Skip navigation

Hegemony: Rome it is

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony: Rome it is
Pages 1 2 3
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 4, 2011 at 2:26 am

Good night!
Why should not make a campaign for the Gauls? For example, Vercengeterix unites the tribes of Gauls and win at Gergovia. Caesar one get tired of sooner or later.
Sorry for my english.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 4, 2011 at 3:07 am

Why should not make a campaign for the Gauls? For example, Vercengeterix unites the tribes of Gauls and win at Gergovia.

You will be able to play as vercingeterix and defeat the romans in the sandbox mode. We discussed making an alt-history campaign for the gauls but we decided that creating a bunch of objectives based on fictional events wouldn't really add that much and didn't really fit with the historical nature of the series.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 4, 2011 at 4:32 am

Thanks for the answer.
I offered to trace celtic campaign just before the Battle of Gergovia.
V-x picks up a rebellion among the Arvernes, after he was inciting rebellion in other tribes, smashes the Roman garrisons, and finally defeats Caesar at the walls of Gergovia. The final movie will tell the players about the defeat at Alesia and death in Rome.
No alt-history, but you (authors) see better.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 6, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Will the Britons have the "chariot's infantry" from Caesar's Book?

Posted on November 7, 2011 at 10:07 am

I might get in trouble from Britt for posting this concept while she's still working on it but yes, the british chariots played a big part in caesar's writings and we do plan to include them in the game. We're still working out some of their combat mechanics and we'll post more in the next few months.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 8, 2011 at 1:24 am

Chariots eh! You might also be able to include Them in the middle east (if you expand the map that far), for i heard that pontus used scythed ones :). (well more like played europa barbarorum quite a bit as the people of pontus and liked cutting peoples legs off with my chariots but whatever :D)
But yeah, chariots sound like a cool inclusion to the game, and i am interested to see how well, or otherwise, they work out to be. They could be tricky to make right so i hope they don't hold you back :).

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 11, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I for one am very excited to see the new title! Will there be a beta invited posted on the site or will there be an email invite?

The one additional campaign I think would make a great Hegemony title with this setting is the rise of the Roman Republic. I think it fits the sandbox/hegemony format well, and you start small, and build, truly from one small city state. This would be a truly epic campaign. Any thought to adding that at some point?

Thanks for making great games.

~Ordeith

Posted on November 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Will there be a beta invited posted on the site or will there be an email invite?

We should be announcing a beta in the new year and we'll post it on our site as well as in our new newsletter.

The one additional campaign I think would make a great Hegemony title with this setting is the rise of the Roman Republic.

When planning Hegemony Rome we did discuss doing something on the unification of Rome but at least for now we thought Caesar's campaigns had a better story for the campaign. We do hope we'll do extra content for Rome in the long run but for now we're totally focused on doing the best we can on the current game.

Level 8 Human Senior Business Analyst
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 2:49 am

Any idea (I know this might be to early to say) about the system requierements. Hegemony Gold was easy for my ATI 5850 to chew and I even enabled AA and Anisotropic which game me no trouble either. So the coding has been really wellwritten. Will AA be an ingame option?

Have You thougt about an option to allow the player to decide the level at which the game switch between board style and terrain style? It would be nice to decide with a slider :)

Weather will that be part of the game too? In north there is snow while the south is a more warm and sunny part.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on November 19, 2011 at 4:08 am

The system requirements are almost certainly going to be higher, but it's way too soon to be more specific than that.

AA should be an in-game option. It's just something that slipped through the cracks with the first game. It's really easy to add; the bigger time sink is in analyzing different machines to try to decide the best default options. For each additional graphics option we add, this takes more time.

For where to switch between the strategy map and the tactical map, I can't see that working well as a user-adjustable value. It's not just a performance issue - it's pretty deeply integrated as a design feature. You'll notice as you zoom out the names of smaller sites fade out and the names of larger regions fade in, so you're not overloaded with information you don't need. We could potentially make all these values moddable, but I don't think it's plausible to to have an in-game option.

Weather is very high on our wish list, but we're not committing to it yet. As a Canadian, I was also a bit disappointed to see that — with the exception of the Alps — heavy snow cover in France only seems to last about two weeks.

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm

So your saying the graphics will be better?

Posted on November 20, 2011 at 10:56 pm

So your saying the graphics will be better?

That's definitely our plan but we'll leave you guys to be the judges. We've certainly upped the detail and variety of the graphics in Rome significantly with 10x the terrain resolution, 30+ species of indigenous trees and shrubs using the latest version of SpeedTree, and a new unified shadow and lighting system.

We're working hard right now to polish the first bunch of screenshots so stay tuned in the next week or two for more details.

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on November 21, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Screenshots? Awesome...

Level 8 Human Senior Business Analyst
Posted on November 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Weather is very high on our wish list, but we're not committing to it yet. As a Canadian, I was also a bit disappointed to see that — with the exception of the Alps — heavy snow cover in France only seems to last about two weeks.

Arghhh, come on! :) I don't think that I need to see the snow or rain fall, but perhaps something like a change on terrain textures to simulate. So in North the winter will change from green to white and when it rains a few drops will appear on screen and change the ground textures to become more muddy. In the south the dry season will be shown by more light textures and more sandy (perhaps dust?). But a season will add penalty to units :)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on November 24, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Believe me, we want it to, and I really hope we'll get it. Rob's already done a bunch of research to see if he can modify the SpeedTree code to support changing seasons.

Level 8 Human Paladin
Posted on November 26, 2011 at 10:07 pm

How will the icons for units on the zoomed out paper maps look? I remember in another topic several months ago some of us had complained about how the icons looked very plastic-y in PoM and Gold. Will the textures in Rome have a different look and feel to them?

Posted on November 26, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Will the textures in Rome have a different look and feel to them?

Yes, we were never quite satisfied with the look of the miniatures in PoM/Gold. As part of a significant overhaul to the graphics for Rome we're going for a fairly different look for the miniatures. More like worn painted wood board game pieces: a little more abstract and a lot more textural.

Level 8 Human Hegemon
Posted on November 27, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Yes, we were never quite satisfied with the look of the miniatures in PoM/Gold. As part of a significant overhaul to the graphics for Rome we're going for a fairly different look for the miniatures. More like worn painted wood board game pieces: a little more abstract and a lot more textural.

This sounds perfect. Looking forward to this game more and more.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on November 28, 2011 at 12:05 am

Hey, when can I pre-order? I just beat Hegemony: Gold (well, the Philip campaign's main objectives and about 3/4 of the optional objectives) and I want to give you guys more money!

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on January 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Looking good

Pages 1 2 3