Skip navigation

New Game Idea

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > New Game Idea
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 27, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Hello ive just bought a book dealing with this era that would be ideal for a future game in this series. The book deals with after Alexander the Great's death and when his empire was carved up by his generals. How over 50 years they fought over the eastern Mediterranean. I thought that would make a great game later on. I dont know if that would appeal to anyone later on? Otherwise these are still great games and look forward to your next one good luck.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm

There did seem to be a school pushing for a Diadochi focused sequel, which would have been amazing indeed. But to do it even half right the map would have to be something like ten times bigger than the map in Hegemony, and if it lacked the level of geographical detail we got in Philip I think the game would suffer. Of course no other series could do at as well either. Wow it would have been awesome. But Gaul and Caesar seem like a perfect for the engine and style to me. Someday for the Diadochi, maybe. Done rambling now.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Hello i can see your point about the map issue which is a pity. But this new game with Caesar. Is it only his campaign in Gaul then? I was hoping it was going to deal with the whole struggle in the Roman empire and its civil wars at that time. I always find that if its going to be just his campaign in Gaul its a bit uneven the contest even if Caesar had a few tight moments there.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on December 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Caesar vs the Gauls might be a bit uneven, but it wasn't a foregone conclusion that Caesar would conquer the whole territory. The Romans had been sending governors north for years, and had long since gotten used to the Gauls being an independent peoples. Caesar was initially planning to campaign in Illyria, another province assigned to him at the time, but the migration of the Helvetii and then Ariovistus's aggression against the Aedui drew him into Gaul. It all worked out well for him, of course, but like Philip he far exceeded popular expectations. It's not as if it was just Caesar vs the Gauls at the time anyways; the Romans had numerous allies and the game provides plenty of opportunities for diplomacy. Caesar eventually turned almost all of Rome's allies in Gaul against him at one point or another, so we'll have that to live up to.