Skip navigation

Trouble Getting Particle Fire 2 to recognize 2nd Monitor

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > Trouble Getting Particle Fire 2 to recognize 2nd Monitor
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 10, 2005 at 6:41 pm

Let me start by saying that Particle Fire 2 is absolutely awesome. I've spent too many minutes/hours/days watching it on my previous box.

However, I recently replaced my primary box, and am now running a BFG Nvidia 6600 GT with the same two Dell 1801FPs that I had previously.

Though now I cannot get Particle Fire 2 to recognize (run) on my 2nd monitor. It starts up fine on the first monitor, but no dice on the 2nd.

I will be truly sad :( , if I can no longer enjoy it on both monitors, and in fact I'm getting ready to add a Samsung HDTV to my setup as well, as was looking forward to Particle Fire 2 on all 3 displays.

Can you please provide me witha few possible places to look in my configuration for a possible fix?

Thanks,
Shannon

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 11, 2005 at 8:04 am

Due to the dual monitor feature, you can't use a resolution higher than 1024x768, just to mention another bug.

Level 16 Human gamer
Posted on August 11, 2005 at 8:41 am

I am having the same problem, only mine is due to a reformat of my hard drive.

I tried the 1024x768 setting in both Particle Fire 2 and both my monitors and it still only runs on one.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 11, 2005 at 3:15 pm

I am having the same problem, only mine is due to a reformat of my hard drive.

I tried the 1024x768 setting in both Particle Fire 2 and both my monitors and it still only runs on one.

Haha, THAT'S what I call dual monitor support! :P

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on August 11, 2005 at 5:28 pm

Sounds like you may have the original version of PF2 which would only display on one screen. You can download the latest version from our website using the 'Download Centre' link on the left side. The new version has an 'Allow Multiple Monitors' checkbox in the screen mode section on the settings page.

As far as resolution goes, PF2 will go higher then 1024x768 if your video card/monitor supports it. The only problem is that on some machines the act of switching resolutions will trigger the screen saver to turn off. PF2 works best if it's set to your current screen resolution.

cheers,
rob

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 11, 2005 at 7:52 pm

Whatsoever, I remember a problem with the latest version, where the screen wouldn't strech out when I changed the resolution for the screensaver. It was like having a window of particle fire 2 in the resolution 1024x768 (the desktop resolution), while the actual screen saver resolution was set to 1280x1024...

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on August 14, 2005 at 12:45 pm

Rob,

I'm really not sure what changed. I purchased a licensed copy of Particle Fire 2 probably 6 months ago (or so). I downloaded a version of the screen saver to my machine (for the purpose of reinstalling in the future, if necesary), and installed it and it ran fine for the entire time.

Upon reinstalling on my new system, for whatever reason it stopped working, but you're absolutely correct, I downloaded the lastest version and the "Allow Multi-Monitor" option appeared in the Screen Mode settings and the screen saver immedaitely began to work on both montiors, at 1280x1024.

Thanks a million, I know it seems funny to be so excited about a screen saver, but it's not your average screen saver then either.

Regards,
Shannon