Skip navigation

Slight modding help

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Slight modding help
Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on October 7, 2011 at 2:05 am

I am thinking of playing through again but I feel like a "Lite" version. So I wanted to edit and reduce the required garrison for each city to stop rebellion so that I can be a little more sandboxy and make my own houserules.

Any tips or information about how I would go about that?

Posted on October 11, 2011 at 1:34 am

Seriously, no one has tried to mod this game and can offer any help? Not even the devlopers?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 11, 2011 at 5:08 am

I can help, but it's not going to be easy.

First, open Resources/Entities/Campaigns/campaignlist.xnt and find the campaign you're interested in. Change the campaign file from ending in .fi to .xml. The .xml versions load slower, but you don't need any special tools to edit them.

Next, open the .xml file you just referenced. The first thing you need to do is delete the <messages></messages> block at the end of the file, otherwise it won't load properly.

Now look for the word 'hostility'. Each faction can have a different hostility compared to each other faction, and by turning this down you'll reduce the chance of that faction rebelling. This won't eliminate the chance entirely, since there's other factors involved, like population size, but it will make a difference.

Posted on October 19, 2011 at 3:06 am

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for your help. I've made the changes but have yet to test them since I must work soon. Was a little confusing at first but I made changes to all entries that have faction1='Macedonia' in relation to all the other factions. Hopefully that should sort it out. Will playtest later.

Although I wonder if you can answer for me if its savegame compatible?
Also does hostility affect anything else such as chance of enemy raids or size of raids or anything at all other than as a factor in the required garrison and in the gold cost of peace deals?

Thanks again for your help. Will let you know how it goes within a few hours.

Also, I didn't have to remove <messages></messages> anywhere. Even using the search function I could not find even a partial line of that text anywhere in the file. A little concerned. Will find out shortly!

EDIT: Ok, its not save-game compatible by the looks of things but all hostilities have been changed around in my new game according to the diplomacy screen. I have yet to take a non-macedonian city in my new game to test out what effect this will have on rebels, etc, but will see how it goes later. Also I'm glad I factored in the Philip missions that increase faction hostility, set those ones a little lower in the settings to compensate for this. Should be a nice fun game where I can take my own pace. Thanks again Rick, very helpful and nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be when I saw your post.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm

As far as I can recall, the hostility should only affect diplomacy and rebellion.

If you want to edit your saved games, you can open the console with the ~ key and type 'savegame -xml <some file name>' and you should see an editable xml file in your saved game directory that looks just like the campaign file, except bigger. Click here if you're not sure where your saved game folder is.

When you do that, you might see some unnamed tags in the <messages> section at the very end of the file, and I don't remember if they cause a problem or not. If so, just delete the whole <messages> section and you should be fine. When you're ready to use it, just change the .xml extension to .HegemonyGoldSaveGame and it should show up in your saved games list in the game. Click here if you don't see any file extensions.

Posted on October 19, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Thanks again, but its too late. I normally only run a single save file to stop things cluttering up. And that has since been overwritten. Only had about 3.5 hours in it anyway, really only the beginning areas of Macedonia and the 4 Paenonian cities to the north anyway. A restart is not difficult.

Thanks again for your help.