Skip navigation

Hegemony: Rome it is

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony: Rome it is
Pages 1 2 3
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 16, 2011 at 12:11 pm

All the speculation is at an end. Gotta say I'm not sure how well Hegemony will translate to a larger scale. Ancient greece with all it's shrines, temples, and settlements had an intimate feeling to it that I loved.

I would also have loved for Hegemony to continue to bring light to slightly more obscure parts of ancient history, Rome and Julius Caesar is about as mainstream as ancient history can get, but if it gets the series more exposure and sales then it's more than worth it.

I can't wait to see the game in action. Hope we get something more than just a soaring eagle animation soon. ;)

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on October 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

I think the conquest of Gaul will fit the engine very well. But it will require some serious work on the diplomacy side of things to portray the reality of it correctly. And if the factions remain totally static as they are now I can see myself being very disappointed with it. We need helvetii migrations and AI factions attacking other factions and calls from them for Roman intervention and alliances and help, etc.

If they just make a mod of Hegemony: Gold (apart from the new wood resource) I will be disappointed. So...definately waiting to see more content on this!! =D

EDIT: Also, I don't want to nitpick, but the teaser movie says he arrived as a general but left as Emperor. Not really true at all, admittedly he paved the way for Octavian to become Emperor but Caesar himself never became emperor or king. He was (eventually) proclaimed dictator for life but that was some time after his Gallic campaigns.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 18, 2011 at 12:59 am

Don't worry, there's more to come.

As far as the emperor comment goes, it's true that we were taking a small license with the title, but by the time Caesar returned to Rome for good, he was basically an emperor in all but title, and effectively created the Roman Empire.

Posted on October 19, 2011 at 2:38 am

A bit of peotic license is good. Am looking forward to seeing all the content you will be bringing out in the future. Do it justice, I do love hegemony!

Level 7 Human Senior Business Analyst
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on October 26, 2011 at 11:38 am

I simply had to login to say Wohoooooo!!!!!

I really look forward to this game. I like Hegemony a lot, but the landscape was a little simple and looked the same every I look, so I do hope that you'll change that. And plz include a a kind of skirmish mode where I can start from scratch and build my empire against the computer :)

And one more thing, I would like to be able to zoom out a little more and still control my forces.

Just wishes and I buy this game anyway ;)

Level 8 Human Student
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on October 31, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Forgive my ignorance but is Rome going to be about the rise of Julius Caesar or will it have a longer timespan?

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on October 31, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Hegemony Rome focuses on Caesar's campaigns in Gaul (58BCE - 51BCE) which marked the turning point in his career that led to his rise as the sole leader of Rome. We've broken the story into four chapters that cover the major events like his campaigns against the Helvetti and the Belgae as well as his invasion of Britannia and the revolt of Vercingetorix.

There will also be various sandbox modes where you can play as any of the factions (Roman or non-Roman) without objectives.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 31, 2011 at 5:11 pm

That's interesting. I wonder if time in Rome runs at a slower pace than in PoM/Gold, since that game certainly wasn't beatable in 7-8 in-game years?

Posted on October 31, 2011 at 9:37 pm

That's interesting. I wonder if time in Rome runs at a slower pace than in PoM/Gold, since that game certainly wasn't beatable in 7-8 in-game years?

Like Hegemony Gold there won't be a time limit for playing the campaigns in Rome but we are looking at doing the seasons a little differently in the campaigns because the time of year plays an important role in some of the events we're covering. However, the seasons in the sandbox mode will work pretty much like before although we have been discussing adding some options to configure them for more variety.

Posted on November 1, 2011 at 12:41 am

In regards to the sandbox mode, do you plan on coding in a Campaign AI that will attempt to expand at the expense of other AI factions? Or will you keep the same style as Gold sandbox?

Posted on November 1, 2011 at 10:33 am

... do you plan on coding in a Campaign AI that will attempt to expand at the expense of other AI factions

Yes, it is the plan to have options for more aggressive and expansionist AI in Rome. We had hoped to do that for Gold but it proved too ambitious for our timetable due to performance and balancing issues. We've got a lot of ideas for expanding the sandbox mode, some of which have been implemented already and some that are still on our wish list, so stay tuned for more news.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on November 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm

How will the mission structure in the campaign be handled? Will it be like PoM/Gold, where objectives are grouped together, and the player is more or less free to do them in any order?

How many missions can we expect, roughly? More? Less? About the same? I'm asking because I really liked the mission based campaign of the first game, which did a great job of making me care about what I was doing, as well as providing excellent historical flavour. :)

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on November 2, 2011 at 5:06 am

Very happy about this...

How big will be the sandbox map?

Cheers

Level 7 Human Physicist
Posted on November 2, 2011 at 8:03 am

Great News!

I bought the last game and enjoyed it. I loved the learning history experience along the way with plenty of tidbits of information about towns and characters.
The single biggest issue (by far) I had with the game was exactly the same issue I had in Rome Total War and many other such games.

