Skip navigation

How do you deafeat Thebes and its surrounding cities in H.PoM?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > How do you deafeat Thebes and its surrounding cities in H.PoM?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 15, 2011 at 5:12 am

I hace spent several hours trying to take over the cities around thebes but i have only managed to take over one of them and it is extremely difficult to keep it in my control without it constantly revolting or 5 hoplite regiments attacking every 2 minutes. My phalangilites, hoplite mercenaries, hypaspists and companion cavalry dont seem to be very effective against them and due to them attacking so often, i am having to move my defeated units back to the front line and am strugling to defend or attack effectively.
Any tips as to how i could defeat them any easier?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 15, 2011 at 9:54 am

Do you have any peltasts. Even one unit of peltasts behind your line throwing javelins into combat will help break enemy units much faster.

Other than that, spend a season or two harrying them before you move on their cities. You should have access to some excellent thessalian cavalry mercenaries. Have two or three units of those running around between the theban cities capturing fields, burning crops, and generally making the thebans pay less attention to attacking your cities and force them to play on the defence. The thessalian cavalry is stronger than the usual greek cavalry so you just have to run away from any hoplites that come out and you can fight and break any enemy peltasts or cavalry.

On they are focused on your cavalry far behind the front then you can bring up a quick siege force of 2-3 catapults and infantry to take a small city before the Thebans can mount an effective response. Once you have the city it's extremely unlikely that the Thebans will be able to mount an effective response. You don't need to win any big field battles, you just need to keep pressuring their supply lines and going for small, decisive sieges. If you have a fleet there's also the option of landing siege forces on a remote coast.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 15, 2011 at 11:46 am

Good advice. I was playing a sandbox game where I actually lost the biggest battle with the other side, but given that I manged to burn a lot of their farms before the counterattack their economy was destabilised and they were easy pickings over the following years. What a game - the ability to separate the tactical from the strategic in terms of decision making and outcome is the result of a sublime design.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 15, 2011 at 4:35 pm

thanks :). just need to deal with the Athenian Empire now.... :P