Skip navigation

Are you working on crashfixes for PoM?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Are you working on crashfixes for PoM?
Level 7 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I'm at a point where I cant play more than 5-10 minutes without my game crashing. Support forums show that other people are experiencing crashes as well.

Are you planning on fixing these?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 18, 2011 at 11:37 pm

There's one bug we're working on, but it's rare and doesn't cause any crashes. If you're using the latest version, crash bugs are very, very rare in Hegemony. The most common cause of the game crashing 5-10 minutes in is a video card overheating.

The first thing you should do is update your video drivers.

After that, there's different tools to check your video card temperature.

If you have an Nvidia card, install the Nvidia System Tools, then right-click on your desktop and choose "NVIDIA Control Panel" and choose the "Performance" tab. If you haven't already accepted the license agreement, do that.

If you have an ATI card, right-click on your desktop and pick 'Catalyst Control Centre'. If you're not already in advanced mode, click the Advanced button. The in the top-left corner, click the drop-down and select 'ATI Overdrive'. Click the key button to enable these features.

In both cases, you should now be able to see the temperature of your graphics card. Play the game until it crashes and then check the temperature. If it's below 70°C, that's fine, and if it's above 85°C, that's a serious problem. Anything in-between is a bit worrying, but depending on your computer, not necessarily a problem. You can also change the fan speed, and increasing it might help. Note that, for some reason, the Nvidia Control Panel seems to require that you set the fan speed twice in a row for it to take effect. (You can usually hear the difference when the fan speed changes.)

It could also be possible that your CPU is overheating, but nowadays a graphics card overheating is far more common.

(Note: The latest version of Nvidia System Tools at the time of writing (version 6.06) appears to have a bug where it may not show the temperature properly. If this is the case for you, I suggest using GPUZ to see the temperature.)

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on July 21, 2011 at 11:13 am

Not sure if this is the right place for it but the game crashes every time when I try to dismantle the fort at Arctonnesus next to Cyzicus. Tried it in the Macedon campaign and also in the Spartan campaign.

Posted on July 21, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Ah, just checked that myself and it seems to be repeatable. I've let Rob know.

Level 7 Human gamer
Posted on August 8, 2011 at 11:01 pm

My issue is not overheating. I have a brand new 450GTS and every single game I play I have graphics maxed out with hardly a hit to my core temp. Crashes are game-based. I went back to an earlier savegame and have been able to play more, but crashes still occur. Most recently I had zoomed all the way out and hit C or X or one of the buttons to zoom to a new event and it hung.

Started back up again at the most recent autosave and all of a sudden every single border enemy launched full-on attacks (that had not occurred previously when I was playing at the same moment in the game). Athens launched about 10 ships with an equal number of loaded troops, Thebes threw about 6 units at me, Illirya attacked two cities. All at once, and it had not occurred when I had played the exact same moment in the game before (only post crash).

I've noticed that oftentimes when I crash and have to reload, certain things are slightly off. One time, for instance, I suddenly had control of a minor city away from my border. Another time a fort had swapped sides. In the case of the city flipping, it was with that save that I experienced the highest cluster of crashes.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on August 10, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Ah, just checked that myself and it seems to be repeatable. I've let Rob know.

I have had similar problems when attempting to tear down those two side-by-side forts just north of Corinth.

Posted on August 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm

It's normal for the AI to do something different after you load a saved game: what the AI is thinking isn't saved, so once you load a saved game, it comes up with a new plan.

What's the exact error message when the game crashes? If it offers to save a dmp file, please send it to rob@longbowgames.com. Also, if you have a saved game that crashes often, please send it to us. Read this to find your saved games.

And I know you're convinced that it's not a hardware issue, but can you humour me and try running the game at low settings to see if it helps?