Skip navigation

Installation lag "Decompressing sounds..."

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Installation lag "Decompressing sounds..."
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 23, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Hello,

I just picked up Hegemony: Gold. While trying to install it I've run into a possible issue. At the end of the installation process (per the green progress bar) the installer displays "Decompressing sounds...". After more than 10 minutes it changed to "Decompressing sounds...2114 left".

It has now been running for over 25 minutes. Is it normal for this installer to take that long to 'Decompress sounds'?

Thanks

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on August 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm

It's not normal, no. That number should go down by 50 at least once a minute; usually more like once every 10 seconds.

Is it possible that you're low on hard drive space or something like that?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 24, 2011 at 6:11 pm

My hard drive partition has 248 gigs of free space. I hope that's sufficient ;)

Any other ideas?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 25, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Alrighty,

I've made further attempts at installation and, after an epic multi-hour install, attempts at actually starting up the game. I thought I'd outline some details and see if you can provide me with any further help.

I have a fairly new, Core i5 with 8 gigs of RAM, and I'm running Win 7 64-bit. I had no issues installing or playing the original Hegemony: Philip on Steam. My internal hard drive is partitioned into a system partition and an 'Apps' partition (for most non-utility or system programs, such as itunes, Steam etc...). I also have a couple of external hard drives. Other programs run fine (Deus Ex Human Revolution, Witcher 2, Civ V, VLC media player, Firefox, Office, the list goes on). As far as hard drive space, the System partition has the least amount of free space at around 92 gigs.

The first time I tried to install, I downloaded the installer to my main external drive, and tried to install Hegemony to the Apps partition. As I said, it took a long time. I finally left it installing for many hours and it did complete. I then tried to run the program, and while 'Launcher.exe' showed up under the processes in Task Manager, nothing else seemed to happen. I walked away from my computer, to return an hour or so later, and lo and behold, there was the game launcher, though clicking play achieved nothing.

I then unistalled Hegemony and deleted the installer, and the downloaded the installer to my desktop and tried to re-install it to the default installer location (C:\Program Files\...). Same issue, an extremely long time to 'Decompress Sounds'. Again, many hours later, the install completed, and once again, nothing seems to happen upon starting the launcher (I haven't let the launcher run long enough again to see if it will appear hours later).

So... there you go. Do you need any more info? Have any other ideas?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on August 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Try running the game exe directly: it's in the same folder as launcher.exe, but it's called "Hegemony Gold.exe".

Is it possible that you have a virus scanner or anything else that could be interfering with the game?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 30, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for the response Rick. I did some fiddling around with other utilities, and my best guess is that there seems to be a problem with Online Armor. When I've turned OA off, I was able to install and play the game, with no lag or issues. And I've checked the OA settings, and it says, Hegemon is allowed... very odd...