The mid to end game steamroller! Once you reach a certain size, you are unbeatable with big armies, good income and its get repetitive and boring really quickly. I struggle to finish any campaign (here and in most of the TW series for example) simply because past a certain point, I'm too strong and nothing is going to change that. In reality, this does not occur. Empire face challenges from within etc amongst other things. Caesar for example campaign typically with vastly less troops than those that opposed him. Anyhow, any thoughts gone into this issue?

Thanks and Good luck!

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on November 2, 2011 at 8:56 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Trying to avoid a mid-game steamroller effect is tricky, but it can be even more frustrating if a game spawns endless random revolts to prevent expansion beyond a certain size.

We recognized the problem when developing Philip and tried to address it by not letting gold accumulate. We addressed it further, by adding a more formal bribe/treaty system to "Hegemony Gold".

We recognize that the steamroller effect is an important issue in games and we are trying to refine and develop even better solutions for Rome.

Posted on November 2, 2011 at 10:23 am

How will the mission structure in the campaign be handled?

The campaign structure will follow pretty much the same formula as the earlier games with more similarities to the new Peloponnesian campaigns in Gold. Rather than the single large campaign we did in Philip which few people were able to finish, we broke Caesar's campaign into four chapters so there will be more options on where to start and player's who don't have time for a 60+ hour campaign can still try some of the later content.

Britt and Rick have also been working hard on the new cutscenes for Rome which we hope will help introduce the major characters like Caesar, Pompey and Labienus and establish them as real people with real motivations. They will also help to give players a little insight into the political events going on back in Rome that were influential to Caesar's campaign.

How big will be the sandbox map?

The map covers roughly the same amount of terrain as in PoM/Gold covering central Europe from about the middle of the UK down to northern Italy and from the Atlantic to western Germany. The map might feel a little bigger because we've increased the resolution of the terrain and made the units a little smaller to allow for more manoeuvring room on the battlefield.

The mid to end game steamroller!

Balancing the mid-game is one of the hardest things to do when developing a strategy game in part just because it is extremely resource intensive to play-test 20+ hours into a game to test the long term ramifications of a balance change.

However, as Jim pointed out I do think Hegemony does this better than many strategy games because your income doesn't accumulate and the locality of your food supplies makes it justifiably hard to concentrate an overwhelmingly large army in a single location like you can in TW.

Be assured this is an issue we're conscious of and when we get to public playtesting in the new year we'd love to get your feedback on how it works in Hegemony Rome.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on November 2, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Sounds like it should be pretty cool. The 1st Century BC is probably one of my favorite time periods, too. Any plans to do any post triumvirate stuff? Might be fun to do the Civil War campaign between Caesar and Pompey. Or something with Pompey's campaigns against Mithridates, or any of his other stuff.

Posted on November 2, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Sounds like it should be pretty cool. The 1st Century BC is probably one of my favorite time periods, too. Any plans to do any post triumvirate stuff? Might be fun to do the Civil War campaign between Caesar and Pompey. Or something with Pompey's campaigns against Mithridates, or any of his other stuff.

There really is alot of scope for this genre of game. The focus on smaller more intimate regions is refreshing. But I'm not sure the roman civil war would work too well. The area involved, for one, is staggering and the game would lose alot of the detail without a massive map increase. Secondly the politics played a large part in the civil war and I don't think the game quite fits that grand scale so well.

Having said that, lots of Caesar's other campaigns could work and there is still a whole host of other periods to focus on throughout history. I very much hope to see this game engine continuing and developing for at least a few more interations.

Posted on November 3, 2011 at 1:59 am

We do have some plans on how we can expand and follow up on Caesar's campaigns but right now we're focused entirely on making Hegemony Rome the best game we can.

In theory though, as Blxz pointed out there are some difficulties with the civil war, most notably that the few major battles are spread across a huge territory from Greece to Spain and down into Africa. Not that there wouldn't be ways to do it but it also doesn't fit the expansionist style we prefer for the primary campaign.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 3, 2011 at 5:03 pm

The campaign structure will follow pretty much the same formula as the earlier games with more similarities to the new Peloponnesian campaigns in Gold. Rather than the single large campaign we did in Philip which few people were able to finish, we broke Caesar's campaign into four chapters so there will be more options on where to start and player's who don't have time for a 60+ hour campaign can still try some of the later content.
This is a wise decision. I made it about 85% through Hegemony's main campaign, then had to take a break for awhile. When I tried to get back into it, it was so overwhelming I just couldn't finish. Not that the actual challenge was overwhelming -- I had more than enough resources to take out Sparta and Athens -- but the attention and concentration required for the real-time gameplay, combined with the sheer size of Philip's empire by that point, made it more stressful than fun, so I quit (which made me sad, because I love the game system and was determined to win it).

Pages 1 2 3