Skip navigation

Newbie Need Help

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Newbie Need Help
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 11, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I've just recently got Hegemony Gold, and I've been playing the Spartan's in Sandbox on easy mode. I've read the game manual and thought I understood the game concepts. However I'm having a difficult time trying to keep captured cities from revolting. I try to connect them to farms but they don't connect to all of them and I don't see that it does any good because they are constantly running out of food. I also try to have workers move food into the newly captured cities but I can never keep enough workers moving enough food into them. I also feel like I have to keep a rather strong garrison of troops in a newly captured city to keep it from revolting, therefore tying them up from conquering more cities. It seems like it's not worth capturing very many cities because I'm constanly putting out the fires of revolt.

I also don't think I fully understood the whole recruiting process either. I've noticed in my capitol city I'm getting a increase in generals.

What's the best strategy to play a successful game?

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 12, 2011 at 10:12 am

Have you upgraded all of the supply routes? You should also use sheep to feed your cities, because they are way more effective than workers in my experience. For the revolt problem I would recommend spearmen, but I don't think Sparta can recruit those. You'll have to use local mercenaries, just don't waste your spartan hoplites for garrisoning.

Level 9 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 12, 2011 at 11:12 am

First of all, you only need a certain amount of troops to garrison a city. its normally somewhere around the 20-40 mark, but can go high for some huge cities. If you have not enough food though the town will revolt regardless of how many troops. So make sure you don't have too many soldiers in the town. They will eat food and are not doing anything useful. Food issues definately sound like your main problem. Also, generals do not increase in the sandbox mode. If they are apperaing in towns it is because they have been defeated in the field and are re-spawning back in their homecity.

The best startegy is to expand slowly and to garrison each town with cheap units like spearmen from your home territories. Try and get the minimum amount of soldiers that you need. Also, Sparta is maybe not the easiest nation to play. Have you tried playing the Philip of Macedon campaign? It is easier I think because of the stronger Phalanx units and because there are so many missions that give you plus money and other bonuses.

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on November 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

Both JS and Blxz are right. But also don't forget to tweak your cities' food reserve settings either. Set your core cities reserve to 25% while the newer, more front-line cities to 75% or 100%. This will divert any excess food above minimum to the newly conquered cities to help keep them from revolting, supply your garrison, and stockpile food for your next advance.