Skip navigation

Great Game...One Tip of any new Title!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Great Game...One Tip of any new Title!
Level 8 Human Physicist
Alignment: Good
Posted on September 20, 2011 at 10:38 am

Howdy,

Loved the game but I have one issue.

The game is big which is great. However, I feel that once you get to a certain size, you can just steamroll the map and
a significant amount of time is spent just repeating seiges and takin new lands without much effort.

Many games suffer from this...where you get too strong and the rest of the game is not a challenge. I never finished
any Total War game purely because once I hit a certain size, I know I can't be beat and lose interest rapidly.

So I encourage you developers to think about what kind of balancing can be put into any new game that can ward of this
mid to end game repeation and lack of challenge. Think of real life empires...what limited their expansion?

Just things that come to mind....

* Ethnic groups penalities. I already see that in Hegemony.
* More awareness from the AI that its being steamrolled. Coalitions forming to resist your expansion somehow.
* Many empire (if not most), rot from within from issues such as a lack of acceptance of a heir or complication
of succession or even rebellious personalities. I think a larger empire need more internal instability.
The Mongols at their maximum expansion were divided in smaller empires when the choice of a new Khan was not accepted by
all.
* Again with the Mongol, many kept in line by their invincibility. Cities that resisted were razed and other learned
not to resist. In game, repeated defeats could sow doubt within your empire and the more rebellion regions could
rise up if they felt your military was beatable.
* Communication across vast distance could be modelled. If a situation unfolds 1000km away, it would be days before
new travelled to the leadership. The empire could upgrade signal stations (stations where horses would be changed
for fresh ones to transport orders and intelligence) to improve things but larger empire should still suffer from this
more. Also historical, a lack of rapid responses, tends to allow rebellions to grow and spread.

I think real world history has the answer. Anyhow, I really encourage you guys to address the end game steamroller
that the player has in your future titles. I'll be looking to buy again ofcourse :)

Thanks and good luck!

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 20, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Here's another tip for a new title: Tell us what it is already. Who wants to wait for New York Comic Con? Whatever that is.

Level 8 Human Test Dummy (MK III)
Alignment: Lawful
Posted on September 22, 2011 at 8:49 pm

were all waiting...and waiting...and waiting...

Level 8 Human Truffle Farmer
Alignment: Good
Posted on October 3, 2011 at 7:57 am

Ok, having read your post I justnot sure you understand the scale of this. We are talking about greece and some of the balkans. We are not talking about an empire the ranges from northern China to almost the mediterranean. There is a distinct difference. Furthermore we are talking about the lifetime of a single ruler rather than an empire over the span of multiple generations. There is simply not enough time to have these decay things occur.

Not though that those things didn't happen upon the death of the main characters son. Read all about the diadochi wars and you can see it in effect. Unless the timeline is extended until then, everything else would just be an arbitrary event.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 11, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Good post. I gave up playing this much faster than I thought I would because it rapidly turns into a steamroller fest. The other states don't make war with each other and don't ally, so you just take them one at a time until you win. No tension. No surprises. No struggle. No challenge. There is just something *dead* about it. Which is a pity because there is a huge amount of development talent involved.