but I didn't think anybody would catch it at that distance. The units on the walls will have all the features of the regular units including multiple faces and shields. They share some of their animations with the regular units but will also have a few unique ones. For Rome we've switched to a new animation package (3DS Max for Rome vs Lightwave for Philip/Gold) which makes it a lot easier to have more animations.

i believe roman units all had the same shields per unit....

Yeah, the romans are much more uniform than the Gallic or German forces and my understanding is the romans did mostly use the wings and thunderbolt design; however, I've found a few variations on that design and we were planning on taking a few liberties to help differentiate the different legions like the 5th vs the 10th for example.

Pages 1 2