Skip navigation

3D Sound in Tread Marks

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > 3D Sound in Tread Marks
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 5, 2011 at 3:42 am

I recently try to use 4 speaker configuration with tread marks (v1.6.1), but why no sound come out from rear speaker? In other games, it works fine. Btw, i cannot choose sound output other than directsound, no A3D 2.0 there.

Hopefully i not put this thread in wrong forum. Thanks

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm

TM was written before a 3d sound standard was adopted. The original version of TM (1.0, released 2000) utilized a competing line of 3d sound that didn't catch on in favor of Creative's 3D sound system, of which A3D (I believe) has since replaced. 3d sound was dropped in TM 1.5 (released 2001) due to the implementation that TM used no longer being supported by sound cards. Since the core product was complete at that point, there has been no effort to add 3d sound back into TM now that the industry has settled on a standard.

Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 6, 2011 at 12:06 am

Thanks for your detailed reply, Random Chaos. You are right, i tried to re-install TM v1.0 and A3D sound is there and working properly, updating to v1.6 and 3D sound is not available anymore. Well, I uses creative soundcard here, and i think because v1.0 can have 3d sound, it should be easy to add 3d sound support to the latest version?

Level 12 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 17, 2011 at 12:03 am

Thanks for your detailed reply, Random Chaos. You are right, i tried to re-install TM v1.0 and A3D sound is there and working properly, updating to v1.6 and 3D sound is not available anymore. Well, I uses creative soundcard here, and i think because v1.0 can have 3d sound, it should be easy to add 3d sound support to the latest version?That all depends on how much licensing for the code needed would cost. For a game this old, it may be cost-prohibitive. (and as a side note, there indeed appears to be directional sound in Tread Marks... even in 1.6.x, because certain announcements do seem to come from specific directions depending on where the weapon appeared.)