Skip navigation

Main Story Line

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Main Story Line
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Just wondering how closely you have to follow the main storyline when doing the macedon campaign. ive defeated bardylis and the illyrians and the new quest that popped up was to go take olosson (Sp?) from the thessalian league but im still getting heavily raided by the illyrians and i really want to finish them off so they will stop.

so yea just wondering like how closely i need to follow that main quest line. Cheers Knoddy

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm

The Illyrians are actually one of the biggest factions in the game, so I'd suggest just fortifying that border and leaving them 'till later.

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on October 22, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Yeah, its worthwhile to maybe try and find a good choke point somewhere and just defend. I went after the Illyrians in my first game and somewhere along the way I got lost and ended up controlling the northern half of the map and totally ignoring greece. The 'story' missions are totally not time dependant so play and expand however you want but its worthwhile to balance your expansion.

I also suggest that you head east, even though there is not much reason to want to go there to a new player there are actually quite a few Macedonian cities east of Pella that you might want to control. But long story short, just explore the game and expand wherever you feel like.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Just wondering how closely you have to follow the main storyline when doing the macedon campaign. ive defeated bardylis and the illyrians and the new quest that popped up was to go take olosson (Sp?) from the thessalian league but im still getting heavily raided by the illyrians and i really want to finish them off so they will stop.

so yea just wondering like how closely i need to follow that main quest line. Cheers Knoddy

Being a fellow Newbie, and just having gone through your dilema, I can share what I did. Yes the Illrians were a pain in the butt so I decided that they were the first to be dealt with. Actually they were second; First I took out the Paeonians, because they had mines; then just east of Dardania there is a fort where I placed a phalangite brigade. The Illyrians just kept coming until they exhausted themselves, then I went into Dardania and took over most of Illyria; then started heading East(Thrace) toward the Nestus River. The very first thing to do however, is to take Olosoon so you can have Catapults which are invaluable in a siege.
Makes sieges so much easier.
Meanwhile after taking Olosoon I made a truce with Thessaly. After taking Illyria I made a truce with Epirus, so that left me free to deal with the East. After making it to the Nestus River, I turned back to Epirus.After taking Epirus, I made a truce with the Arcananians. I was unsuccessful breaking into Lamia and the Phocians were very tough so I turned North and East again. First taking Dalmatica and then sweeping through the North toward the East, eventually making it to Deultum(the Black Sea).

In sports parlance, I just took what the defense gave me, taking the towns I was able to, and coming back for the difficult ones. The very toughest part of this game is deciding whether you need mines or farms because there are a limited amount of nodes available at every town.

Truth be told, it took me nearly a year to figure out how to break out of Macedonia. I kept reading the Forums and with all their help, like looking under options in the game for type of food management, I was finally successful.
Now that I have broken out , I am on a roll. I will be finished taking all of Thrace soon and will then be strong enough to deal with any Greek contingents South of Thermopylae.

Good luck in your quest. This game is sooo much fun!!!

Posted on October 23, 2011 at 10:09 am

Be careful making and breaking truces all the time. Each time you break a truce the hostility of all factions goes up. This means you need larger garrisons to hold newly conquered towns and it will be slightly harder to make truces again in the future. Breaking truce with one faction will affect ALL others.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on October 24, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I took olosoon and am now weighing up my options, i realised that in fact i have several "quest" lines i can follow its just that was the one that was tracked at that time. Im unsure atm as to which direction i desire to go. pretty much all my outtermost towns are under attack from different enemies so im just shoring up my defense atm and deciding which direction to take.

Cheers For the replies ill let u know how i go :)

Knoddy

Posted on October 28, 2011 at 3:41 am

If you are able to, choose a direction you DON'T want to expand in for the mid-term and send your troops there. Put large numbers of troops around a few of the enemy cities and seige some of them down to half or quarter strength but don't take them. This will put their intimidation sky-high which will allow you to get a cheap truce with them. Maybe even get them to pay you for truce. Then you have a safe flank and you can go on a killing spree in the other direction.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 4, 2011 at 8:06 pm

dropping by with an update and a few troubles. i expanded and took paeonia, then moved into illyria, thessaly, methone etc. i pretty much hammered the illyrians but im having massive issues with them still. they have like 4 towns left, but my towns right up north are starving and rebelling as well as being under constant attack. i cant afford a truce because it costs like 700g. and i keep losing troops to rebellions and attacks.

I have it linked to 2 towns with high amounts of food both of which have their stockpile set to 25% and the main one im having trouble with is set to 100% but its a long way away from any other cities and its food stockpile just isnt going up. any1 have any ideas that mite help?

