Skip navigation

A random fans thoughts on Hegemony and the Rome announcement

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > A random fans thoughts on Hegemony and the Rome announcement
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Why make a Rome game when the market is flooded with countless excellant RTS's, turnbased, ect games based around rome, and VERY frew around the Greek world?
Personaly i think this company has found a niche that it should continue to exploit by bettering their current game Hegemony.

Right now Hegemony feels like half a game (an excellant half though). The diplomacy system could be expanded upon, Metagame right now is non existant beyond supply lines, how about adding city building features? Keep the current system of capture cities on the map, but let the players build structures within that city that might improve units made, or unlock new unit types that can be built there? Cities just feel lifeless in their current form.

Dont get me wrong, Hegemony is a great game, but i think the devs are jumping to quickly onto the Rome bandwagon, when they have a diamond in the ruff with Hegemony?

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on December 5, 2011 at 2:15 am

Thanks for the comments. There were certainly a lot of factors that went into our choice for Rome for this project: on one hand it was probably the most frequent request we got from fans but on the other hand you're right that there's a lot more competition with Rome and it has already been covered by many great games. However, as we enjoyed raising the profile of a relatively obscure figure like Philip II in the original Hegemony, in Rome we thought we'd try a very famous figure but show a side that not many people know about. Rick's been working on a great campaign that highlights some of the key people and events that led to Caesar's rise to power and I think even players quite familiar with Roman history are likely to come away with some new insights into this fascinating figure.

Regarding expanding the gameplay, there will be a lot more construction in Rome including the ability to add buildings to your cities to upgrade their stats such as garrison strength, supply capacity or unit recruitment. We are also planning to flesh out the diplomacy system from Hegemony Gold and stay tuned for more details as we get closer to release.

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 6, 2011 at 12:12 am

Dropshadow, keep in mind that there are certain limits to the engine that was used in Hegemony: Gold. By having a new game in a new setting they have given themselves the opportunity to rewrite lots of code and to 'remake' the game engine how they want. So you want upgrades and new buildings....this is possible with a new engine but would probably require some messy work-arounds with the old engine.

The point of doing a new game setting means that they can sell their new game as a new game rather than as just an upgrade pack of the same world and story. Quite frankly, from the sounds of things this is going to be a whole new game. Lots of new and interesting content and ideas. I was a little turned off by their choice of timeframe and scale at the beginning but the team seems enthusiastic that they can do it; the enthusiasm has rubbed off onto me.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on December 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Like to be able to add buildings, it gives a choice to the player. Instead of marching off immediately, he can build and then advance.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 17, 2011 at 4:45 am

I was wondering if the AI will be alot more aggressive in ROME? i.e actually expand and attack one and other, rather than remaining stagnant until you made contact with thier borders. This was a major reason for the game going stale for me personally.

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 18, 2011 at 11:36 am

To answer tumbitiger: Rob posted this response on Nov 11, here's a link to the thread
... do you plan on coding in a Campaign AI that will attempt to expand at the expense of other AI factions

Yes, it is the plan to have options for more aggressive and expansionist AI in Rome. We had hoped to do that for Gold but it proved too ambitious for our timetable due to performance and balancing issues. We've got a lot of ideas for expanding the sandbox mode, some of which have been implemented already and some that are still on our wish list, so stay tuned for more news.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Cheers Brushy :)