Cheers knoddy

Level 7 Human Delivery Man!
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Try upgrading the road. Click on the road itself and you should see the options in the usual lower right corner. This will allow more food to move between the cities.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 5, 2011 at 6:07 am

they are already upgraded but i have another question

land supply routes between cities. are these simply for food and food only. obviously to get the income benefit from mines and the food benefit from farms they ahve to be connected to cities. BUT does connecting 2 cities increase their income or just let them trade food?

the reason i ask is that i connect as many cities as i can which probably dilutes the effect of trading food. IE if i connect city 1 to city 2, then city 2 to cities 3, and 4. cities 3 and 4 have to share the food they get from city 2. but if i do 1 line of connections then the city at the end of the line gets enough. if that makes sense can anyone who understands what im saying tell me if im right? wrong?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

I find that it can often be useful to connect one city to several others, although it comes at the cost of less mines/farms connected to your network. If you just make one chain of connected cities, food might take longer to reach the end of the chain. It also means that any weak link will drag down the whole chain, and it means that if you lose a city somewhere in the chain, you might have problems.

The northern part of the map is definitely the most difficult to "break into". I'd suggest bringing sheep and using workers to transport food from your core cities (not slaves, since there are a lot of dark spot on the map up north). Tear down the walls of any cities you take up there, to minimize the garrison you need. It's also important to not bring too many troops, to minimize food consumption. Obviously, you don't want to bring too few, either. :)

Anyway, it usually takes me a few years to "stabilize" the cities up north. If at all possible, keep attacking. As long as your army is sitting next to the last city you took, the city will probably starve. If that's not possible, you need to dig in or pull back, and start sending as many flocks of sheep of possible up there.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm

mm hadnt thought of using workers. the problem with leaving small garrisons is that im under constant attack. and this is part of the problem, i move my troops out of the city to defend and the city starves. because the city has no food if i move troops out to go take another city, the troops have no food and therefore have no morale to fight.

still wondering is there any benefit to connecting cities other than food supply? because if not ill make one route all the way to the outter cities which im having drama's with.

also why when the illyrians have like 4 cities left. does a truce cost me like 800g. surely the intimidation factor that ill wipe them from the face of history shud force them to pay me or at least make it cheap.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 5, 2011 at 10:07 pm

mm hadnt thought of using workers. the problem with leaving small garrisons is that im under constant attack. and this is part of the problem, i move my troops out of the city to defend and the city starves. because the city has no food if i move troops out to go take another city, the troops have no food and therefore have no morale to fight.

still wondering is there any benefit to connecting cities other than food supply? because if not ill make one route all the way to the outter cities which im having drama's with.

also why when the illyrians have like 4 cities left. does a truce cost me like 800g. surely the intimidation factor that ill wipe them from the face of history shud force them to pay me or at least make it cheap.

Well i can answer that connecting cities can be important for food yes, but it also gives a little more income. For every suply line i think it ads +2 gold or something.
I dont know about the tributes ill be getting gold vers soon. Hope this helps.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 5, 2011 at 10:55 pm

it does a little.

i finally got illyria to agree to a truce, then like 5 minutes later they upped the amount. its also real annoying that going near any of their towers which i havnt bothered to capture inside my land causes breach of truce :S its payback for my laziness

i solved the food problem with workers.

now i just have to deal with the bloody chalcidice XD

Posted on November 8, 2011 at 7:58 am

Well the cost is so high because you are not very intimidating. You ahve taken a whole lot of land that you are having massive problems to try and hold. Chances are the land might rebel back to them. Plus it seems you are incapable of hurting them more so their other cities seem pretty safe.

What I am saying is that 'intimidation' increases most if you DON'T take their cities. If you have them all under seige and you 'could' take them if you wanted to and have wiped out their army and have a large one of your own then they wil be intimidated. You could very well wipe them out. Your current situation is not intimidating, I certainly wouldn't sign a truce with you if I were them.

Also keep in mind that their hostility is very high. This increases the gold cost, they just really really hate you and don't want peace with you, it makes them sick in their little barbarian guts to think about peace with you. So these 2 factors combine to give you a very high cost of peace.

Keep in mind that it works the other way around too; if you find some happy little treehuggers that don't hate you very much and then scare them by surrounding all their cities and starting seiges and wiping out their armies then they will pay you large amounts to leave them alone. Obviously if you take their towns then they won't pay you....because you didn't leave them alone.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm

it does a little.

i finally got illyria to agree to a truce, then like 5 minutes later they upped the amount. its also real annoying that going near any of their towers which i havnt bothered to capture inside my land causes breach of truce :S its payback for my laziness

i solved the food problem with workers.

now i just have to deal with the bloody chalcidice XD

I read in an earlier post, that once you've accomplished your quests within the Chalcidice, that you make a truce with them because they are hard to support, foodwise. it worked for me; there's no need for them after your quests are done in that area.